Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dhammapada 109

ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
edited October 2005 in Buddhism Basics
I received this quote today in my mailbox, from Beliefnet's Daily Quotations:
For one who is in the habit of constantly honoring and respecting the elders, four blessings increase—age, beauty, bliss, and strength.

-Dhammapada 109

From "365 Buddha: Daily Meditations," edited by Jeff Schmidt. Reprinted by arrangement with Tarcher/Putnam, a division of Penguin Putnam Inc.

What I'd like to know is the "age" that is mentioned... In what way is it a blessing, when thousands pay thousands of bucks to get botox and stuff to look younger?

Comments

• kinleekinlee Veteran
    edited October 2005
    ajani_mgo wrote:
    I received this quote today in my mailbox, from Beliefnet's Daily Quotations:

What I'd like to know is the "age" that is mentioned... In what way is it a blessing, when thousands pay thousands of bucks to get botox and stuff to look younger?

Elders refers to basically two important groups. 1. Parents 2. Teachers (In general term)

Every male sentient beings are our fathers, every female sentient beings are our mothers. Reasons being that after endless cycle of rebirth and recarnations, tendency that sential beings we know were our parents in previous lives.
    So strictly speaking, in Buddhist point of view, elders refer to all sentient beings. :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2005
    Well, I read your question, with the quotation, and to begin with I thought "WTF....?" but then, i examined it more closely....

I'm going to use very general terms like 'culture' and 'society'....this does not exclude us from these two groups, because we form an integral part - but for the sake of argument, I'm referring to strata of these two that personally I do not get involved with, agree with or even begin to understand....!

I find it highly offensive and deplorable that generally, society views getting old, as something distasteful and undesirable. The cosmetics industry is constantly targetting women and encouraging them to buy this cream ('delays the signs of ageing') that hair colour ('covers grey hairs completely!') because I'm worth it. And they use recognised rôle models (Andi McDowell, Elle McPherson) to promulgate and perpetuate this warped, misguided and frankly deceitful way of thinking. I see absolutely nothing wrong with taking care of ones' self, through exercise, diet, skin-care, hygiene and self-awareness - ie, Right Everything - (!) But to actively attempt to halt the inevitable.... how very 'Western'!

Other cultures respect their elderly. The American Indians refer to the Older Women - or 'Crones' as they were referred to once (although sadly this word has lost its intention of respect, and has adopted a more derogatory insinuation) as the RoseHip.... the Seed Pod.... because by having gone through the stages of Flowerbud (child) and Bloom (Woman) she is now ripe and replete with all the knowledge and expertise required to 'nourish and promote' the next generation.
    http://www.elderwoman.org/Elderwoman_-_the_book.htm

I personally am enjoying getting older. I have reached the age that as a child, people told me I had to respect!
    Some cosmetic surgery is necessary. Some is done because the person has a psychological need to change an aspect of themselves. But to hold back the years....? I'm not impressed!
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Hmm... Actually cosmestic is okay for those who really badly need face correction or serious trauma repair... But for those who just wanna look younger, they suck.

Haha... I heard this saying somewhere, as women age they become less pretty and by 40 lose all their charm...

But men only start to exhibit charm at 40! Hmm! I can see why age is a blessing then... :woowoo:
  • edited October 2005
    ajani_mgo wrote:
    Haha... I heard this saying somewhere, as women age they become less pretty and by 40 lose all their charm...
    QUOTE]

Whoa there ! I'm going to order a nice big tub of popcorn (sweetened of course!), find a big comfy chair and sit back and enjoy the fireworks after that pearl of wisdom! :eek:
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2005
    ajani_mgo,

It's just a poor translation. Here are two better ones:

"If you're respectful by habit,
    constantly honoring the worthy,
    four things increase:
    long life, beauty,
    happiness, strength."

and,

"To one ever eager to revere and serve the elders, these four blessing accrue: long life and beauty, happiness and power."

Jason
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2005
    Oh, Good.... Well, Three out of four ain't bad....!!:D :lol:
    edited October 2005
    Well age and long life are kinda far off actually... LOL...

Age sounded to me alot like wrinkled skin, toothless grin and I was like wondering... Man, if this is a blessing I wonder what's the punishment.
    edited October 2005
    Leaving plastic surgery aside, Ajani, Age is a state of mind.... I know some seventy- and eighty-year-olds who would put many younger people to shame, such is their buoyant, positive and energetic attitude. I have also met many people of my age - and younger! - who seem 'Old before their time' - !!
    Besides which, due to massive general improvements to diet, lifestyle, health and social conditions in general, people are living longer nowadays. When I was a girl, if an older person of say, seventy five years died, we used to say he or she had had 'a good innings'... they had a good and long life. Now, that's considered still 'young'.....!!
    THis old wrinkled decrepit image we have, is sad, but normal.
    In the West, we tend to have an impatient and intolerant attitude towards the elderly.... Forgetting two things....
    One, if we have the fortune to live long enough, we too will be like that, one day, and
    Two.... who knows what a wonderful tale they have to tell....? Who knows, inspite of their bowed backs, their silver hair and wrinked skin, what a rich, varied exciting life they might have led....?
    - Of course, there are some elderly people who are simply a pain in the prufundis!! :D

"When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple
    with a red hat that doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
    And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
    and satin candles, and say we've no money for butter.

I shall sit down on the pavement when I am tired
    and gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
    and run my stick along the public railings
    and make up for the sobriety of my youth.

I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
    and pick the flowers in other people's gardens
    and learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
    and eat three pounds of sausages at a go
    or only bread and pickles for a week
    and hoard pens and pencils and beer nuts and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
    and pay our rent and not swear in the street
    and set a good example for the children.
    We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.
    But maybe I ought to practice a little now?

So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
    When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple."

Jenny Joseph.
    edited October 2005
    In Asia being respectful to the old is not a virtue, it is a neccessity, though sadly, I can see that nowadays it has become, for some people, a struggle.

I read a controversial text on suicide before. It told of how the economy could be continually improving with suicide itself. After I read it, I thought it was more "cult-ish" than beneficial.

It said that for the betterment of all humankind, retirees should be prepared to make the greatest sacrifice from themselves of all, their life. Upon retirement, or till one loses all ability to contribute to GNP, he or she should then commit assisted suicide to reduce financial burden voluntarily and save on the family income which could be better-used elsewhere.

I was like, man, this was worst than Hilter+Stalin*Musolini*Franco^9! Alright just an expression here... But really, this text sounds alot like the ancient Samurai Code to me, where the shogun is the $$$-people. To show your love for all people, wreck yourself. With your sacrifice in blood your family shall benefit.

Man, this was pure evil when I read this! For money one would take his or her own life... I mean it may seem like a noble act but it's pure... dumb. With more and more people neglecting the elderly, soon, a new philosophy of life for this might just come out and brainwash all, young or old alike.

I can't wait to grow old, seriously. But one cannot live life too fast at the speed of light, I read it somewhere. It's sorta a paradox in itself, this quote, but somehow sounds sensible.