Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Carl Sagan's Cosmos

ZaylZayl Veteran
edited October 2010 in Arts & Writings
I just got done finishing the series and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. Aside from being scientifically accurate for the decade (more or less) it goes well into explaining some realities of humanity and this universe we live in. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this series? if so what were your thoughts?

Comments

• ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I saw it when it was first shown on PBS and LOVED it.
    I saw one updated version...I think in the 90's?, and some day when I feel wealthy, I'd like to get it on dvd.

Carl Sagan was a very important person for me, as much as most Buddhist authors really.

You might want to check out his books "Brocas Brain" and the "Dragons of Eden"
    and there are others too.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited October 2010
    http://www.hulu.com/cosmos

thats a link to the full series for free, with some commercials but still worth it.

enjoy!

I really like how all through the series he emphasizes how important it is for humanity to get along. after all he said "The earth is one living organism. and an organism at war with itself is destined to fail" OR something similar.

I'll have to check out those books when I'm at the library next time, thank you :)
  • edited October 2010
    Thanks for the hulu link zayl! Sagan's work is awesome; I've also read Angels & Demons and I loved it.
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Sadly the Hulu link is only for the US. :(

Unless I do the proxy thing...which seems less than Buddhist somehow.:D
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Shutoku wrote: »
    Sadly the Hulu link is only for the US. :(

Unless I do the proxy thing...which seems less than Buddhist somehow.:D
    I don't see how it would be less than Buddhist :p
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Well I meant it somewhat tongue in cheek, but I would be lying to some extent...making it appear I live in the US instead of Canada.

I still have the VHS copies of the original and updated versions though, so with or without a proxy, you have inspired me to re-watch it, so thanks for the link and the thread!:cool:
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Shutoku wrote: »
    Well I meant it somewhat tongue in cheek, but I would be lying to some extent...making it appear I live in the US instead of Canada.

I still have the VHS copies of the original and updated versions though, so with or without a proxy, you have inspired me to re-watch it, so thanks for the link and the thread!:cool:

Oh you're so lucky! and hey you're welcome. :lol:
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited October 2010
    The Dragons of Eden presents a very interesting concept. Although framed in a non-Buddhist perspective Carl suggests that we carry the "memories" of past ancestors in our genetic code... Hmmmm.... not too far a stretch from carry the karma of our past lives into future generations. What's your thought on that Shutoku?
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I sort of remember that (no pun intended) but I haven't read the book in a long time.

I seem to recall for example that most of us have an inherent fear of spiders, even if we haven't been bitten before. Same with snakes. I'd have to re-read it though to get the context again.
  • edited October 2010
    Fear of snakes? Awwww, come on, snakes are awesome!