Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why do you post?

RichardHRichardH Veteran
edited November 2010 in Philosophy
This question occurred to me as I passed through yet another cycle of love/hate with online Dharma, there have been too many to count, and it is a good opportunity to watch the mind.

There are a mix of reasons. For me as a self employed artist there is a lot of time in the studio that involves pacing, cleaning brushes, looking at the canvas, followed by short bursts of intense activity. There is alot of time to reflect. My Sangha support on the Theravadin side is practical, emotional, and social. on the Zen side it is structure and discipline with little talk. If the Zen people saw the stuff I go on about online, it would be embarrassing frankly.

So why post... it comes down to a few things.

- Having genuine experience and wanting to share.
- Feeling a certain responsibility for new people.
- The pure egocentric need to correct what I perceive as an error in someone else's understanding.
- A sense of connection with a geographically broad community.
- A sentimental attachment to familiar voices.
- Avoiding practice.

would anyone mind sharing why you post, the circumstances around posting?

Thankyou.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2010
    • It's my job.
    • This was the very first Buddhist Forum I joined after choosing this calling, and as such, I consider it to be my home-from-home primary sangha.
    • You're all the only friends I have.
  • edited October 2010
    fun
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Enjoyment from interacting with other people interested in Buddhist teachings.

It is also a fun distraction whilst doing research online and waiting for items to download.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I enjoy conversing with all of you, especially when points are brought to attention that challenges my view of the world.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Richard H wrote: »

why post...
    at the moment, now

- Having genuine experience and wanting to share.
    - Feeling a certain responsibility for new people.

but before
    - The pure egocentric need to correct what I perceive as an error in someone else's understanding.
  • edited October 2010
    I still get lonely.

My teacher said that lonliness is like a refreshing splash of winter wind or something like that.

But... I still get lonely! :) I'm a self-employed artist too. I spend all my time here at home. Except for Thurdays when I go to communal meditation... and that's not every Thursday either.

I have like 3 other forums where I post at. Sometimes other people's comments bother me but I've learned not to correct them. Aggression just leads to more aggression... it doesn't matter what form it comes out as. That's Tao. :p

So I just try to be nice and hopefully someone will be nice to me when I really need some help.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited October 2010
    federica wrote: »
    • It's my job.
    • This was the very first Buddhist Forum I joined after choosing this calling, and as such, I consider it to be my home-from-home primary sangha.

Loneliness plays a part for me. I have family and friends, sangha, but when alone all day in a room with a white square, there is loneliness. You are friends, it's a funny, casual, arms length affair, but the personalities come through, and it is a relationship of a kind. It is sangha. What a strange medium.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    A few reasons,

Some unwholesome:

- To hear the sound of my own voice
    - To try to convince others that I am right, they are wrong
    - To pass time/avoid practice

Some wholesome:

- To learn
    - To share what I have learnt
    - To try to drop wrong views and establish right views
    - To practice right speech, right intention, right mindfulness, and right effort
    - To encourage others to do the same

I like to think that most of the time my motivation is wholesome, but perhaps a second opinion could shed some light. What do you guys think?
    edited October 2010
    GuyC wrote: »
    I like to think that most of the time my motivation is wholesome, but perhaps a second opinion could shed some light. What do you guys think?

You seem like a pretty balanced guy, grounded in Dhamma, and trying to walk the walk.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Thanks Richard, I appreciate your input.
  • edited October 2010
    I don't know any buddhists in real life, and this is my place I go to talk buddhism. I feel like we're all walking a path that others don't even know exist, and it's nice to have fellow travelers to discuss things with.
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I abandoned myspace, facebook and tribe. Reading and posting here helps me to maintain beginners mind - I don't need all that much help in that deparment...Nevertheless, scanning inquiries and answers from beginning to advanced, interpreting moderators' tactics, and observing teachings being "known" indubitably or opined over is, well, entertaining and educational. Occasionally contributing a salient comment or observation is a fulfilling mode of expression about this philosophy, religion or practice that holds great meaning for me. At times the exchange can seem banal other times lively and informative - but as an alternative to "social networking" (anathema!) the notion of an online sangha (which is too weird for words, frankly) is a lifeline for dharma practicioners in a society/culture that assumes everyone is some sort of judeo-christian who celebrates easter and christmas and regards halloween as satanic and buddhists as godless idol worshippers. In the northern California Bay Area there is no shortage of sanghas to choose from - mine is Gelugpa Vajrayana. So I post here as part of my practice (and sometimes part of your practice) - for distraction - for connection - for information - for comfort - for joy in having found this forum - and sometimes because I simply can't drag my eyes away......
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2010
    - The challenge of explaining something
    - The challenge of listening
    - The challenge of not spinning out in anger pride jealousy etc
    - Hearing about things I wouldn't otherwise in my readings and sangha
    - People: helping, humor, familiarity
    - So that people will hear from me if what I say may be worth considering for them
    - I'm not ready to meditate on all my spare time and this is closer to the dharma than video games and drinking/brewing beer, my other hobbies :lol:
  • edited October 2010
    LATELY ITs been cathartic for me to post on here so i get some zen out of it.... it is interesting to spiut around the dharma with others.... the various reasons changew as the seasons do... and all things changing it becomes more than something that i need and less than something that i want or something like that..... i am primarily a writer and a reclusive one at that so i must come on here and communciate with people every once and awhile and get some "FEEDback" so you might call it and see how i am doing.... some sort of thing like that.... it is my only sangha.... i deeply respect most of you and all of you at some time or another and i am very grateful for having a community to discuss with and share in religious stupor or benefication or something like that..... to meditate with via the intellect. essentially.... the same reason why i poop. HAHA WHAT??? anyways yeah .... in terms of you richard much because similiar reasons.... the artist's life is very weird i might say for a zen practitioner.....and there is a lot of egotistical outletpourings through here but that's alright the sangha is supposed to capture thats...... avoiding practice too, definitely one of them. must sit more and sit more intensive, but sloth gets in the way and spreads its foot.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited October 2010
    -To make friends with other Buddhists.
    -Sometimes out of boredom.
    -To help others along the path as well as myself. I find that when I go and try to explain something to someone else, I also end up explaining it to myself which is quite helpful.
    -To learn new things from those that have done academic study as I have never really done that myself.
    -To be challenged in practicing right speech.
    -To hopefully get smacked down when I propose to know something that I actually don't.
  • edited October 2010
    I do it to share from time to time.

I belong to very similar online communities like this but for Classical Guitar, Ipod Touch fans, and Barefoot Running and I find it's a great way to connect with others of like interests and once I become learned in whatever the focus is I can then provide a bit of insight\advise to others just starting out.

I've done this as far back as 20 years ago when I was into aquariums and posted on news groups back when internet access was all via dialup and text based interfaces.

Since then my interests have matured along the lines of Buddhism, Classical Music and Health (hence the barefoot running)
  • TandaTanda Explorer
    edited October 2010
    I am a beginner, seeker, doubter, hungry ghost wanting to know more and more before I can settle for my own path. I post to seek answers. There is nobody in my place to ask.

I like this forum. People here are patient, sensitive and seem to be at a higher level than me. I am becoming less and less nervous to ask a question.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    seeker242 wrote: »
    -To help others along the path as well as myself. I find that when I go and try to explain something to someone else, I also end up explaining it to myself which is quite helpful.

Very true.
  • edited October 2010
    Tanda wrote: »
    I like this forum. People here are patient, sensitive and seem to be at a higher level than me. I am becoming less and less nervous to ask a question.

Thats a good thing. Only a few of us bite ;)
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Tanda wrote: »
    I am a beginner, seeker, doubter, hungry ghost wanting to know more and more before I can settle for my own path. I post to seek answers. There is nobody in my place to ask.

This is why I post.Maybe something I say can help people like Tanda.And I guess it also helps me to grow in my practice.
  • edited October 2010
    I generally only post if I feel I might have something to add to the general tenor of the conversation.
    That, and a feeling of communication and discourse (no matter how digitalized) with people of a like or similar nature. :):)

I think it's important to add that I read far more than I post. :D
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Just because :) [I like to pretend I'm irrational, yet I think that's not true.]

I like to pretend that I may have some tiny inkling of Boddhicitta.

I like the feel of interdependence here at the forum. Think of all those links and where they go!

Some of my most useful posts never get posted. I write the post, look at it, and realise that its not really of benefit to anyone so I click the back arrow and move on (there's no cancel button). That way I learn not to take myself too seriously.

Having said that, when I do post, its probably because I do take myself too seriously, or maybe more like- I do take myself too seriously.

Cheers, WK
  • ThaoThao Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I don't have a sangha, so I come to the Buddhist forums to post and interact with others.

Sometimes my posts are meaningless dripple; sometimes they are meant to teach others, but most of the time because I know so little, I come to post whatever comes out of my mind at the time.

And because I live in the Bible Belt and this is the only way I know how to get away from it.

And the only other way I know how to get away from it is to watch Jon Stewart and Bill Maher on TV.

And then there is meditation!!!
  • edited October 2010
    federica wrote: »
    federica, I'm sure I speak for many people here when I say: we love and appreciate you! :)
  • edited October 2010
    Sharing.

Mainly with the motivation of Bodhichitta.
  • edited October 2010
    I've been practicing Dharma for the past 7 years in the Tibetan tradition, specifically the Gelugpa school. I recently joined this online sangha -- it gives me a perspective of other traditions; I don't know anyone personally who isn't of the Tibetan one.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2010
    - to help others
    - to seek help from others
    - gain larger picture of diversity
    - practice
    - none of these

Have been trying to pull back from aggressive replies that equate to telling an individual their beliefs are wrong (wrong speech). Progress today, deleted an entire post that would have offended the person it was meant for and many others, prompted by the kind and compassionate post that another had added in the spirit of true selfless compassion. No hold-back from posting my opinions/views when not directed at someone or as part of a debate though (still pretty blunt, but only a standalone opinion that anyone may agree or disagree with as they desire).
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I post if I feel I have something to contribute to a thread.
    It might be to help someone looking for information or the experiences of others.

I also post sometimes because in the West, most dialog on Buddhism either omits Pure Land or misrepresents it, so I post to clarify at least the Jodo Shinshu perspective.
    edited November 2010
    Came by to clear out the locker (User CP). The question is... why post? There are good reasons and bad reasons, a really good one is to exchange ideas and learn, and another good one is companionship. A poor reason, in the Buddhist context, is posting for sake of opinion. Looking over my own posts it is clear that most is opinion of a kind that simply does not happen offline . Some of it may be helpful to others on occasion, but it is not helpful to practice. Being "wrong" feels bad if we are attached to it, but being "right" feels far worse if we are sensitive enough to see.

This internet forum has been a great clarifier of "right" and "wrong" and It has taken almost two years of ups and downs to process through this form of interaction. It has been well worth it.
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I can relate to what you say Richard about the difference between " offline and online Buddhism " - for want of a better way to encapsulate it ... my thought is that because the written word is easier to examine and you don't have the benefit and responsibility of being in the physical presence of others it means we allow ourselves to behave differently .... I still like the online form of interaction - for the chance to chat to people from all around the world who are interested in Buddhist teachings, as I have said before though I would love to have a big dinner party with my online friends - if you are ever in my part of the world let me know :)
  • HumbleHumble Explorer
    edited November 2010
    Occasionally some one asks a question that I know is answered by a particular sutta and it makes me feel like my mostly meaningless life is given some small meaning by posting the right sutta at the right time in order to answer a worthy question.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    True dat. We are the culmination of our thoughts and our interactions with the world; one well-spoken thought, one nod in the right direction, could make all the difference.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    - The challenge of explaining something
    - The challenge of listening
    - The challenge of not spinning out in anger pride jealousy etc
    - Hearing about things I wouldn't otherwise in my readings and sangha
    - People: helping, humor, familiarity
    - So that people will hear from me if what I say may be worth considering for them
    - I'm not ready to meditate on all my spare time and this is closer to the dharma than video games and drinking/brewing beer, my other hobbies :lol:
    Jeffrey, your answers come closest to mine. Although I am made very uncomfortable posting under the "Advanced Ideas" Banner, I have come to the conclusion that this thread is not going to be moved to a more pertinent section anytime soon.

What of my own I would add:

1) First, I'd have to add the pure joy of expression and interacting with others —in other words, just for the fun of it. I do not see this as unproductive time-wasting, but a building up of community, no matter how geographically dispersed we may be.

2) The challenge of trying to communicate my ideas more effectively. This is difficult because 99% of us are very poor listeners and hear the voices in our own heads and not the real thoughts that others express. It can therefore be hard to want to continue posting sometimes, for all of us. However, knowing that everybody is in the same boat in this regard certainly helps.

3) The challenge of opening myself up to humiliation (real humility) by voicing what I feel in the best way I know how, and then being attacked by people who would hold me accountable for every syllable as if I were intending to run on an unsullied record for public office. The second part of this is that sometimes people really are too hot under their collars (which fact I seem to forget about too often —before I speak.).

4) Lastly, but not least, the challenge of speaking out for the right of people to express their ideas freely, so long as they are not laced with falsehood or ill-will towards others. Sometimes, even here on NewBuddhist, people do attempt to silence others by ridicule or unfairly characterizing people's ideas or their loyalties. I, for one, will even allow myself to be made to look quite foolish in the defense of myself from even a small slander. That is because, in my opinion, calling people names is an attempt to abridge their speech by impugning their integrity. Even if someone is 100% deluded (and we're all deluded, to at least some degree), insisting on their incompetence to decide certain questions impedes their freedom of speech. I say let all speak for themselves and let us judge them on the context of their deeds and not their mere words.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Here here!