Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Chit-Saddam-Granthi in Buddhism?

edited October 2010 in Faith & Religion
Hi,
This seems like it must be such an esoteric term, I find it hard to find any mention of it with google. From the Sanskrit, "Chit-Saddam-Granthi" is an ancient Vedic expression, meaning "consciousness-rope-knot". It is the falsely tied cord around the conceptual self inside the mind.

Inside of this cord, it fills up with a world concept and makes this little "I" out of it, and the Vedic teaching is to empty it, untie the knot, and to have one's enlightenment.

But there is more. You have not gone into the ocean. You have not crossed to the other side (at this point). Untying the knot is removing the cental mechanism of lower life, to remove to have a higher one. This mechanism, I believe, helps to keep us alive until the physical organism can survive without it. In Hinduism, removal is enlightenment, but then, there is farther to go, and so a range of enlightenment, not unlike unenlightenment, is the Hindu case. There is then a spectrum of the quality of it at any point.

Ok. The simple question... I'm curious if this would translate into anything Buddhist?

Cheers,
Mark

Comments

• edited October 2010
    "Saddam" seems like an unlikely Sanskrit word by its formulation. Can you give me the source for this term? The various granthi that occur in the yogic body are pretty much the same in name and function between Buddhist and Hindu yoga/tantra. If you can point me to where you found this term I might be able to shed some more light.

Best,

Karma Dorje
  • edited October 2010
    Hi, I have old memory on this. I remembered it as above for many years. I am still wondering why I have the trouble with it, so perhaps it is a deeply lodged mistake. You may have pointed out the error in it, Karma Dorje. I will quote from a copy of "The Spiritual Teaching of Ramana Maharshi", Shambhala, 1988.

From the index:
    chit-jada granthi: The "knot between pure consciousness and the insentient body"; the ego

From the text:
    Question: While the one aim is to realize the unconditioned, pure Being of the Self, which is in no way dependent on the ego, how can inquiry pertaining to the ego in the form of aham-vrtti be of any use?

Answer: From the functional point of view of the form, activity, or whatever else you may call it (it is immaterial, since it is evanescent), the ego has one and only one characteristic. The ego functions as the knot between the self, which is pure Consciousness, and the physical body, which is inert and insentient. The ego is therefore called the chit-jada granthi. In your investigation into the Source of aham-vrtti, you take the essential chit aspect of the ego: and for this reason the inquiry must lead to the realization of the pure Consciousness of the Self.