Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I've got a leech om my leg.

nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
edited October 2010 in General Banter
There I was,just about to hop into bed and there it is.Down by my ankle having a drink.So much for being in bed by 10:00.
Now I gotta sit up and what for the little sucker to fill up and fall off.
Oh well,guess I can browse the site for a while.

Comments

• MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited September 2010
    You can simply scrape it off using a fingernail. Don't use the old salt or lit cigarette method, as that will cause the leech to regurgitate its stomach contents into the wound, which might contain pathogens. Most leeches are harmless though, even if they're creepy. If you scrape it carefully with your fingernail you'll break it's mouth suction and it will let go.
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Salt or flame... if you scrape you'll leave a part of it in you. Or just leave it, it's good for you.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Salt or flame... if you scrape you'll leave a part of it in you. Or just leave it, it's good for you.

Leeches can and do carry diseases in many parts of the world. There are documented cases of them carrying HIV and Hepatitis-C in Africa. They will carry whatever their host's blood carried. They also have parasites, although most of those are not able to live in humans.

As I noted, it is generally inadvisable to use salt or flame. This causes a reflexive vomiting by the leech, which will empty its stomach contents into the wound it has created in your skin and potentially cause infection. Simply scraping with a fingernail loosens the suction cup around the mouth, and the leech will let go. They do not usually leave anything behind (an old wives' tale - would you leave your jaws behind if someone pried the cheeseburger out of your mouth?). Scraping is the safest way to remove them.

Scraping is the method used when leeches are used medically.

Mtns
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited September 2010
    When I was little there was a lake near my house with leaches... so I just repeated what I was always told.

Interesting, thanks for correcting and informing me.
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I used the fill up and fall off method.It only took about 20 minutes.
    After I just took the little sucker outside and sent it on its merry way.
    I had heard that salt and heat could make them vomit and cause disease.So I figured just let it feed.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited September 2010
    whoa. i'm really glad that i learned all of this for future reference.

if you can't pry them off with a fingernail, is it bad to let them simply fill up and fall off? i mean, can you still catch diseases and pathogens from this method?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2010
    I guess the most compassionate thing to do would be to cut your leg off....

(That was a joke. Please don't try that at home....!)

This is an informative link....
  • edited October 2010
    well since we have an animal planet thread in the forum....

fact of the day naked mole-rats cannot contract cancer and scientist believe they can find a cure from them as well!

lol I like how you just give in and let the poor little feller give at your ankle