Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"Emptiness Sickness" Diagnosis? Treatment?

RichardHRichardH Veteran
edited October 2010 in Philosophy
Thoughts on this appreciated....

Comments

• robotrobot Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I'm guessing that you are talking about the extreme view of non existence. I recommend going back to nagarjuna or other madhyamika teachers.-P
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Thank you Robot. Actually it is a Zen term. It involves eternalism. Emptiness in this context refers to "True mind" rather than "emptiness of inherent existence". Although nihilism would certainly be "emptiness sickness" in the latter context.
  • edited September 2010
    richard, hi. :-) i wasn't familiar with this term, so i did a bit of research. from what i gathered, emptiness sickness is an embracing of emptiness that is so profound that the embracer falls into a kind of emptiness swoon ... which can slide into nihilism, moribundity, morbidity, etc.

is that (close to) what you mean by emptiness sickness?
    edited September 2010
    This is interesting, it really does sound like it would mean an attachment to nihilism. The specific meaning I am talking about is when, through the practice of "not I not I", we disentangle awareness from its objects such as thoughts, feelings, sensations etc. but then continue to grasp at awareness itself as a "signless" pure entity. In Zen "True Mind" is a skillful means that is often mistaken as a reification of awareness. There is no entity called "awareness" to be affirmed. It is a subtle point in practice when this issue comes up. Other Zen Students in discussions elsewhere have referred to this as "Emptiness sickness". Given that definition, I was wondering where the proximate cause lies. Is it skillful means that are maybe not so skillful? Is it the pop culture appropriation of Zen ideas and the fact that so many people who do not have sufficient Sangha support pick them up?

It is just an issue that on my mind.
  • edited September 2010
    What is your experience Richard?

Are you basing your idea of having a sickness on others view? What are your symptoms?

There are many ways to tackle this depending on the personal situation. : )
  • edited September 2010
    By the way, great suggestion robot, it may do you well to check out pranjaparamita texts like The Diamond that Cuts Through Illusion. Although, if you are suffering from an intellectual overload, it may be all you need is to give discursive thought a break and look more directly at things after, rather than through dharma tinted spectacles. Remember, dharma needs to be seen directly to create freedom from delusion. Delusion is only misperception. The only medicine for that is direct and accurate realisation. : )
    edited September 2010
    What is your experience Richard?

Are you basing your idea of having a sickness on others view? What are your symptoms?
    It is a view I share, that there is such a problem as "emptiness sickness", having been through it, like many practitioners have.. It may be that it cannot be bypassed, perhaps there is a phase of reification. However I do believe that many years of struggle in my own practice, were avoidable.
    There are many ways to tackle this depending on the personal situation. : )
    This is ofcourse true. I have my own thoughts on the issue and would be interested to hear yours.
  • edited September 2010
    well i'm in way over my head ... exeunt. :-)
  • edited September 2010
    Hello again!

Okay here goes. If one is intellectualising emptiness, i.e repeating to oneself this is empty, that is empty, then this can lead to one sided views because thoughts are partial, they are designed to point and separate, but as it says in the Diamond Sutra:

"They should recall that in teaching spiritual truths the Buddha always uses these concepts and ideas in the way that a raft is used to cross a river. Once the river has been crossed over, the raft is of no more use, and should be discarded. These arbitrary concepts and ideas about spiritual things need to be explained to us as we seek to attain Enlightenment. However, ultimately these arbitrary conceptions can be discarded. Think Subhuti, isn't it even more obvious that we should also give up our conceptions of non-existent things?"

Many people get emptiness sickness from indulging to much in a conceptual view of emptiness, rather than looking at it directly, and dropping all preconceptions and teachings to know it directly. This often leads to the - "what's the point in being alive if nothing is real" statement.

Another aspect come across is when someone gets in to a deep samadhi state of experience of emptiness and gets attached to it. This is more subtle, sometimes it's best to take meditation more moderately at this point, not too hard, not too soft. You can use tools like Mantra to help dissolve attachment to a degree, but here the most potent answers I feel are found in the 6 Dharma Gates to the Sublime. This book explains (step-by-step) that one must after knowing all apects of conciousness, feeling, body the form skanda's etc and seeing that none are essentially inherently existent, one also see's that that experience is interdependent with the mind observing it. One then turns back the mind to realise it's own nature.

In doing this and observing directly and clearly there is a realisation of it's true nature as uncreated and undestroyed.

From here it opens the doorway to realisation of the unlimited nature of it all, of no-self. The indescribable nature of it. Words cannot express this experience.

Essentially at all levels of development one of or all of the 6 Dharma Gates are applicable. The Six Dharma Gates was the text along with the Anapanasati Sutra that all monks had to carry and study.

A great version was done by Bhikshu Dharmamitra, who is currently on deaths door, so please say a prayer for him. He's done a lot for us all. This translation is without a doubt my most recommended book for all serious meditators.

Apart from of course Tao and Longevity by Nan Huai Chin and the Anapanasati Sutra.

Hope that helps chap, I'm really spilling the beans here eh? : )
    edited September 2010
    One then turns back the mind to realise it's own nature.

In doing this and observing directly and clearly there is a realisation of it's true nature as uncreated and undestroyed.

From here it opens the doorway to realisation of the unlimited nature of it all, of no-self. The indescribable nature of it. Words cannot express this experience.
    Nicely said. It is here (in bold) that the sickness of reification can occur, frequently does occur, and frequently it seems is never gotten over.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Richard H wrote: »
    Thoughts on this appreciated....

Emptiness sickness ?
    This sickness stemming from self grasping ? :p
    If Emptiness is Apprehended correctly then there is no self with which to grasp we do not fall into the extremes of Eternalism or Nihilism, No worries. :)
    edited September 2010
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    Emptiness sickness ?
    If Emptiness is Apprehended correctly then there is no self with which to grasp we do not fall into the extremes of Eternalism or Nihilism, No worries. :)
    And thats that :), thanks caz.
  • edited October 2010
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    Emptiness sickness ?

Spot on chap!!

Nicely said. Emptiness: concept. No concept, no problem : ))))
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Richard H wrote: »
    This is interesting, it really does sound like it would mean an attachment to nihilism. The specific meaning I am talking about is when, through the practice of "not I not I", we disentangle awareness from its objects such as thoughts, feelings, sensations etc. but then continue to grasp at awareness itself as a "signless" pure entity. In Zen "True Mind" is a skillful means that is often mistaken as a reification of awareness. There is no entity called "awareness" to be affirmed. It is a subtle point in practice when this issue comes up. Other Zen Students in discussions elsewhere have referred to this as "Emptiness sickness". Given that definition, I was wondering where the proximate cause lies. Is it skillful means that are maybe not so skillful? Is it the pop culture appropriation of Zen ideas and the fact that so many people who do not have sufficient Sangha support pick them up?

It is just an issue that on my mind.

Yupper, I think anyone who picks up our Zen terms and teachings and applies it conceptually und intellectually...well then it's definitely tricky. Ditto for any of the Buddha's teachings.

Could happen to any of us, especially those of us who only learn on forums IMO
  • edited October 2010
    I think that this is just a phase of meditation practice. At a certain point you need to let go of the method or prop that you use to "invoke" a sense of presence. The key is that this is really the domain of the teacher. A skilled teacher is able to see how you are becoming stuck and will undercut the method.

There is a great story about a guru who gave his student a mantra and practice that he said was guaranteed to produce enlightenment in a few years of practice and told him to diligently apply himself. The guru then went on his way. He returned 30 years later and the student had been practicing one-pointedly the whole time, seemingly without result. The student asked the teacher what he was doing wrong. The teacher asked him what mantra he had been repeating, and when he was told the mantra said:

"Oh no, I have made a very great mistake. I gave you the wrong mantra. I am so sorry."

The student felt very depressed and despondent. The teacher then told them that as he was old now, he didn't have time to do a proper sadhana this life so he might as well just go back and continue the mantra that he had been reciting to generate merit for a positive rebirth. The teacher then left again and the student went back to practice, completely without hope of attainment.

Needless to say, the student almost immediately became deeply realized. :-) We become conditioned by our methods of practice. There is nothing wrong with this, as long as you have a teacher that can skillfully disentangle you from your fixation on antidotes and triggers.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited October 2010
    What are the symptoms?
    edited October 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    What are the symptoms?

Belief is an inherently self exisitng " Unconditioned Mind" or "Pure Mind". It involves exchanging one object for another more subtle one, maybe a negative one, while chasing the intuition of a subjective essence. It is like holding onto a rope, then letting it go but clinging to a strand, then letting that go but clinging to a thread, then letting that go but clinging to a fiber. ....

Instead of looking forward and stepping back as you gather bodymind and world before you, you turn around and project back. Who ever came up with "true mind" and a lot of other Zen terms (pardon my rant here) really tossed people a bone.

anyway it's just my opinion ...
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Thanks, Richard. That was very clear.