Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Acceptance, Change, Balance..?

edited October 2010 in Buddhism Today
hello again! i have been pondering a concept that affects me on a daily basis, a question that recurs in my mind all the time! If I am experiencing some sort of disconnection with an aspect of my life, some part where I don't quite synch with it as well as I could...like "work" or "strangers", etc. Should I make the necessary changes to be comfortable in life and learn about my own preferences? Or should I accept this aspect of my life the way it is? Naturally, I want to be comfortable and do the things I love so there is continuing interest and passion. But..I also want to be able to embrace what I have and the nature of things Now.
any advice?
Namaste and thank you. <3

Comments

• edited October 2010
    I don't think I follow
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2010
    The "watcher" and the "watched are one and the same.
    This 'separatism' you experience is simply more Mind-games, and ego driven.
    do not connect and do not disconnect.

Just Be.

Do not make your Effort go in the wrong direction.
    The best Effort is neutral, and Effortless.

Don't 'want to be able' to do anything.
    Just do It.
  • pineblossompineblossom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    hello again! i have been pondering a concept that affects me on a daily basis, a question that recurs in my mind all the time! If I am experiencing some sort of disconnection with an aspect of my life, some part where I don't quite synch with it as well as I could...like "work" or "strangers", etc. Should I make the necessary changes to be comfortable in life and learn about my own preferences? Or should I accept this aspect of my life the way it is? Naturally, I want to be comfortable and do the things I love so there is continuing interest and passion. But..I also want to be able to embrace what I have and the nature of things Now.
    any advice?
    Namaste and thank you. <3

I see two issues here.

One is the existence of samsara - everything changes so we are always uncomfortable. Seeking comfort is therefore illusionary.

On the other hand I see nothing inappropriate in making necessary changes to your life if you wish to do so - just don't make those changes solely to make yourself feel more comfortable.

The thing is, what are you going to do with your life given that you may die at any moment? How could you benefit migratory beings? Have you developed compassion? Do you seek enlightenment, and if your do, for what purpose?

Have you spoken to your teacher?
  • edited October 2010
    teacher??? that's why i'm here. --.--
  • edited October 2010
    When in such a situation myself, I try to ask myself WHY I'm not comfortable in certain situations.
    Some situations are best avoided and some are learning nodes and should be confronted and/or pursued with vigour.
    I guess the trick is to cultivate the wisdom to know the difference? :)

(Just a personal opinion - I'm not certain that there is an "official" Buddhist take on this, is there?)
    edited October 2010
    teacher??? that's why i'm here. --.--

Then you are looking in the wrong place. No teachers here - just bumbling farting students, rank with lust and drunk on our own importance.

You need a teacher.
  • edited October 2010
    How does one find a teacher? I live near Boston, Ma.
    edited October 2010
    I just googled Buddhism Boston and found a heap. The nearest centre to me takes a 400 k round trip - you could be so lucky.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    just bumbling farting students, rank with lust and drunk on our own importance.

A bit cynical, don't you think? :lol:
  • edited October 2010
    wicked cynical. and i've gotten exceptional advice from the "bumbling farting students." ...
  • edited October 2010
    thank you Dog Star!
  • edited October 2010
    I think that you shouldn't think of it in terms of what you want to do or what you should be doing or any of it. Rather look at your actions(in all cases, not just this) in terms of skillfulness. If it's skillful, pursue it, if not don't. Of course this is easier said than done, but in theory :lol:
    edited October 2010
    GuyC wrote: »

Not mine - the words of an esteemed teacher - and I'm afraid I lost the reference. Namkhai Norbum Rinpoche I think. Kind of brings one down to earth don't you think?
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited October 2010
    GuyC wrote: »

It's a Queensland thing perhaps? :P

Seriously, as cynical as it may be, it really snaps you back to what matters, well for me anyway.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    just bumbling farting students, rank with lust and drunk on our own importance.

This morning while I was meditating I let one rip and then I remembered this quote. I guess there is an element of truth to it. :o
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Then you are looking in the wrong place. No teachers here - just bumbling farting students, rank with lust and drunk on our own importance.

You need a teacher.

Those people are sometimes the best teachers of all. Especially when you have to sit next to them, after a 15 bean soup dinner, and are not allowed to get up and move.