Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation Posture problems

Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal DhammaWe(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
edited October 2010 in Meditation
1) So I've been mainly practicing meditation (only for about 2 weeks so far) while sitting cross-legged, or in a chair. But yesterday I tried the various postures (Half-lotus, Burmese, etc) and they all felt pretty uncomfortable, esp for my feet/ankles to be flexing in that manner (I am putting a cushion under my butt, although it's not the "proper" cushion). Should I just give up on that and continue cross legged, or try to build up the flexibility?

2) I've started to get a bit of a tension/discomfort in my mid/upper back when I sit to meditate. I find that leaning forwards a bit relieves this somewhat. Is there something wrong w/ my posture?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited September 2010
    It might take a bit of fine tuning. Gil Fronsdal said that people who meditate a lot seem to take a while longer to get into the right position than beginners. Take a couple of minutes to alter how you sit before starting to meditate. Burmese should be quite comfortable, I'd say start with that, then find the points where you feel discomfort and adjust accordingly.

As for the back... I have the same problem.
  • edited September 2010
    One suggestion might be to sit and watch TV or do something else in your chosen meditation posture to get your body to adapt. When we meditate, we notice every little thing and our minds can make those little things into huge things which is why watching the tube or something else that entertains the mind can make it easier for the body to adapt without it seeming like such a chore.

In the mean time, why not have your next few sittings in a chair with a nice pad under your butt and take a break from the pretzel legged stuff for a bit?
  • pineblossompineblossom Veteran
    edited September 2010
    1) So I've been mainly practicing meditation (only for about 2 weeks so far) while sitting cross-legged, or in a chair. But yesterday I tried the various postures (Half-lotus, Burmese, etc) and they all felt pretty uncomfortable, esp for my feet/ankles to be flexing in that manner (I am putting a cushion under my butt, although it's not the "proper" cushion). Should I just give up on that and continue cross legged, or try to build up the flexibility?

2) I've started to get a bit of a tension/discomfort in my mid/upper back when I sit to meditate. I find that leaning forwards a bit relieves this somewhat. Is there something wrong w/ my posture?

Thanks in advance.

You don't have to adopt any particular position for meditation. Remember, most countries in which Buddhism flourishes don't use chairs so they are use to doing without from an early age.

A straight back chair is quite suitable.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited September 2010
    You don't have to adopt any particular position for meditation. Remember, most countries in which Buddhism flourishes don't use chairs so they are use to doing without from an early age.

A straight back chair is quite suitable.

Yes I'm aware I don't have to, but I'd like to do it if I can.

I don't want to sound too New Agey or whatever, but I also find that sitting on the floor, closer to the ground makes the experience of meditation feel a lot better... more natural somehow. Perhaps it's because I'm tempted to lean back in the chair.
  • edited October 2010
    Not too hard, not too soft, always the key : ) Might be that you need to strengthen your legs a too. Perhaps do a gentle strengthening warm up before going in to it. Then do a the half lotus stretch routine before you actually begin. Once you can do no-more, change to a more comfortable posture, and so on until you're comfortably sitting in lotus for hours : )))
  • edited October 2010
    By the way, cultivating the body helps you to cultivate the mind, it supports you're practice. So you're right to want to develop the posture. Keep in mind there are other postures too, the bestriding crane, bodhisattva, kneeling etc : )

All of these provide stability to develop stillness in body and mind, they also help you to open up the circulation of blood/qi etc in the legs, which can be very important for meditative progress. : )
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited October 2010

Thanks in advance.

Hey Invincible

Any centers nearby? You could just go and get it checked out, join one sit and they should be able to help IMO.

Do you do yoga, stretches, even for your health I think it would be good for you to do it

Investing in a good cushion, experimenting, I think this is very worth it because the posture is quite important if you are sitting - both for stability in meditation as well as your general health.

I am pretty straight so I usually just go for burmese but the back should still be straight (natural but straight, not too pushed in or you may feel a strain), head upright and relaxed, ears perpendicular to shoulders, preferably a solid three point angle on floor.

I will post if I find some links to posture, but again if you have a centre nearby or a yoga teacher nearby I really think it would be worth your while to invest in a good posture and checking with someone in real life.

Meditation is for life after all :)

Well wishes,
    Abu
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Yes I'm aware I don't have to, but I'd like to do it if I can.

I don't want to sound too New Agey or whatever, but I also find that sitting on the floor, closer to the ground makes the experience of meditation feel a lot better... more natural somehow. Perhaps it's because I'm tempted to lean back in the chair.

Ditto, there is something about the posture, it holds including if and when storms arise.

Best wishes.
  • edited October 2010
    I would appreciate any links to posture. I just cannot sit cross legged. Have tried and it hurts.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Jennis wrote: »
    I would appreciate any links to posture. I just cannot sit cross legged. Have tried and it hurts.
    Try here: http://www.insightmeditationcenter.org/books-articles/articles/postures-for-meditation/
  • edited October 2010
    I've been practicing for years, and I still can't find a comfortable position. my knees hurt, or my feet fall asleep, or my back hurts, or I can't breath correctly. Unless you're doing a sesshin, where you're doing it for many hours a day, just try to find a position that makes all of those discomforts tolerable. I can't imagine there is a position that is actually comfortable all the time
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Hey Invincible

Any centers nearby? You could just go and get it checked out, join one sit and they should be able to help IMO.

Do you do yoga, stretches, even for your health I think it would be good for you to do it

Investing in a good cushion, experimenting, I think this is very worth it because the posture is quite important if you are sitting - both for stability in meditation as well as your general health.

I am pretty straight so I usually just go for burmese but the back should still be straight (natural but straight, not too pushed in or you may feel a strain), head upright and relaxed, ears perpendicular to shoulders, preferably a solid three point angle on floor.

I will post if I find some links to posture, but again if you have a centre nearby or a yoga teacher nearby I really think it would be worth your while to invest in a good posture and checking with someone in real life.

Meditation is for life after all :)

Well wishes,
    Abu

Yes, there some zendos/Ch'an centres in town, I've yet to go though. I intend to.

As for stretching, I do it regularly as cool-down from running/cycling, and in the morning to refresh myself, but nothing too complicated. I'm contemplating joining a yoga class, but it's very trendy where I live and thus expensive.

What are some good stretches to build up for the meditation postures?
  • edited October 2010
    Another option is to use a meditation stool.
    When using such a stool. You kneel down like a Japanese Samurai or martial art fanatic and place one of those meditation stools under you.

The Stool takes the weight off your legs and helps you to maintain a good relaxed straight-ish back posture.

To start with, you may find the position uncomfortable, however, after a while your body adjusts and you should be able to sit relatively comfortably for quiet long lengths of time.

Personally, I prefer these stools as I never got around to perfecting the sitting crossed legs / lotus posture. My legs used to go to sleep, and when sitting in a group, its quiet awkward to adjust your position because don't want to make too much noise.

:-)
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Burmese gives u trouble in ankles?..maybe its a technique problem...i find its the most tolerable position
    edited October 2010
    newtech wrote: »
    Burmese gives u trouble in ankles?..maybe its a technique problem...i find its the most tolerable position

How "flat" does one's feet and knees have to be? And also, to my understanding, the inside foot is not supposed to be underneath the outside leg?
  • edited October 2010
    Share some pointers...

For those who feel that their sitting postures are giving them problem, try some stretching exercises for thighs, joints etc before each sitting.

Most important in sitting posture is a straight back... don't lean forward or backward.

If one is sitting full-lotus posture, no cushion. Other leg postures can use cushion.

If you want to quickly be able to sit better in the proper postures, recommend that you do many prostrations to purify your body karma, prostrations also limber your body. From my own experience, this will help. Recitation of mantras to purify karma will also help.

Sitting posture should be relaxed, but keep back straight... shouldn't be too tense.

Legs should cover with towel / blanket to keep warm, this will make it less likely to become stiff and painful over time... esp in cold weather.

Can place a blanket, shawl, towel over abdomen area to keep it warm too (can wrap round waist too ),this helps the back to stay straight without much pain.

Clothing, esp pants, should be loose and comfortable... don't constrict body at all...

As in all things, takes perseverance...
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    edited October 2010
    How "flat" does one's feet and knees have to be? And also, to my understanding, the inside foot is not supposed to be underneath the outside leg?

What i do is:

-touching with the nails of my feets the floor
    -align the heels so they are in the center and facing up
    -check knees are giving stability and touching ground.

if u cant do one "completly ok" its ok, just use it as a guide.

burmesefront.jpg
    edited October 2010
    After some more practice I've managed to get the Burmese comfortably. Turns out I wasn't using enough cushion to position myself properly. Thanks for all the tips, newtech's diagram was esp helpful.

However, I still have a bit of tension in my upper back. Not as bad though.

I was also wondering if for the full lotus it's just a "either you can do it or you can't" type thing?
  • edited October 2010
    newtech wrote: »
    What i do is:

-touching with the nails of my feets the floor
    -align the heels so they are in the center and facing up
    -check knees are giving stability and touching ground.
    So that is why I get my blood circulation cut from the ankles up. This position is perfect, nothing is pressing down on the ankles at all.

Thanks!

Stability is key for me; I don't want my mind focused on my posture (want it on my breathing). I've tried all kinds of postures, and the most convenient is a front split (Chinese splits). I don't get any circulation problems that way, and I get my daily stretching done as well.
    It might take a bit of fine tuning.
    I agree! Every imperfection or imbalance becomes stark clear in meditation. I have a slight kink on my right hip. I get rid of it by stretching and kinda contorting prior to meditation. (Like how we crack our knuckles, i suppose).

I do have a question about muscle tone (adequate muscle tautness that keeps back posture unwaveringly consistent). As I focus on my breathing, I find my back slouching ever so slightly after 5-10 minutes. I'll ask the question in a new topic.