Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

new at this

edited October 2010 in Buddhism Today
Wow I never saw this whole section before, but it's perfect for what I've been dealing with...basically, yes! How DO I practice Buddhism in a modern society?

If anybody remembers me, I used to post oh, a couple of months ago I guess. I moved, started a new job, and have been kind of going along since then...had my ups and downs, sometimes think I have it all figured out and feel like I'm on the right path, and other times (like now, I guess,) feeling like I have no idea what I'm doing or where I'm going.

I've got a big ego. I get easily caught up in things that make my ego bigger. I get caught up in people's reactions to the music I put out, for example. Just a couple of days ago, this guy who I'm doing some vocals for sent me a mix of a song we did, where I pretty much nailed the vocal. He was full of praise! And his co producer had even more extravagant praise! And I got so excited and happy, I laughed, giggled, started feeling like soda pop. I listened to that song over and over. In the back of my head I knew it wasn't good for me.

I did some superficial things to try and help facilitate giving up on my dreams of becoming a famous musician. Even saying that I have this dream is embarrassing. I stopped putting up youtube videos and took down most of the ones I had. I didn't ask anyone to vote for me in this contest I had entered (and didn't make it to the next round. But I still checked. I honestly still hoped.) But I still think about it all the time. I laid in bed today, daydreaming about getting a record deal and quitting my job and being able to have lots of time for spiritual practice, to really have nothing to do so that I could get deep into it... But it's still just a silly daydream. Still a means of escape.

I also stopped wearing makeup. Does anyone have thoughts on this? It just occurred to me how silly it is that people all try to look a certain way. "Attractive." There are all different kinds of people out there, of beings even! So many faces. So why shouldn't I just display mine? Why put on eye makeup to look prettier? I started just tying my hair back as well. And I thought about buying some new clothes, but then realized that would just be spiritual materialism. What's wrong with the clothes I've got? Maybe they are styled to look a certain way, which I don't think is important anymore, but they are what I have and there's no reason to spend more money.

But then I told my parents, and they were both pretty adamant about me wearing makeup again. "Just a little mascara, at least!" my Mom said. It makes me feel kind of bad. I have light eyelashes, and eye makeup really makes me look a lot "better." But...I just don't want to contribute to that image anymore. I don't want my actions to demonstrate that I agree that this is how women should look. I think people should be as they are.

But...oh that's not even what I really want to talk about. I haven't made any friends. I don't really want to, even. That would just settle me back into a lifestyle that I've had for a long time. I don't want to date, either. I'm against having a relationship. I don't think it's necessary. Maybe a long time from now when I wouldn't be so easily caught up in it, but not now. Whenever I think about an ideal life, this is what comes to mind: Simple. I go to work, I come home to my clean, studio apartment, make a nice healthy dinner, or maybe get something on the way home, do some chores, meditate, read, do some music (I haven't given up music, just the attachment to fame. I think music is actually what I do best...it feels like art is what I'm best suited for...if I could change careers, I probably would,) go to bed early enough to wake up to watch the sun rise. And maybe do some yoga or something before work.

But...I just can't do it... Every once in a while I have a really "good," day kind of, where I'm open and slow and my mind is clear. But something always happens. I feel like I'm being pulled in all of these different directions. It's hard to really care about work. I'm a software engineer. And I don't think what my company does is all that valuable. I don't think we need better mobile phones or operating systems or video game consoles. I also don't really want a promotion. I'm already making a good salary. I don't want to rise in the company... I just want to be kind, be open, be me. To not cause harm. It's crazy how many slugs we get here, after a rain. And I think it's ridiculous how many of them get stepped on. Us "big important humans" don't have time to look where we're stepping, so they die. So I've been looking.

Therapy once a week, with a guy who's actually quite knowledgeable about Buddhism and also seems to have had a lot of personal experiences that are in line with mine, is like the only time I ever get to talk to someone who understands. Everywhere else I go, there's people wanting me to be passionate about my job, to wear makeup, to keep posting youtube videos, to join in to crazy/silly online discussions... And then there's me. Scared, vulnerable, dong everything she can to get away...anything to not have to stay.

I guess...I guess I'm mostly looking for some support. I think I'd like to replace the livejournal community I go to now, where we talk about TV shows and celebrities, with this one. Maybe that's a good step. I'd love to have a place to go to meet with people face to face..but I don't have a car so I can't be out at night safely, and that's when most temples seem to have events.

How do I do this? How do I have a full time job in a modern society without being all caught up in it? And am I taking things too far?

Thank you so much. Take care.

Cristina

Comments

• ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Very interesting post, thank you.

You don't have to run away and leave society behind... in fact, that would probably be very unhelpful. You seem to relate everything back to yourself. I find that thinking externally helps a great deal. Instead of focusing on how my lifestyle affects me, think about how it affects others. I see your ideal world has very little human interaction. Buddhism is very much about kindness and compassion. It's easy to be kind and compassionate in the comfort of your own home, but that wouldn't lead to happiness. Do the little things in the lifestyle you have rather than aim for an ideal lifestyle removed from pressures.

So yeah, I've fallen for the same traps, and relating my life to the life of others rather than my own was helpful for me. Every case is different though.
  • edited October 2010
    Oh, interesting thought!! Hmm, I guess my thoughts are that I am no good to others unless I have...transformed, in a way. I keep thinking that what I need is a really wise teacher to kick my butt into shape. I am very often presented with challenges that I almost think I'd have the courage to face...but I'm never quite convinced that "something really bad" won't happen if I do. :/

But yes...maybe I am being self absorbed. I've pretty much always been this way. Thinking this starts me off on the vicious cycle of self-hatred. :( And every time I get called out for being overly cynical about relationships because of how I behaved in my last relationship, I get so upset. Gosh I think...I think I have this idea about myself that I'm wise and good, but the fact is I'm not. I'm just as fallible as everybody else. I've always known that I make mistakes, but...I guess there are just some mistakes that I don't like to look at. That I don't like to think I could actually have made. Like being dependent on somebody. Like being dependent on somebody, getting hurt, and then overgeneralizing that all relationships must be delusional. Like being dependent on somebody, getting hurt, overgeneralizing that all relationships must be delusional, and then saying I'm done with relationships but secretly I an terrified of intimacy.

Those kinds of mistakes. I'm so glad I'm looking at this now. It's hard, and painful, but love means having the courage to look. This is totally off topic..I was just thinking... I am so humbled. :(
    edited October 2010
    Wow, you're very honest with yourself. The things is almost everyone has these things going on inside, but they don't admit it even to themselves. Yes, it can be very humbling to see what's going on in your own mind.

There's a story of the two arrows I heard from one of Gil Fronsdal's podcasts.. I don't remember exactly how it goes. Buddha asked a man if it hurts to be pierced with an arrow. The man replied "yes, of course". Buddha then asked "will it hurt more to be then pierced with another arrow?". The man replied "yes, that would be much more painful". Well the thing is that normally the second arrow is our own doing. Also, people don't stop at the second arrow. You have done something wrong (first arrow) and then all of the sudden you identify yourself as a bad person (second arrow). You start judging and hating yourself (third arrow)... then everything in your life starts to be based around more and more arrows. However if you just recognize that you did something foolish once and stop hurting yourself over it, you'd be much better off. There's no need to judge yourself or your thoughts, simply recognize they are there and move on.

Also, you need to recognize that the past is gone, you can't change it. You're living in the now, so there's no need to sabotage the now and the future because of the past.

Do you currently meditate?
  • edited October 2010
    I would say that I do meditate quite often, but I rarely do sitting meditation. I guess I just practice mindfulness in my daily life. I guess I'm not convinced that sitting meditation is all that worthwhile. Weird huh? Idk...I just use sitting meditation when I feel myself wound up and absolutely need a break and some space to let something unfold...and at home.

Yes, I've hear that arrow story too. It's a good one. :) It's such an amazing experience to be able to feel your feelings, especially the painful ones, not add to them, and see that they (reletively) quickly and fully pass. But very hard to do!
  • edited October 2010
    I would encourage you to do sitting meditation. I hear a lot of people interested in Buddhism say they typically practice mindfulness in daily life, but don't do sitting meditation.

Formal sitting meditation is what develops mindfulness. Everyone has mindfulness to some degree just like everyone has physical strength to some degree. However it is only those who go to the gym and lift weights regularly that see their physical strength increase over time. In the same way sitting meditation is the most direct and efficient way to increase mindfulness over time.

So, I encourage you to do it. Consider yourself encouraged ;)
    edited October 2010
    The state of mind during meditation is a very different one to just general mindfulness. Please read this article http://www.eubios.info/EJ141/ej141j.htm . The benefits of meditation have been proven very worthwhile. The article explores all the known benefits and I am sure there are many unknown benefits as well. Reading your first post makes it seem like your mind is just racing. As you know, meditation is great for calming the thoughts.

Anyway, I think you're on the right track. Good luck with everything.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Cristina wrote: »
    How do I do this? How do I have a full time job in a modern society without being all caught up in it?
    Cristina

You do this by making your full-time job in modern society part of your practice. Try to treat everyone with loving kindness, as if they were your kind mothers. Even when they aren't kind.

Practice mindfulness through the day, continually pulling your mind back to that.

Wherever you go, there you are. And wherever you are, there you practice.
  • edited October 2010
    Yeah...I try to do that. I feel like my entire life is part of the path, no matter what I'm doing. But at work like, they expect people to be driven and ambitious and love the products and want to advance in their careers. I don't think I can do those things and still keep it as part of the path, because they are incompatible. But if I don't do those things, I feel like I'm being insincere in my work. Like, the things I'm supposed to be doing at work to get ahead and advance and do well are all soul crushing. What do you think? Maybe there is a way to look at this that I'm not thinking of.

Right now I look at it like this. It's not what you do--it's how you do it. I can sit here and dream until kingdom come that I had a "better life" to practice Buddhism in, but this is my life here and now. I can make the most of it. I can go to work and be kind to people and to myself, I can put in good effort in the work that I do even though the work itself is unimportant to me. I can be mindful anywhere, (if I can be mindful anywhere! :D) It's really not the work or the job or having to go to work or anything like that...it's the career aspect of it that kind of gets me. And also even just caring about the work enough to really dive in there and learn about stuff that will make me a better engineer. I used to see these skills as like, money in the bank. And really interesting and fun. But now I see them as meaningless and certainly not "right effort." But I am also being paid to do these things so it would be like stealing I guess, to not put in my best effort. It's just...not so black and white. :/
    edited October 2010
    Do you have to want to advance your career to be good at what you do now? You have to find the balance between life and work. Some people think they're the same and chase promotions thinking they will have a better life. However, they're not separate either... there's nothing stopping you from enjoying your work. Try searching within yourself what it is exactly that makes you feel the way you do about work (without blaming anyone or anything else, it has to be within you).

Other than that, what can I say... work is work. You're being paid to do stuff people don't do for free. Find the root of the negative emotions you have towards it.

I used to do a bit of programming, so I'd guess your mind is very analytical, logical and rational. However these qualities played against me. Whenever I had negative emotions towards something, I'd always use logic to justify why I disliked things. I can rationalise just about anything. However, it's a hindrance... emotions and feelings aren't driven by logic. So it might not be that your work conflicts with 'right effort' or that you're bothered by the pressures, it could be something else.
  • edited October 2010
    hi cristina...

Dharma can be found fully integrated with your daily life... don't partition it... we need to be 100% of the time in dharma... Learn to integrate it.

But i agree with some of what u did... we need to change some chaotic habits that take away time, that influence our minds negatively into positive habits that help our practice... so it is VERY GOOD that you are goiing to the temples...

Study more dharma, reflect more on it and in order to able to absorb the dharma, one has to create some merit... so it is good to do some good works, recite sutras/mantras, prostrations etc. This is not just ritual, it has very powerful effect in increasing our merits and after you have created merit, your ability to understand the teachings, for the teachings to be heartfelt, your ability to implement the teachings in creative ways in your life and to really be mindful all the time of dharma will be greatly increased.

Hope this helps.
  • edited October 2010
    i think i can recommend you lama yeshe teachings on integrating life with dharma...

read at www.lamayeshe.com