Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhas halos - body and head

Hello,

I am currently getting a tattoo of Siddhartha.

I will ask you to please forgive my ignorance in advance.

My particular tattoo features a halo around buddhas head, and also a body halo or mandorla.

I am going to have my tattoo finished shortly, so now is the time to pick the appropriate colours.

The head halo starts eminating yellow and changes to turquoise.

The body halo and mandorla, I have only had the outter coloured, which is currently turqouise, and my tattoo artist was planning on colour the inside yellow to match the head.
I just wondered if that would be symbolically correct, or if the body halo or mandorla is supposed to be a different colour.

I have used photoshop to give two examples... please note that the photo makes the tattoo appear stretched...in real life it is more symetric and generaly looks way better. (Note: the inner colouring on the body halo or mandorla has been done using photoshop, and currently isn't coloured in)

Complete turquoise:
62738_431196384435_543154435_5341057_7358731_n.jpg

Yellow inner to match head halo:
63867_431196174435_543154435_5341056_6307458_n.jpg

any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

As you can guess, I want to do this right because there will be no chance for corrections.

Thanks

Chaz :D

Comments

• StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Er....where are the photos?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2010
    yes....I'm sure the photos would be superb.
    seeing them would be a bigger bonus....:D
  • edited September 2010
    is that better? only I could see them before!
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Beauty... nice to have the Buddha close to your heart.
  • edited September 2010
    That's awesome.
    I would like to get one myself
    Embracing impermanence by getting a permanent tattoo :)
    I wonder what the Tibetan word for impermanence would look like as a tattoo?
    look forward to seeing it finished
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2010
    Yes, thanks guys....

That doesn't answer the question though...:rolleyes:

What the OP would like to know is whether we prefer colouration in photo #1, or photo #2. :D

I vote #2......;)
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited September 2010
    zenmonkey wrote: »
    I wonder what the Tibetan word for impermanence would look like as a tattoo?
    Pāli: अनिच्चा anicca; Sanskrit: अनित्य anitya; Tibetan: མི་​རྟག་​པ་ mi rtag pa

Should look pretty good.
  • edited September 2010
    Pāli: अनिच्चा anicca; Sanskrit: अनित्य anitya; Tibetan: མི་​རྟག་​པ་ mi rtag pa

Should look pretty good.

Thanks. Those would really nice. The Tibetan one isn't showing up on this PC properly, I guess I need to install a language pack or something.

And to answer the original question by the OP, I like #2
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited September 2010
    zenmonkey wrote: »
    The Tibetan one isn't showing up on this PC
    Found this on the 'Net:

1218742697_47f5d23fc8_z.jpg

As to the op - I too vote for #2
  • edited September 2010
    shanyin wrote: »
    Beauty... nice to have the Buddha close to your heart.

That's exactly why I am getting it placed there!!

Yet it is funny that tattoos are also impermanent!

However my tattoo, to me, is basically there so that if I ever sway off my path, or the direction I want to head... he is there to remind me to get back to the path.

My Girlfriend has tibetan tattooed on here wrist!

Hers says serenity and awakening, but yea tibetan looks really good tattooed.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I guess that answers my question, But I guess I also wanted to make sure that if I go for coloration 2, is it consistent with Buddhism as a tradition?

As in symbolically can the body halo be the same color as the head halo,
    or for internal consistancy is the Buddhas body halo supposed to be different from the head halo.... if you catch my drift??

If you don't think it matters either way then awesome, I just want to be consistent with the buddhist tradition! especially if he is going to be there all my life !:):)
  • edited September 2010
    So does anyone know if it matters?

as in will both colorations be consistent with buddhist themes and tradition??

That is the actual reason I posted, it is nice to see which ones you prefer, but I am looking for which one is traditionally correct.

Thanks!