Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Where is this statue located?

edited October 2010 in General Banter
Can anyone tell me which city this buddha statue is located in? Thanks.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2010
    Somewhere in China, I would think. You know this is not the Buddha, don't you?
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Is this even a Buddhist statue? I thought such "lucky Buddha" things were more for superstition and good luck than anything else.

And yes, to the OP: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budai
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Correct - either Budai or Hotei, depending on what country the statue is located.

Mostly I see them in Chinese restaurants.
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited October 2010
    You know the statues of the buddha are not the buddha either, don't you?

Well, here is his story. He is called Budai. It is said, specially in China and Japan, that this image of a chubby monk is that of a real monk who lived and wandered through this world. It is told that he carried a bag full of things which he distributed to people. He was almost like a Buddhist Santa Claus. He had everything that anyone needed to remove their suffering. In a happy and jovial way he will simply provide this to people.
    In a more profound way, it is understood that he was not merely a human being. He was a manifestation of Maitreya. Maitreya is venerated throughout the Buddhist world as the future Buddha, the next in the line. He is waiting in heaven until the situation is right in this world for him to come and to start the teaching of Buddhism all over again.
  • edited October 2010
    federica wrote: »
    Somewhere in China, I would think. You know this is not the Buddha, don't you?

Yes i do. It is actually Budai. Anyone know where it is in China?