Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

WW2 military responce justified?

edited October 2010 in General Banter
Hey there people :).

I have always said that in my eyes the responce from the ALLIES in WW2 was justified and one of the only wars that was needed as there was a real threat to freedom and mankind as a whole and the terrible things that were occuring in occupied europe needed to be stopped. Only this year being interested in Buddhissm, I wonder if you guys agree that violence in return to bring hitler down was justified and DDAY through to the end was needed. If the core motive SIMPLY was to ensure freedom for people and stop the suffering of those under occupation. Lets not get into an argument about how it wasnt simply about those things and say if it was occuring now and the allied leaders were all Buddhist and this was 1940 after France had fell.

I don't think peaceful negotiation with Hitler would be possible althought it could be pursued but just like occured in real, his demands would grow and grow. The fire bombings of german cities etc should not have been done but what about actual military action such as bombing the ruhr where production of german tanks occured and on the ground combat. Looking back at the conflict, it is obvious that many people still suffer from the effects but most germans being 1/4 german myself understand the removal of hitler was necessary. It would be obvious straight away that the average german soldier was simply doing his job and much of the german population for instance were told Poland attacked germany. Compassion would be needed but the simple fact is, fighting surly would of been needed?

Love to hear your thoughts on this one
Chris

Comments

• ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited October 2010
    'course.

If your land is taken by force and people around you are being murdered, you have a responsibility to fight back.
  • edited October 2010
    I would say DDAY played an important role in requireing germany to then fight on 3 fronts and have to seriously start defending the western side. If they had repelled the invasion, it has been said by many that another one would not be attempted for either a long time or not at all. They would then of been able to supply more materials and troops to the eastern front and southern italian front. There were of course many reasons that Germany lost the war, The biggest one in my opinion was Hitler making decisions and not listening to his generals, Hitler was himself his own downfall.

The debate really here though is what would of been acceptable and what would of not, the scale of what Hitler had done and the fanatical Nazis needed to be stopped and I think the cycle of violence occuring here does not matter as there was no excuse or valid demands for what Germany was doing. In other conflicts though, if you have people murdered, simply responding with murder is not the solution at all.
    edited October 2010
    Absolutely, it's not like Tibetan monks just stand by and let the Chinese military kill everyone. The monks are actually quite violent towards the oppressors.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited October 2010
    'course. Though DDAY didn't actually play much of a role in the defeat of Germany.

Huh? What history have you read? I think the tens of thousands of guys who died on the western European front between June 1944 and May 1945 might beg to differ with you.

The Soviets made excellent progress from the east, but even Stalin admitted that they could not have defeated Germany alone most likely.
  • edited October 2010
    One thing worth considering is the enormous toll on life and absolutely awful suffering in Poland and Russia. Haphazard scorched earth tactics and systematic genocide was the order of the day in eastern europe. The Japanese were equally brutal in their treatment of the chinese.. there are no words..

Anyway, the war was what it was. It played itself out, people were liberated, the murder and atrocity scaled down dramatically.

I think what you're trying to get at is some kind of fairness. If you call lashing out in retaliation fairness then it was. Some of the retaliation did serve to restore a 'balance' in some perverse way but many acts were not called for and did not create any fairness. It was simply one cruel blow for another with some unrelated party bearing the brunt.

But we also have to remember the more personal accounts. If you have not already done so you may perhaps want to check out 'letters from iwo jima' (the book, NOT the film) Consider resistance movements such as the Bielski brothers that managed to save hundreds of lives and created a small functional community in the process.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Not the kind they teach in America. Germany was well and truly weakened beforehand. It was irrelevant though, sorry for bringing it up.

I don't want to get into a huge thing about it, but I find your initial comment highly disrespectful to all those who participated and the enormous sacrifices they made. And I think you'd have a *really* hard time finding any student of military history (of which I consider myself one) who would agree with you on that, I don't care where they come from.
  • ChrysalidChrysalid Veteran
    edited October 2010
    It's not like the Allies didn't give Hitler a chance for peaceful resolution before war was declared, each time he invaded anywhere we'd wag our fingers, call him naughty and ask him to stop. He was told "Invade Poland and we'll be forced to declare war against you." He invaded Poland, war was declared.

I don't think Buddha ever suggested we roll over and let ourselves be slaughtered in the face of invasion.
    edited October 2010
    Mountains wrote: »
    I don't want to get into a huge thing about it, but I find your initial comment highly disrespectful to all those who participated and the enormous sacrifices they made. And I think you'd have a *really* hard time finding any student of military history (of which I consider myself one) who would agree with you on that, I don't care where they come from.

I edited the post for you.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I know that the following is advice for those who have ordained, but it is food for thought none-the-less:

"Just now, lord, after the meal, on returning from our alms round, we gathered at the meeting hall and got engaged in many kinds of bestial topics of conversation: conversation about kings, robbers, & ministers of state; armies, alarms, & battles; food & drink; clothing, furniture, garlands, & scents; relatives; vehicles; villages, towns, cities, the countryside; women & heroes; the gossip of the street & the well; tales of the dead; tales of diversity, the creation of the world & of the sea; talk of whether things exist or not."

"It isn't right, monks, that sons of good families, on having gone forth out of faith from home to the homeless life, should get engaged in such topics of conversation, i.e., conversation about kings, robbers, & ministers of state... talk of whether things exist or not.

"There are these ten topics of [proper] conversation. Which ten? Talk on modesty, on contentment, on seclusion, on non-entanglement, on arousing persistence, on virtue, on concentration, on discernment, on release, and on the knowledge & vision of release. These are the ten topics of conversation. If you were to engage repeatedly in these ten topics of conversation, you would outshine even the sun & moon, so mighty, so powerful — to say nothing of the wanderers of other sects."

"Kathavatthu Sutta: Topics of Conversation (1)" (AN 10.69), translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu. Access to Insight, July 4, 2010, http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an10/an10.069.than.html
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Pat Buchanan wrote a surprisingly good book about this topic. (Surprising to me, at any rate.) Churchill, Hitler, and "The Unnecessary War": How Britain Lost Its Empire and the West Lost the World. If you can stomach the Western supremacism and the occasional tricky argument, it is hard to refute his main premises:

1. That Britain would have been better off not fighting the war, because to begin with, Hitler had no designs to the West and intended to take his Lebensraum from Russia. In fact, Poland was obviously just a stepping stone to Russia. If Britain hadn't distracted Hitler from this design by entering into a war of choice, Hitler would have set the two worst Western regimes of the 20C at each other's throats. Instead, the USSR became won of the big winners of WWII.
    2. That Britain lost its empire because it squandered its resources in the two world wars, which came about because it saw itstelf as a kind of "policeman to the world."

Another good book on this topic is Human Smoke: The Beginnings of World War II, the End of Civilization. It is a kind of history of the lead up to WWII, told from the perspective of the pacifists who resisted it. It ends with the following text:
    "Was it a "good war"? Did waging it help anyone who needed help? Those where the basic questions that I hoped to answer when I began writing.

"I dedicate this book to the memory of Clarence Pickett and other American and British pacifists. They've never really gotten their due. They tried to save Jewish refugees, feed Europe, reconcile the United States and Japan, and stop the war from happening. They failed, but they were right."
    One of its main premises is that the British strategy of trying to starve Germany into submission by blockading Europe and bombing Germany's food supply and residential structures played a central role in escalating the Nazi persecution of Jewish people to genocide.

To anyone who thinks bringing these kinds of questions up is "disrespectful" of people who fought in the war: Shutting down dissent with such a blatantly false dichotomy is disrespectful to the human capacity for critical thought. Such rhetoric blinded US citizens to the folly they were agreeing to as they submitted to the prosecution of the Iraq war.
    edited October 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    One of its main premises is that the British strategy of trying to starve Germany into submission by blockading Europe and bombing Germany's food supply and residential structures played a central role in escalating the Nazi persecution of Jewish people to genocide.
    Then they are wrong. The Nazi's extermination of the Jewish people was one of their ultimate goals, if we had not gone to war and let the Nazi's spread east, Hitler would have killed even more than 6 million. Yes, they escalated their killings of Jews when they realised they were going to lose the war, but that was an act of desparation "we might lose but at least we'll have rid Germany of the Jews", the people killed wouldn't have lived if we had not gone to war.
  • edited October 2010
    But the German people did feel pissed off and very poor to a certain extent through no fault of their own. So how did hitler and his cronies win some public support? By placing blame on all the 'fatcat' Jews, the intention was to answer the cry of the public, and to offer a 'solution' to the problem. :-/

I'm uncertain whether this is entirely accurate but I think it captures the gist of the situation and adds a little credibility to Fivebells post.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2010
    ATLANT3AN wrote: »
    ......Lets not get into an argument about how it wasnt simply about those things and say if it was occuring now and the allied leaders were all Buddhist and this was 1940 after France had fell.

....Pardon....?
    I don't think peaceful negotiation with Hitler would be possible .....fighting surly would of been needed?

Love to hear your thoughts on this one

Chris
    Given that America only entered the 2nd world war 2 years in, because they took distinct umbrage at a little spot of bother from the Japanese, I don't feel any American is at all justified in putting forward any hypothetical comment on the whys and wherefores on who did what when and how, in Europe, two years earlier.

She said. :poke:

Hurling the cat amongst the pigeons....:hiding:

:D

Besides, when you consider the upbringing Hitler had, I think his parents should have been shot. That would have saved Europe ans awful lot of trouble.
    edited October 2010
    Chrysalid wrote: »
    Then they are wrong. The Nazi's extermination of the Jewish people was one of their ultimate goals, if we had not gone to war and let the Nazi's spread east, Hitler would have killed even more than 6 million. Yes, they escalated their killings of Jews when they realised they were going to lose the war, but that was an act of desparation "we might lose but at least we'll have rid Germany of the Jews", the people killed wouldn't have lived if we had not gone to war.
    If you know of any primary evidence supporting this view, I'll be very interested to read it. Both the books I cited give primary evidence which contradicts your claim.
    edited October 2010
    federica wrote: »
    Given that America only entered the 2nd world war 2 years in, because they took distinct umbrage at a little spot of bother from the Japanese, I don't feel any American is at all justified in putting forward any hypothetical comment on the whys and wherefores on who did what when and how, in Europe, two years earlier.
    Jingoism is a great way to shut down dissent and critical thinking, too. :)

Both of the authors I cited are American, but they were not motivated by anti-British sentiment. Both books are a reaction to the Churchillian doctrine and rhetoric used to justify America's disastrous occupation of Iraq. They want to show the bankruptcy of that doctrine, and how it bankrupted Britain.

Neither book has positive things to say about America's conduct in the war. Despite Pearl Harbor, the Pacific theater was essentially a war of choice for America, in as much as the US oil embargo on Japan presented the Japanese with a dilemma between drastically scaling back their empire or taking the oil from somewhere by force. A pre-emptive attack from Japan was a predictable outcome of this policy. In fact, as Britain scaled back its own navy, it initially cooperated with Japan's navy to enforce British Imperial interests in the Pacific. This relationship ended because America pressured Britain to back out of it. It wanted dominance of the Pacific to itself, and it wanted Japan isolated for this reason.

Both books make it clear that America made out like a bandit from its involvement in WWII. Britain only finished paying back the WWII loans it took from the US this century. Pacifists at the time predicted the windfall the US would make from WWII.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited October 2010
    This is an interesting discussion, and it gets more interesting as the historical narrative that I once took for granted is now not so certain. There are more histories it seems every day.

Here are some perceptions... ...not a coherent historical theory, just some perceptions.

- Pearl harbour wasn't just "a little spot of trouble" and from what I understand, conflict was brewing for a while.

-I may have distorted perception being half Jewish, and hearing the stories first hand. The means of extermination and the bureaucracy involved was uniquely horrific, and had to stopped at any cost. I have read that mass extermination began with the mentally handicapped. There were kids with Downs Syndrome being herded into death chambers. Having said this, that is not why the Nazis were stopped. It was only after the war that the cause of stopping the persecution of unlikable people was invoked.

-The Third Reich can be seen in different ways and I also can't help having an Art history lens that looks at their notions of Truth and Beauty as evidenced in their Arts. Their views on "Degenerate Art" and their vision of a corrected world, was uniquely appalling and dangerous to human creative spirit.

-The Soviet project was doomed to fail from the start because it had a false vitality. The Nazis had real ancient vitality, and looked like a mechanized throwback to ancient war. They wanted blood and could have gone on for a long time, but not a thousand years

The accelerated processing of Jews, was just that accelerated. My guess is that if Britain did not go to war with Germany, it would eventually have been given the choice between an alliance based on an acceptable racial affinity, or war, anyway. If they did not go to war the Nazis would would have thrown all their resources into the east and may very well have establish their living space by enslaving or killing all of its inhabitants.
    ....I can't see how war could have been avoided.

-The second world war is the spanner in the works in terms of pacifism. It would have been immoral to not fight the Nazis.

-The Allies committed war crimes, clearly.
    edited October 2010
    Richard H wrote: »
    Pearl harbour wasn't just "a little spot of trouble" and from what I understand, conflict was brewing for a while.
    It had been brewing ever since Commodore Perry forced Japan into relationship with the US. This occurred between the two opium wars, and the corresponding threat to Japanese sovereignty was very clear to the Japanese. This was the basis of the Meiji era, which led to Japan's own imperial ambitions taking on an independent momentum, but those ambitions started as a means of self-preservation in the face of an external threat.

You can make a pretty strong case that the root cause of WWII was imperialism. In the Pacific theater, it's very clear, and the tendency for Germany to be treated as a client nation by the victors of WWI played an immense role in destabilizing civil society. Certainly the initial British strategy of trying to bomb and starve the Germans into submission had its roots in methods developed when suppressing colonized peoples.
    I may have distorted perception being half Jewish, and hearing the stories first hand. The means of extermination and the bureaucracy involved was uniquely horrific, and had to stopped at any cost. I have read that mass extermination began with the mentally handicapped. There were kids with Downs Syndrome being herded into death chambers.

Mein Kampf makes it clear that Nazism was a hateful regime and that many vulnerable people were bound to get it in the neck when Hitler achieved control of the German government. Certainly tens of thousands of people were going to die as a result. However, the wholesale systematic extermination of Jewish people wasn't even considered until the British blockade began to seriously degrade Germany's ability to support its citizens. There were Nazi plans to move Jewish people wholesale to Madagascar, and there were negotiations between Nazis and Zionists to train Jews in preparation for moving them to Palestine. These plans were still ethnic cleansing, still abhorrent, and still bound to lead to tremendous suffering and loss of life. But they pale in comparison to what actually happened.
    The accelerated processing of Jews, was just that accelerated.

Having said this, that is not why the Nazis were stopped. It was only after the war that the cause of stopping the persecution of unlikable people was invoked.

You're right. In fact, throughout the war, the British were turning back ships carrying Jewish refugees from Eastern Europe to Palestine. I believe there was even a rumor that they sunk one such ship. They were more interested in maintaining smooth relations with the Arabs, to ease the extraction of oil from the Middle East. And Roosevelt was pretty clearly an anti-Semite, or at least beholden to anti-Semitic interests. (That story so flabbergasted me that I looked up Morgenthau's memoirs about it. Roosevelt told the story in the context of explaining to Morgenthau that he wasn't going to increase the Jewish immigration quota despite the crisis in Europe, because to do so might be invidious for other races.)
    The Soviet project was doomed to fail from the start because it had a false vitality. The Nazis had real ancient vitality, and looked like a mechanized throwback to ancient war. They wanted blood and could have gone on for a long time, but not a thousand years

My guess is that if Britain did not go to war with Germany, it would eventually have been given the choice between an alliance based on an acceptable racial affinity, or war, anyway. If they did not go to war the Nazis would would have thrown all their resources into the east and may very well have establish their living space by enslaving or killing all of its inhabitants. ....I can't see how war could have been avoided.

The Russian defense strategy was sound, and devastating to the Germans: give them nothing on the land they take, attenuate their supply lines, and wait for Winter. Without the Western front, it would have gone on a lot longer, and hurt Russia a lot worse, but we wouldn't have wound up with the Eastern Bloc. We wouldn't have wound up with decades of risk of nuclear annihilation from a conflict between the US and the USSR. And enslavement under the USSR doesn't seem much different from enslavement under the Nazis.

The US and Britain had the option of supporting Russia with logistics and material, at far less cost to themselves. They could have played the two tyrannies off against each other for years, until they were completely played out. But you don't get to look like a big man doing things like that...

And I don't agree that Hitler initially had designs to the West of Germany. When he remilitarized the Rhineland, he built defensive fortresses, not means of invasion.
    The second world war is the spanner in the works in terms of pacifism. It would have been immoral to not fight the Nazis.

It would have been immoral to do nothing to help those vulnerable to the Nazis to escape (exactly what happened. In fact, attempts to escape were actively impeded by the Allies.) It would have been immoral to give aid and comfort to one of the worst tyrannies in history (exactly what happened: the USSR was one of the big winners of the war.) Both these immoral outcomes could have been avoided without military involvement by the US or Britain.
    edited October 2010
    Also, I agree that pacifism is a bankrupt approach. Even Gandhi agreed with that. But people resort to violence far more often than is wise, even from their most selfish perspective. WWII is a case in point (on both sides of the conflict.)
  • edited October 2010
    if i were a secret agent in the time of the war, i would have gone for the third reich's achilles heel, that is i would of parachuted into germany and shaved off hitler's moustache and sprinkled anti-hairgrowing pesticides on his face... i would be a terrorist barber... no one would have recognized their dear "furher", and he would have been lambasted as a buffoon.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited October 2010
    It had been brewing ever since Commodore Perry forced Japan into relationship with the US. This occurred between the two opium wars, and the corresponding threat to Japanese sovereignty was very clear to the Japanese. This was the basis of the Meiji era, which led to Japan's own imperial ambitions taking on an independent momentum, but those ambitions started as a means of self-preservation in the face of an external threat...
    This is what I have heard.
    You can make a pretty strong case that the root cause of WWII was imperialism. In the Pacific theater, it's very clear, and the tendency for Germany to be treated as a client nation by the victors of WWI played an immense role in destabilizing civil society. Certainly the initial British strategy of trying to bomb and starve the Germans into submission had its roots in methods developed when suppressing colonized peoples..
    Yes. No colonialism, no war, by the looks of it. But the Colonial Cause seems overplayed. This not a denial, just a question, around causes. What problem wasn't caused by colonialism? And with whom does the buck stop?

Mein Kampf makes it clear that Nazism was a hateful regime and that many vulnerable people were bound to get it in the neck when Hitler achieved control of the German government. Certainly tens of thousands of people were going to die as a result. However, the wholesale systematic extermination of Jewish people wasn't even considered until the British blockade began to seriously degrade Germany's ability to support its citizens. There were Nazi plans to move Jewish people wholesale to Madagascar, and there were negotiations between Nazis and Zionists to train Jews in preparation for moving them to Palestine. These plans were still ethnic cleansing, still abhorrent, and still bound to lead to tremendous suffering and loss of life. But they pale in comparison to what actually happened...
    All I can say is that this is a very different history than what have been taught. The extermination was not just considered ,but an article of faith. The Jews were vermin, the Nazi vision was global ( cosmic in some minds), and they, along with homosexuals, the genetically corrupt, and others were excluded from the Nazi vision of bright clean world. It does bother me when history is up in the air, not because our assumptions shouldn't be questioned, but because history is then a function of ideology. ...but then maybe it is anyway.

The Russian defense strategy was sound, and devastating to the Germans: give them nothing on the land they take, attenuate their supply lines, and wait for Winter. Without the Western front, it would have gone on a lot longer, and hurt Russia a lot worse, but we wouldn't have wound up with the Eastern Bloc. We wouldn't have wound up with decades of risk of nuclear annihilation from a conflict between the US and the USSR. And enslavement under the USSR doesn't seem much different from enslavement under the Nazis...
    ...except enslavement under the Nazis would be race based. Which IMO would have been more vicious
    The US and Britain had the option of supporting Russia with logistics and material, at far less cost to themselves. They could have played the two tyrannies off against each other for years, until they were completely played out. But you don't get to look like a big man doing things like that.....
    That is a gruesome scenario though.
    And I don't agree that Hitler initially had designs to the West of Germany. When he remilitarized the Rhineland, he built defensive fortresses, not means of invasion..
    I don't know Hitlers long term plans and strategies, but the Nazi vision was global in the long run, like any superpower.

It would have been immoral to do nothing to help those vulnerable to the Nazis to escape (exactly what happened. In fact, attempts to escape were actively impeded by the Allies.) It would have been immoral to give aid and comfort to one of the worst tyrannies in history (exactly what happened: the USSR was one of the big winners of the war.) Both these immoral outcomes could have been avoided without military involvement by the US or Britain.
    I agree, if your assertion that the Nazi's would not have engaged in mass killing of "inferior" people is true. I don't belive it is true. Nazi Ideology was pernicious. The Soviets for all their crimes (along with their deluded supporters in the west) had at least the germ of a notion that was not beyond redemption.

But. I'm no historian, my limited knowledge has accumulated over time from any number of sources.
    edited October 2010
    If you know of any primary evidence supporting this view, I'll be very interested to read it. Both the books I cited give primary evidence which contradicts your claim.
    Sure. It's not like it's uncommon knowledge;
    "Today I will once more be a prophet: If the international Jewish financiers in and outside Europe should succeed in plunging the nations once more into a world war, then the result will not be the Bolshevization of the earth, and thus the victory of Jewry, but the annihilation of the Jewish race in Europe!"
    In other words, if the world went to war against Nazi Germany (and Hitler saw Jews behind the decisions of opposing nations) he would exterminate them.
    Considering Hitler's original plan was to conquer the Soviet Union, he knew his actions would lead, inevitably, to war. Blaming this inevitability on the Jews was part of the plan from the very beginning. Sending Jews to Madagascar was one of the options I heard about, before they came up with the camps idea, of course that was also a death sentence as the plan was simply to dump them on the beach with no food, water, shelter or medical supplies. Some might have survived, most wouldn't.

Either way the cause of the Holocaust was not the war method of the Allies, it was planned from the beginning.
    edited October 2010
    A rant in the Reichstag is not a policy statement, it's a political posture. Also, it helps to put that quote in context. He was saying that annihilation of Jewish people would come about because other nations of the world would not take the Jews in. Allowing Jews in German-controlled region to emigrate would have been a far better way of helping them than going to war with Germany. As Hitler says in that speech, it would have prevented their murder.

And your position just doesn't match up with the chronology of what happened. Forced emigration of Jews was the policy up until the Wannsee Conference, and plans for a policy of systematically murdering Jewish people weren't requested by Goering until the Summer of 1941, when the war was well underway.
  • edited October 2010
    ....Pardon....?
    Merely asking the question that if it was 1939 after Germany had invaded Poland actually and if the elite who had control over decision making were a council of people who practised in Buddhist philosphy and ideals, what might the course of action taken? would it possibly have been any different?

I don't understand this? I am english for one unless I am misunderstand your comment.

Chris :)
    <table style="width: 488px; height: 16px;" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset;">
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    edited October 2010
    Allowing Jews in German-controlled region to emigrate would have been a far better way of helping them than going to war with Germany. As Hitler says in that speech, it would have prevented their murder.
    And hindsight is a marvellous thing. Do you think that if we knew that the Nazi's were going to start exterminating the Jews in their controlled lands that we wouldn't have let them emigrate?

No matter how much you'd like to believe it, Great Britain and the Allies weren't responsible for the Holocaust, the Nazi's were. Trying to spin it to make Hitler look like he wasn't responsible, that we forced him into it, is simply re-writing history.