Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Anticipation vs. grasping

MountainsMountains Veteran
edited October 2010 in General Banter
So I decided that as a reward for (hopefully) getting through this current semester from hell, a friend and I are going to take a holiday in Belize around the new year. I've never been there before, and haven't taken a *real* holiday where I could just go sit on a beach and do absolutely nothing for a week since, well, since like never. We've more or less decided on a very small, very isolated yoga retreat that's right on the beach. In short, it sounds just about perfect.

Naturally I'm greatly anticipating this trip. But I don't want to focus on it so much that I get "attached" to something that hasn't happened, and won't for about 4 months.

Where does eager anticipation morph into grasping? :)

Comments

• ChrysalidChrysalid Veteran
    edited October 2010
    As soon as it occurs I'm afraid. :(

I actually quite like the feeling of anticipation, but I find that it always results in disappointment. As what we're looking forward to never lives up to the idealised version we create for ourselves beforehand.
  • edited October 2010
    Sounds terrific.
    If you don't want to get distracted by it, you could make all the plans now (i.e. hotel reservations, etc) and then just forget about. In a few months, you'll have a pleasant "surprise"!

On the other hand, feelings of anticipation are nice. I think 90% of the fun of Christmas presents is having an unknown gift beautifully wrapped. The anticipation and the mystery is the gift.

Grasping for me occurs when I'm enjoying the anticipation and then try to hold on to the feeling. But if you know that the experience is impermanent, then there's no hook.