Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Endangered language discovered in India

Comments

• ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited October 2010
    'Endangered' language? Why is that even a thing?
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Shift, language is one of the best tools for studying a culture.
    edited October 2010
    Fair point.
  • edited October 2010
    I love languages and it's sad to think that one so small could be taken away.
    edited October 2010
    That's sort of what impermanence is about, isn't it?
  • edited October 2010
    really, who cares?
  • edited October 2010
    username_5 wrote: »
    really, who cares?

If you really don't care, then why bother posting to the fact?
    To me, that's just carelessness.
  • edited October 2010
    Dog Star wrote: »
    If you really don't care, then why bother posting to the fact?
    To me, that's just carelessness.

Understood, but my point is 'who cares?' Why is this of any importance? There are thousands of languages still spoken on the planet, most of them by a few hundred people or less. Of what importance is it if a language dies when the people speaking it die or adopt a different language?
  • edited October 2010
    Not important insofar as we will all get up tomorrow and go about our daily business and not be impacted in any significant way.
    The passing of any culture, however minor is, in my mis-guided opinion, a matter of some regret.
    I can understand if this is not something to concern you personally.
    What I don't entirely understand is why you should make the effort to inform us all of your lack of concern.
    There are many things that I don't particularly care about, but I don't necessarily feel obliged to inform others of that indifference.
    I'm far more interested in what people care about as opposed to what they don't care about.
    Please understand that my original post was not meant as a personal slight against you.
    But if a post does not interest me personally, I don't feel obliged to post my non-interest. I just don't post on that thread.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited October 2010
    On the west coast of Canada, and probably all over north america, efforts are underway to salvage the languages of First nations people. Much of their history is contained in the language which is spoken by a few elders. It may not be important to most Canadians, but these folks are trying to heal themselves. Having a link to their past through their original language is important for the young people. Even if they dont see it till they are older. I have lived next to a reserve for 35 years. There were still some people that barely spoke english when I moved there. Now there cant be more than a handful that understand the language. Over all they haven't adapted very well to white culture as it is. Lately they are promoting themselves as the original residents of the coast and their art and culture and understanding of their place in the land is a big part of what they have to offer. The language may never be learned by the kids but I think that having a record of it so that it is not lost is important.
  • edited October 2010
    robot wrote: »
    The language may never be learned by the kids but I think that having a record of it so that it is not lost is important.

Wouldn't this be an attachment that just leads them to suffer? Bemoaning a lost culture that they don't actually care enough about to learn it's language?

Perhaps that is what leaves me with an odd feeling about this whole topic. Species die, cultures die, languages die, who cares? Perhaps it just strikes me as an unnecessary type of attachment. Trying to grasp at the wind.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I think that far from dieing the native culture is going tho make a strong comeback in the decades to come. The language contains ways of relating to the world that we may not understand coming from a different background. Who hasn't heard that the Inuit language has 27 different words for describing snow conditions or whatever. There are numerous references to Pali and Sanskrit terms used on this site. I doubt that anyone is fluent in those languages here. Also the local language here is painful to listen to never mind trying to become fluent in it. No, I doubt if many of the local kids will learn their language but I can imagine them needing it as a a part understanding their history.
  • edited October 2010
    Australia was a home to roughly 250 different indigenous languages before the arrival of Europeans.
    In most of the Australian continent today, most of those languages (Along with their culture and knowledge of medicinal plants built up over 20 odd thousand years) are represented by fewer then 100 speakers.
    In Central (where I live) and parts of Northern Australia, the speakers of various languages (and thus the accumulated wisdom of 20,000 years of culture, philosophy, cosmology and medicinal plants) is still mercifully represented by over 1000 speakers.
    The rest are forgotten, all but lost, gone!
    I love to sit near old Black Fellas in town and listen to their quitely whispered lingo as they talk amongst themselves.
    (It sounds like they are saying "Ullamoolawoolagoolafoolajoola...etc. and sounds like the wind whispering through the leaves of gum trees. It's beautiful to hear.)
    There will come a time when the opportunity to have such an experience will no longer exist.
    I guess that in the Grand Scheme of things that that's of no overwhelming importance.
    But by All The Gods That May Exist -
    I'm bloody pleased and priveleged that I have had that experience and I feel for those who will lack it!
    Important?
    Make up your own mind! :)
  • Buddha_RocketBuddha_Rocket Explorer
    edited October 2010
    Is jive dead?
  • edited October 2010
    Is jive dead?

No, but like me, it's seriously dated. :D
    edited October 2010
    Jive is a dialect of english, not a language of its' own. The fact of the matter is, when a language dies, teh culture it represented dies with it. It's that simple. The best weapon to fight cultural imperialism is to preserve the language in a natural form. It's like the line from Iron Man 2: "Who speaks Latin?" "Nobody speaks Latin. They read or write Latin." The fact is, no matter how much people study classic Latin, they don't truly speak it because Roman Culture died about 1600 years ago. It's only modern languages that will be more understood when we are gone, and those who study our languages will not truly understand many of the slang usages.
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Kia Ora.About 25 years ago there was a huge interest in speaking the Maori language started in NZ.Along with this Maori culture was also revived.This has culminated in a diversity that I for one am happy to see.The early settlers of my homeland forced the Maori people to adopt their christian values and their language.(English)Maori children caught speaking Maori at school had it beaten out of them.:sadc:
    Today we have tv stations dedicated to the Maori language,Maraes(Maori meeting houses)every where,which both Maori and Pakeha(white fullahs)like me are free to go and stay at,to learn about the Maori ways.
    Would the Maori have survived with out their language,sure,but now we don't just have them surviving,we have a whole culture indigenous to our land reviving.For me this is a great thing.
    With metta
  • edited October 2010
    ^ Free Maori !
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Another perspective--say there was a group of backwoods rednecks living in Tennessee undiscovered for a few hundred years that never caught on with the media age. They are uneducated and neither read or right. As the United States grows the backwoods rednecks' numbers wane as they're absorbed by modern culture. They speak some odd dialect of English that's as incomprehensible as Scots English. Is this a tragedy? What about the "Pennsylvanian Dutch/Deitsch" speaking Anabaptist Germans whose language isn't doing so well despite its being recorded? What if a group of Ebonic speakers where isolated in some quarantined ghetto and spoke some Afro-English Creole that's not mutually intelligible with Standard English in several hundred years, but they too aren't literate and maintain only a tiny population?

Well, the neighbours of the Koro people may have and have had a similar opinion.
    edited October 2010
    valois, standard english won't be the same in several hundred years. And it would be a shame if a whole culture grew up around the isolated population and then a sudden intrusion of an outside culture forced a complete change on them. if such a culture grew up from such circumstances, we would be best served by learning their language and and culture and transitioning the culture to modern times, not by erasing the language and culture altogether.
  • edited October 2010
    bushinoki wrote: »
    valois, standard english won't be the same in several hundred years. And it would be a shame if a whole culture grew up around the isolated population and then a sudden intrusion of an outside culture forced a complete change on them. if such a culture grew up from such circumstances, we would be best served by learning their language and and culture and transitioning the culture to modern times, not by erasing the language and culture altogether.

Beautifully worded. sir. :)
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I didn't say I condoned it. It's only food for thought.

And yeah English will always evolve but it will evolve very, very, very slowly now with the media age and mass literacy.

Isolated populations and lack of literacy is what does it. I mean, can't we all understand 100 year old recordings of English, albeit in a funny New York accent? But without mass literacy a simple 200 years before Shakespearean English and you've got yourself Chaucer, not an impossible read, but very, very different and difficult.

I guess I'm simply showing the other side of the coin to elucidate that, as the Buddha might say, "shit happens". Where are the Anglo-Saxons and Wodin?

I do think it's a bit depressing, but by observing our own history and considering hypotheticals it's a big lesson in annica/impermanence.
    edited November 2010
    Valois, impermanence is a language evolving over time. Cultural genocide is a language and it's attached culture being wiped from the face of the earth.

Other than that, I don't much disagree with you. The problem is that many of these endangered languages don't have a writing system so they are passed orally. When people lose interest in learning a strictly oral tradition in favor of the more popular written tradition that surrounds them, a language and it's culture dies.
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Yes, but it doesn't bother me as much as you.

Isolating them as a culture is much like isolating the ego as an entity when in reality both are very fluid things.

Take for instance, before Martin Luther standardised the the high German dialect in the 1522 publishing of the New Testament, the dialects of german to dutch were seamless; an absolute gradient. You'd walk from central Germany northwest to the Netherlands and see German slowly fade into a distinct west germanic Dutch, walk south of Germany and it slowly fades into Swiss German. The same idea applies with Italian with Dante Alighieri's writing of La Divina Commedia in the early 1300's to unify the large gradation of languages mainly by an amalgamation of the Sicilian and Florencian languages with mixes of others, as every town was considered a city-state, like the Grecian poleis of old, each equiped with it's own language to create the modern Tuscan Italian dialect.

There's a fine line between distinct cultures. Perhaps the culture could have followed the middle way intuitively and sought refuge in basic electricity and literacy and they wouldn't be facing extinction, at the same time, had they done so, they'd probably have been swallowed by the greater surrounding culture.

A lesson in annica.
  • edited November 2010
    It's the loss of the culture and accumulated wisdom stretching back over millenia that goes with the loss of a language that I find regretful.
    Not depressing.
    Just regretful.

We too shall pass and perhaps Future Ones will look on our passing with momentary regret? :)
  • edited November 2010
    don't be attached to your/a language. there will be more...