Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Finding motivation?

ravkesravkes Veteran
edited September 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I'm 20 years old, wavered around a 2.0 GPA in college so far (I'm a 4th year).. I'm not interested in my Management classes, nor anything else this school has to offer.

How does one find direction and motivation in a realm that's seemingly unknowable? I don't want to disappoint my parents and drop out with only about 2 years left.. but I dislike this school. I'd much rather leave and do a 2 year Nursing course. I'm drawn towards helping others.. but I wouldn't get into a good graduate school for Social Work or Mental health with my gpa.. so I think nursing may be a good track.

What should I do? Should I stick it out or should I drop and get an education in something I'd be interested in?

Comments

• TandaTanda Explorer
    edited September 2010
    1) If there are two items on your breakfast table,one you like and the other you dislike,which one will you eat?

2) Why do you choose not to disappoint your parents but yourself?

3) Is your liking for nursing education real and solid or it is just the rose in the other garden. It is normal for twenty year old to be still indecisive and explorative.

4)Management classes can also help you to help others. An organisation with different people with different skills need good managers to produce goods or services from their inputs. Even a monastery has to be managed or the monks will go to another monastery.

5) Whatever course you choose pls focus on developing solid sets of skills which you can make a living with. In this forum you can see people who say life is an illusion but my bill for this internet connection is real. I am able to pay because I have a job, even if I hate it and I got it because of my education which also I hated like you.

Good luck and best wishes.
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Tanda wrote: »
    1) If there are two items on your breakfast table,one you like and the other you dislike,which one will you eat?

2) Why do you choose not to disappoint your parents but yourself?

3) Is your liking for nursing education real and solid or it is just the rose in the other garden. It is normal for twenty year old to be still indecisive and explorative.

4)Management classes can also help you to help others. An organisation with different people with different skills need good managers to produce goods or services from their inputs. Even a monastery has to be managed or the monks will go to another monastery.

5) Whatever course you choose pls focus on developing solid sets of skills which you can make a living with. In this forum you can see people who say life is an illusion but my bill for this internet connection is real. I am able to pay because I have a job, even if I hate it and I got it because of my education which also I hated like you.

Good luck and best wishes.

1. I'd eat the one I like, however, didn't the Buddha say somewhere that if you're still focusing on your likes and dislikes you're not practicing the true dharma?

2. You're right, I should start being more kind to myself.

3. Very true, this could be something that just comes and goes. However, I always have had a passion for helping others. Despite my disinterest in school I have had two internships with non-profits and although the work was mundane the underlying motivator was the fact that I was waking up everyday and making a difference even though the pay wasn't very high. However, now that I'm getting a bit older I've been trying to be realistic:

- I probably will have to settle for a mundane job that isn't in the field I want to be in with my GPA.
    - Lots of non-profits require lots of experience or a masters in social work etc.
    - Nursing education (Along with an EMT Cert) are things that I would find myself to thrive in because I'd get up energized and ready to help. I don't have any skills. Management is truly a useless degree.

4. I've tried to find my classes to be interesting, but I constantly doze off. Sometimes even skip classes to learn about what I want.

5. You're 100% right. The only reason why I've stayed here is so I wouldn't have to be a burden on anybody. However, I think it may be time to carve my own path and stop listening to others. I don't want to make a hasty decision but I feel as if it's a smart decision.

Thank you so much for your response. :)
  • TandaTanda Explorer
    edited September 2010
    didn't the Buddha say somewhere that
    The zen quote is "If you find Buddha on your way, kill him"
    Don't cut and paste Buddha in your life and end up in an ugly and difficult collage work. When the understanding is correct you will drop both Buddha and his quotes because you know YOUR way and you won't even need this forum.
    this could be something that just comes and goes
    Beware! Again cut and paste?
    I always have had a passion for helping others.
    Helping others is not necessarily a Mother Terasa kind of thing. It can be even a running of a departmental store where customer gets what he wants and shops in comforts and willing to pay the price for it. Quality but paid services are better than minimal but economical, be it nursing or departmental store.

Some people are so much drawn into spiritual and metaphysical thinking in early days that they fail to devolope the social and economic skill for living as responsible citizen/family member. The deficiency will be as much damaging as to a man lost to drugs or nay bad ways.

Please examine your own position intelligently and take wise decisions. When later you understand Buddha's teaching correctly you can always renounce whatever you understand as excess baggage. Until the ,be rooted in the world around you.

Good wishes.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Ravkes -

Welcome my friend. You're talking to someone who was in a management degree program (aviation management) and hated it. I did finally graduate with about a 2.6 average, but had zero interest in the subject matter and no real direction. I ended up in the military for four years, where I admit I learned a lot about people and about life - and I was also horribly depressed and didn't know it because it was the 80s and nobody was talking about depression back then.

It took me nearly another 20 years to figure out what you already seem to have figured out - that a career that helps people is what I wanted. By a long, winding road I ended up in veterinary medicine (as the equivalent of a nurse), and eventually in human nursing. I had a 3.78 GPA in nursing school, and am now in graduate school working on a clinical doctorate in nurse anesthesia.

The point of telling you all that is, DO WHAT *YOU* WANT TO DO, not what somebody else wants you to do, nor worse than that, what you *think* someone else wants you to do. If you're worried about what your parents will think, try simply sitting down with them and telling them the plain truth: you're not interested in what you're doing and you think you'd like to try a different direction. If they're helping you pay for your education, it would be to their benefit to help you pay for something you're interested in, and at which you will more likely succeed. Also, if you either quit or change directions now, your relatively low GPA won't get worse, and it won't hurt you as much as continuing on in that vein.

You're still very young, and there is NOTHING wrong with not knowing what you want to be or do at your age. We push kids far too hard to be grown-ups, and grown-ups are supposed to have it all together and know everything. Well, we don't!

So my advice is: 1) take your time and figure out what you want to do. If that takes another 10 years, so be it. 2) If you're doing something counterproductive now, STOP doing it. 3) If you want to get into nursing or mental health, DO IT! And if anyone gives you grief about your 2.0, tell them why you have it - you are utterly disinterested in what you're doing, and that you think you have the ability to excel in one of the caring professions. Take some science classes and do well in them (chem, physics, statistics, etc). This will prove your case. 4) Talk to your parents. I guarantee they'll understand and be supportive.

I wish you the very best. If you feel like talking or have questions about nursing, I've been through the mill with that in fairly recent times, so I'm happy to help out. It's a great career, and I've met some of the most incredible people.

Best

Mtns
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Thank you for your responses. It's interesting when investigating passion, happiness and satisfaction. I think if we focus too much on the external situation and assume that our job is going to give us lasting satisfaction, but inevitably we will suffer because work sucks sometimes. I've recently been aware of how concepts (thoughts) literally create our reality. From the relationships with my girlfriend, to my friends, parents.. schoolwork.. work in general. Who is this that prefers Nursing work over Management work? Who is this 'I' that tugs me this way and that? The root cause of suffering is the belief in a thought. Harmless thoughts that we give importance to. We desperately cling to suffering because we're afraid of that which we don't know. Scared to let go of the illusory self inside our head, because that means 'death'..

I noticed my thoughts when I got into my statistics class today:

'I hate this. This isn't what I'm interested in. What am I doing here in this class, this isn't helping anything. I suck in math. I don't have a passion for this.'

Reality completely changes as one gets involved in the thoughts. The entire freaking universe takes a 180.. it's surreal. Just because of a belief in a thought.

It's unbelievable. What isn't a concept? What isn't just a mental block? How can one possibly 'like' something over another thing. Sure, once centered we tend to naturally flow towards survival and thriving and helping others through any means available without regard to 'like' or 'dislike'.. It's merely the function. The function is enjoyed however, but by what? Life enjoying life itself? Is it all really just that simple, just living?

This is all so incredibly mysterious.

What is this?
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I can't answer your existential questions, but I can tell you that if you want to go into any health profession, you'll have to pass statistics. I hate, and suck at math as well, but I ended up with an A in statistics because 1) the teacher liked having an age "outlier" in the class (I was 42, and the next youngest person in the class as 24), and 2) I knew I had to do this, as irrelevant as it seemed at the time, in order to further my ultimate goal of getting into nursing school.

If you don't look at each piece directly as part of the big picture ("What does statistics have to do with nursing?") but rather at each piece for what it is ("Statistics seems dumb, but it's a stone in the path."), it becomes easier to take. There were even classes *in* nursing school about which I felt about like you (and I) do about statistics. "What's the point of this? I don't own a uterus, I'm never going to have kids, and I'm never going to be a OB nurse!". But it's all part of the game, and it all has a purpose.

And for the record, yes, life is mysterious. Isn't that cool? How boring would it all be if we had everything figured out? BO-RING :)

Mtns