Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Unusual thoughts

edited September 2010 in Meditation
To give bit of an introduction I’m a 31 years old woman. This is about a very unusual situation I’m facing with my meditation. I was doing vipassana meditation for some time and I’m practicing it such a way even I’m not doing any meditation I am trying not to get my mind distracted for any external things means all the time trying to focus on the meditation. But lately I feel like some one trying to get hold of my mind and trying to insert unwanted thoughts in to that. I know it’s the force from my own mind. But it’s scary. When I try to calm down my mind and picture the sacred lord Buddha my inner mind trying to go against it and for a fraction of second I get the thoughts of destroying lord Buddha’s face and harassing. It’s not me but some strange feelings which pops up for few seconds and then vanishes. Because of this I’m unable to focus on my meditation and going crazy. Pls advice me and tell what’s causing this? Will it be a bad karma in return, but I do not encourage these crazy thoughts

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Hi Cham,

I think you're probably being too hard on yourself and focussing inwards too much, trying to give substance to passing thoughts/feelings.

A brisk walk, or a little outdoor activity of some kind might possibly be a helpful prelude to your meditation.

Do you belong to an offline meditation group ? It might be an idea to try to find one if you don't.

Meanwhile, doing some loving kindness meditation for a change might be helpful for you (one can direct metta to oneself as well as others)

http://www.buddhanet.net/metta.htm

Kind wishes to you,

Dazzle

• ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited September 2010
    It's ok, the mind doesn't like being examined and will throw everything it has at you. Just note those thoughts and carry on normally.
  • edited September 2010
    Thank you everyone. What I'm scared for is because of these unwanted thoughts which are out of my controlled, I may gather bad karma ??????????
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited September 2010
    The thoughts can be suppressed in the subconscious mind where you will never see the effect they have on you. Or you can keep meditating, get in touch with your subconscious and examine it. I think doing something is more likely to get good karma than not doing anything.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I've heard many times in meditation instructions that you should try not to judge your thoughts. I don't recall Buddha ever saying that bad thoughts cause bad karma (future suffering) but they can cause present time suffering.

I admit when I read the part about someone trying to insert thoughts into your mind, that's something that my mental health concelour always asks me if I am experiencing. He probably has been taught its a symptom of my illness. Don't worry about what I just said though.

Don't be too hard on yourself, and I'm pretty sure this problem you're facing is temporary.

Smile during your meditation!
  • edited September 2010
    cham2010 wrote: »
    To give bit of an introduction I’m a 31 years old woman. This is about a very unusual situation I’m facing with my meditation. I was doing vipassana meditation for some time and I’m practicing it such a way even I’m not doing any meditation I am trying not to get my mind distracted for any external things means all the time trying to focus on the meditation. But lately I feel like some one trying to get hold of my mind and trying to insert unwanted thoughts in to that. I know it’s the force from my own mind. But it’s scary. When I try to calm down my mind and picture the sacred lord Buddha my inner mind trying to go against it and for a fraction of second I get the thoughts of destroying lord Buddha’s face and harassing. It’s not me but some strange feelings which pops up for few seconds and then vanishes. Because of this I’m unable to focus on my meditation and going crazy. Pls advice me and tell what’s causing this? Will it be a bad karma in return, but I do not encourage these crazy thoughts

hi Cham2010,

i believe it is spiritual interference... my advice to you is never be attached or believe in these mind-states... sometimes they can use ego-tricks to try to entice you... making you believe that you have reached a high level of realisation or are above others etc. They will mix truths with half-truths ... be careful.. and continue meditating...

BTW, do you have a real-life teacher guiding you. It is very important to have guidance... teacher will also help you in this area.

Generally, we have to accumulate merit and purify obscurations together with doing meditation. Merit and purification ensures that one can progress on the path without hitting into serious obstacles. Some people emphasize these practices alot prior to starting on meditation. But for your case, since you are already meditating... can i suggest that you do the mantra OM MA-NI PAD-MAY HUNG at least 108 times a day and gradually increasing it to 1,080 a day... it will be helpful to you in your spiritual practice in all aspects. This is the mantra of the Buddha Avalokiteshvara, and it will help to generate merit and remove bad karma.

this is not an unusual situation... everyone of us have karmic creditors from past and there are always spirits around in this world. So in our practice to reach liberation, we are bound to encounter such situations of disturbance... especially if you are meditating seriously.

hope my advice helps.
  • ChrysalidChrysalid Veteran
    edited September 2010
    But it’s scary. When I try to calm down my mind and picture the sacred lord Buddha my inner mind trying to go against it and for a fraction of second I get the thoughts of destroying lord Buddha’s face and harassing.

That's funny because I have a similar thing happen to me, not usually when meditating as I don't visualise, but when I'm thinking of an image in everyday life my mind usually conjures up something to destoy it. My guess would be that it arises when our concentration begins to wane and our mind starts to daydream.

Will it be a bad karma in return, but I do not encourage these crazy thoughts
    Karma, good and bad, is action performed with intent. Actions performed accidently, or that yield results opposite of what was intended is not karma.