Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

TC meditation and Buddhist meditation

edited October 2010 in Meditation
what is the difference between transcendental meditation and Buddhist meditation?

Comments

• pineblossompineblossom Veteran
    edited September 2010
    hiUSA wrote: »
    what is the difference between transcendental meditation and Buddhist meditation?

I have no idea what TM is suppose to be - I am really not all that interested.

Buddhism mediation is a process whereby you become aware of your own thought process which will lead towards the idea that what you have come to accept as real is, in reality, not real.

You will need to engage with a traditional Buddhist Centre in order to find correct instruction.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited September 2010
    One costs $1,500 and the other is free?
  • edited September 2010
    seeker242 wrote: »
    One costs $1,500 and the other is free?

LOL - just what I was going to say hahahaha
  • edited September 2010
    While I am no expert on either, I can only speak to my own experiences.

Meditation is meditation.

I attended a seminar on TM and received a mantra and basic beginner instruction in meditation.
    For many, many years I used this meditation technique occasionally as a stress reliever, with some benefit.

About 2 years ago personal events in my life caused my to begin to study the Buddhist practice. I began to understand that meditation also allows for a clearer understanding (insight) and mindfulness. Seeing attachment and aversion in my thinking and releasing the false self which leads to a happier life.

I would be interested in what others have to say on this.
    edited September 2010
    While I am no expert on either, I can only speak to my own experiences.

Meditation is meditation.

I attended a seminar on TM and received a mantra and basic beginner instruction in meditation.
    For many, many years I used this meditation technique occasionally as a stress reliever, with some benefit.

About 2 years ago personal events in my life caused my to begin to study the Buddhist practice. I began to understand that meditation also allows for a clearer understanding (insight) and mindfulness. Seeing attachment and aversion in my thinking and releasing the false self which leads to a happier life.

I would be interested in what others have to say on this.

Meditation is not stress relief.

Meditation is not being mindful. One does not need to meditate to be mindful.

There is no 'happier' life - all life is subject to change and that which changes leads to suffering.

As mentioned above, save your $$$ and seek out a Buddhist teacher.
  • edited September 2010
    I must respectfully disagree.

I have found mediation to be a useful stress reliever. It calms and quiets the mind. This leads to less anxiety and improved physical well being. These benefits, although limited in potential, do not require any understanding of Buddhism or any other ism.

Meaning you don't have to know anything about the Buddha's teachings on the nature of human suffering to realize many of the benefits of meditation.

But once you begin to learn of the Buddhist teachings, the benefits of a calm and quiet mind lead to mindfulness or being awake to the reality of the present moment.

Without ongoing meditation practice I find myself becoming more and more lost in my own illusions of myself (not mindful.) With judgements, opinions, and other stories taking up my thinking.

Oh and acceptance of impermanence does lead to a happier life.

Once again I must say that these are just my understandings and each of us may see things differently which is OK.
    edited September 2010
    I must respectfully disagree.

You are free to do so - many sentient beings do not have that luxury. Make good use of your time.
    Without ongoing meditation practice I find myself becoming more and more lost in my own illusions of myself (not mindful.) With judgements, opinions, and other stories taking up my thinking.

The purpose of meditation is that when you leave your meditation you do not engage with the illusionary world. If you are engaging with samsara then you need some guidance in your meditative practice. As I said, we do not use meditation as an escape from the world.
    Oh and acceptance of impermanence does lead to a happier life.

Happiness is dependent on causes and conditions - and being dependent in origin it cannot last. When you realize that happiness is result of dualist thinking you will appreciate the words of the Buddha who said ALL life is suffering.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Only attachment to conditioned phenomena is suffering.. Attachment itself is a condition of that suffering. When you stop attaching you stop suffering.

What you seem to be saying is that unconditioned reality is suffering but that is not true. Unconditioned reality is the union of bliss (pleasure and pain) and emptiness.
  • edited October 2010
    From what i've read, TM leads to relaxation mainly...

Liberation must still rely on Buddhist methods of listening, contemplation and meditation, ascertain the view of non-self and emptiness, combined with the paramitas of generosity, patience, effort, morality, concentration and wisdom and with the spirit of Bodhichitta, compassion and love.

It is not a simple thing to get liberated. It is a very holistic path. We put in alot of effort to get our PHDs, degrees, diplomas whatsoever, now this path is for liberation, so we should put in even more effort... not expect it to be easier than learning for instance to play a piano...
  • edited October 2010
    hiUSA wrote: »

It seems to me (a really big guess here) that Transcendantal Meditation is an adaptation of one of the many meditation practices that the Buddha had tried before enlightenment but found that it did not address the question of dukkha and its cessation.

My rather limited view is that, basically, the teacher will give you a mantra like "Om" to repeat in the meditation, and when you are totally absorbed in this mantra recitation, the chatter in the mind subsides and there is some sort of mental stillness, etc... To me this sounds somewhat like Shamatha meditation, just replacing the one-pointed concentration on the breath by one-pointed concentration on the mantra. I am not sure why TM lessons are so expensive... perhaps someone who has actually taken the full lessons can tell us.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I have always viewed TM as a product that supplies a demand from people in the west that feel that they must pay cash to get a genuine result. I think it is a legitimate way to bring to a meditation practice people who might not consider it another way. I'm sure that a percentage of the people who sign up are starting a lifelong practice and will move on to study Buddhism. To me it looks like the work of bringing beings to enlightenment. There could be a more diabolical aspect to it that I'm missing.-P