Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist 'cure' for depression

shanyinshanyin Novice YoginSault Ontario Veteran
edited November 2010 in General Banter
Hello!

I think about a year or so on this forum someone said looking at the stars is an 'old buddhist cure for depression'.

Has anyone ever heard this too?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2010
    I dunno, but I can see how it helps.... I love to gaze at the full moon through my binoculars.... it's just awesome......

I can see all the craters, and the "seas".... it's just so beautiful....:)

one of the luxuries my partner and I want to give ourselves when eventually we make a bit of money - is to buy a star-gazing telescope......
  • edited September 2010
    I like to watch the rabbit in the moon.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited September 2010
    federica wrote: »
    I dunno, but I can see how it helps.... I love to gaze at the full moon through my binoculars.... it's just awesome......

I can see all the craters, and the "seas".... it's just so beautiful....:)

one of the luxuries my partner and I want to give ourselves when eventually we make a bit of money - is to buy a star-gazing telescope......

Haha if you lived closer to me, I'd get my dad to send you one. He has maybe 5 of various ages and strengths, but only really uses one.

See if you can meet up with a local astronomer's group, perhaps you can ask if anyone would be okay sharing their telescope with some new stargazers? From attending a couple of meets w/ my dad, the scene seems pretty jovial (at least around here).
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I suppose it's a weakness of mine. At night I watch the moon and stars, during the day I look at clouds and the deep blue sky. When I'm outside more often than not I'm looking up.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited October 2010
    shanyin wrote: »
    Hello!

I think about a year or so on this forum someone said looking at the stars is an 'old buddhist cure for depression'.

Has anyone ever heard this too?

My honest take on that: If you can sit and look at the stars and *not* realize how utterly small and insignificant you and your personal problems are when compared to the size of the *visible* universe (much less the part you can't see), then there's no hope for you :)
    edited October 2010
    Gecko wrote: »
    I like to watch the rabbit in the moon.

Is he making rice cakes in Oz like he is in Japan?

:)
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Some of my grandmothers last words: 'we're just a spec, in the universe.'
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2010
    When I was a boy, I would lie out in the backyard and just stare up at the stars. I don't know if it made me less depressed, but it was wonderful. I would just get lost imagining (or trying to imagine) how vast it all was, and that it was right there in front of me, like looking out over a vast ocean, so vast it's unimaginable. But all I had to do was reach out and touch the sky, which was connected to it all. I didn't feel small and insignificant so much as feeling part of it. It was a nice feeling. Of course, that was when you could actually still see stars at night. I read somewhere where only about 10% of the people in the world can see stars at night. However, I am moving back to Arizona in a couple of weeks where the sky is so loaded with stars there's hardly any black, where you can see star clusters with your naked eyeballs. Looking forward to that!

Palzang
  • edited October 2010
    One of the reasons I love to go on hiking/camping trips is to get away from all the light pollution. It's amazing when you can peer right down the arm of the galaxy. The self feels insignificant and I feel part of it all. Last time I went on one I just sat and stared at the sky for an hour or so.

But I can rarely see a decent amount of stars where I live. Also looking forward to going to the Adirondacks in a couple weeks!
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I think its a good feeling lying on the ground or sitting. And looking up at the sky as the clouds are moving by. The clouds are passing by and it feels like the winds of your attention are ebbing and flowing just like the wind as it pushes the clouds past.

And to think when you have all your cares and worries that those clouds are still up there sailing by.

Anyhow I like to remember those times that have a glimmer of good feeling in them when I am depressed. To remember that there is time. And there is space. For clouds and for feelings!
  • edited October 2010
    I'm not sure if we're really all that insignificant, I mean the universe doesn't have any eyes, you do.

What makes gazing at the stars supremely special and romantic, is when you share it with someone else, because at that point you (and whoever else with you) are having a uniquely shared experience that bonds you forever in those moments.

This one time, I saw a piece of debris going through the stratosphere, with a bright flare, sparkling blue ozone and a long trail of smoke that swept across the sky. Perhaps I was the only person in the universe to have witnesses that particular event. ~When I told a friend about this they refused to believe me, and that made me sad. :(
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I don't know about it being a "cure", but I also enjoy looking at the sky, both at night and during the daytime. I love the vastness of it, the fresh air outside (which I don't get enough of), the clouds and the blue ocean above my head.

It gives me a feeling of peace and openness. It makes me feel like I'm free and there's more to life and the world, than just the four walls that I live within and the problems I have inside me.

It makes me realize that the world is STILL beautiful after all we've put this Earth through and that I'm a part of that world, no matter how far removed from it I feel most of the time.
  • edited October 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    When I was a boy, I would lie out in the backyard and just stare up at the stars. I don't know if it made me less depressed, but it was wonderful. I would just get lost imagining (or trying to imagine) how vast it all was, and that it was right there in front of me, like looking out over a vast ocean, so vast it's unimaginable. But all I had to do was reach out and touch the sky, which was connected to it all. I didn't feel small and insignificant so much as feeling part of it. It was a nice feeling. Of course, that was when you could actually still see stars at night. I read somewhere where only about 10% of the people in the world can see stars at night. However, I am moving back to Arizona in a couple of weeks where the sky is so loaded with stars there's hardly any black, where you can see star clusters with your naked eyeballs. Looking forward to that!

Palzang

If you didn't know, there's a Tibetan Buddhist temple in Chino Valley.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I also recommend looking for places without light pollution by using the map service here

Just type in where you live and look for the closest "dark" portion of the sky.

FYI: Whites and Dark reds = tons of light pollution, the scale goes down in color terminating as blue. Grey areas are either areas not surveyed or ones that have no light pollution.
    edited October 2010
    That's very cool Zayl! Thanks for passing that along.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2010
    If you didn't know, there's a Tibetan Buddhist temple in Chino Valley.

Yes, I've been there, the Garchin Buddhist Institute. Very nice place, very nice people. It's particularly interesting because it seems like everywhere my temple goes there they are too! We have a temple in Poolesville, MD, they have theirs just up the road in Frederick. We set one up in Sedona in '97, they have their place in Chino Valley, which isn't far from Sedona. Coincidence? I don't think so! Palyul Monastery, the home seat in Tibet of our lineage, was formerly a Drikung Kagyu monastery. The terton (treasure revealer) who revealed the termas (hidden treasures) that are the basis of our lineage, Migyur Dorje, his teacher was Karma Chagmed Rinpoche, a famous Kagyu lama. So there's definitely a connection.

Palzang
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited October 2010
    The dark sky finder map is AWESOME.

And I definitely believe looking at the stars can help. It's one of the biggest reasons I choose to live an hour and fifteen minutes from my job.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I personally have always had an affinity with the night sky and space in general, it is great. If I had the money I would put myself into space as a tourist, maybe my one pipe dream lol. We sometimes get homesick when going abroad, but to see your home planet grow ever smaller in the window, now that has to be something epic.

However, the buddha did say to not find pleasure in any visual stimuli, and also to not find any disgust within visual stimuli. I think one reason it 'could' be a buddhist cure is that it's such a vast open space, it allows your mind to slow and down have some room if that makes any sense.. Vast open spaces are always calming and peaceful :)
  • edited October 2010
    One of the things that originally drew me to Buddhism was a quote somewhere that read something like "Buddha was the original psychologist". At the time I was struggling with depression amongst other things. I've found that mindfulness is the best weapon when you are suffering from depression. Just realizing that you are depressed is a step in the right direction. Realizing that you are becoming depressed before you get too deep into it is even better. And then through mindfulness you start becoming aware of the things that cause you depression. Then later I learned about the conditioned, empty, impermanent nature of things... even feelings and emotions. I haven't dealt with any serious depression for years. The occasional bout from time to time... but it usually doesn't take long to realize that I'm falling back into the rut. Though it can be hard to let go at times.
  • edited October 2010
    Avid stargazer for many years - keeps the mind and spirit sane, serene and humble. Something very awesome about the night sky and it has been a source of fascination, inspiration and imagination to humans since the year dot.
    Very fortunate to have deep, dark skies where I live and love to watch the celestial parade above me with my scope, binoculars or simply general issue optics (eyes)
    Agree with 1000socks in that it is better when shared.
    John Dobson, a former Vedanta monk, builder and designer of cheap large aperture scopes, and founder of the Sidewalk Astronomers Association believed strongly that people who owned a telescope had a duty to share it with those who didn't. To this end, he would set his scope up on a street corner or local park and simply invite passers-by to "Come and look at Saturn."
    I've had friends and workmates look through my scope but on the couple of occasions when I've set up in town with the local Astro Society, the response from the public has been both gratifying and moving. People actually line up to have a look and some will come back several times. Even the local hoodlums were happy to line up and were just as chuffed as everyone else.
    Lovely! :D
    There's some interesting stuff on the net about John Dobson and his Sidewalk Astronomers if you care to Google it.
    Also, a very user-friendly piece of software for identifying stars and planets above your location is Stellarium. Just Google for a free download. (You'll need to know your latitude and longitude.)
    Heavens Above.com is a useful site that gives dates and times of passage of the Hubble scope, the International Space Station, Irridium flares and much else above your location. (Again, you'll need to enter your latitude and longitude.) Many people don't realise that Hubble, the ISS and Irridium flares are easily seen with the naked eye.
    Please enjoy! :)
  • edited October 2010
    This thread has reminded me of something I read recently.
    The following passage is an extract from 'The diary of Anne Frank', dated Wednesday 23rd February 1944. It reads:

'As long as this exists,' I thought, 'this sunshine and this cloudless sky, and as long as I can enjoy it, how can I be sad?'

The best remedy for those who are frightened, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere they can be alone, alone with the sky, nature and God. For then, and only then, can you feel that everything is as it should be and that God wants people to be happy amid nature's beauty and simplicity.
    edited October 2010
    I've really got to get around to reading that someday...
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Dog Star wrote: »
    Avid stargazer for many years - keeps the mind and spirit sane, serene and humble. Something very awesome about the night sky and it has been a source of fascination, inspiration and imagination to humans since the year dot.
    Very fortunate to have deep, dark skies where I live and love to watch the celestial parade above me with my scope, binoculars or simply general issue optics (eyes)
    Agree with 1000socks in that it is better when shared.
    John Dobson, a former Vedanta monk, builder and designer of cheap large aperture scopes, and founder of the Sidewalk Astronomers Association believed strongly that people who owned a telescope had a duty to share it with those who didn't. To this end, he would set his scope up on a street corner or local park and simply invite passers-by to "Come and look at Saturn."
    I've had friends and workmates look through my scope but on the couple of occasions when I've set up in town with the local Astro Society, the response from the public has been both gratifying and moving. People actually line up to have a look and some will come back several times. Even the local hoodlums were happy to line up and were just as chuffed as everyone else.
    Lovely! :D
    There's some interesting stuff on the net about John Dobson and his Sidewalk Astronomers if you care to Google it.
    Also, a very user-friendly piece of software for identifying stars and planets above your location is Stellarium. Just Google for a free download. (You'll need to know your latitude and longitude.)
    Heavens Above.com is a useful site that gives dates and times of passage of the Hubble scope, the International Space Station, Irridium flares and much else above your location. (Again, you'll need to enter your latitude and longitude.) Many people don't realise that Hubble, the ISS and Irridium flares are easily seen with the naked eye.
    Please enjoy! :)

Thanks Dog Star, that is very inspiring -nice clear night here and you have motivated me to ask my hubby to get his telescope out... not as good here as it would be in the outback, still lots to be blown away by ... and he has a big grin on his face at being asked, thanks again :)
  • edited October 2010
    We are star dust.
    How beautiful is that? :D
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited October 2010
    We are star dust.
    How beautiful is that? :D

Do I detect a Carl Sagan fan?
  • edited October 2010
    Yes, I like Sagan's take on the Universe.
    It is a fact though that on an atomic level we are in fact the product of "star dust"
    I find that fact both humbling and inspiring. :):)
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Yes, I like Sagan's take on the Universe.
    It is a fact though that on an atomic level we are in fact the product of "star dust"
    I find that fact both humbling and inspiring. :):)
    Very nice! I'm a fan of his work also. There is another similar quote, though not by him. and it is as follows.

"Hydrogen: a colorless odorless gas which given a few billion years turns into people."

Sadly I don't know who said it.
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I find it interesting how often old Carl's name shows up on this board :cool:

Also a long time star watcher here, though I am lazy these days, and only dig out my telescope very rarely.

However looking at the night sky definitely humbles one, and puts life's problems into perspective. It also makes it impossible for me to be any sort of religious fundamentalist.
  • edited November 2010
    Zayl wrote: »
    Very nice! I'm a fan of his work also. There is another similar quote, though not by him. and it is as follows.

"Hydrogen: a colorless odorless gas which given a few billion years turns into people."

Sadly I don't know who said it.

That's not just bloody funny :); it's also damned clever :lol:
    I'd like to know who said it. Sounds a bit Douglas Adams to me.?
  • edited November 2010
    Shutoku wrote: »
    I find it interesting how often old Carl's name shows up on this board :cool:

Also a long time star watcher here, though I am lazy these days, and only dig out my telescope very rarely.

However looking at the night sky definitely humbles one, and puts life's problems into perspective. It also makes it impossible for me to be any sort of religious fundamentalist.

Agree most strongly. :):)

The night skies have deeply influenced mystics, poets, philosophers and scientists and your honest and personal appreciation of the night sky (along with mine) is evidence of that enduring legacy.

We need more people looking through telescopes and less people looking through rifle or bomb sights! :sadc:
  • qohelethqoheleth Explorer
    edited November 2010
    It can't hurt! I spent several summers living out under the stars, in a tent, and in a van. Incidentally, one of the summers I even had a copy of Carl Sagan's "Cosmos" book in my tent with me.

While I don't share this with many people, I once had some kind of intense 'religious' experience that 'kicked in' uninvited while laying down on the hard earth in the Rocky Mountains and gazing up through the pines at the brilliant stars. And another time, far less intense, laying in some Hot Springs out in the mountains, looking at the sea of stars. Pretty humbling, those stars!
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Running/Jogging/Meditation and Traveling??
  • edited November 2010
    LeonBasin wrote: »
    Running/Jogging/Meditation and Traveling??

Prezactly!!!:):):buck: