Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Need a robe - please help

edited October 2010 in Meditation
I am a "new Buddhist" (so to speak), and I once had access to translations of sutras, a place to sit, etc. Problem is, I was forced to move and to sell off almost all of my "extraneous" possessions.

I REALLY need a "meditation robe" or a "Zen robe". Wearing one has not only helped my focus in sitting, it is a silent reminder to those in my household that I am involved in practice when I am wearing it, and as such am not to be interrupted. Several people in the house have their own religious devotional practices, and we have places and times wherein we are accorded total privacy and freedom to do "our thing".

Anyway, I am a rather large man... also totally new to this forum. If there is anyone that can help me in this matter, please contact me through the forum.

"The one for whom there are no expectations, in this life or the hereafter, that one I call superior." - Siddhartha Gautama Buddha

Comments

• edited October 2010
    I was also interested in a robe for comfort when sitting (most of my clothes are not comfortable to sit in), but the prices I found where really high and because of my size at the time (I have shrunk since) I was concerned that I would spend a lot and it still would not fit.

For my meditation I just where over sized scrubs. They are light, loose and come in any color I wanted (I chose black).

They are comfortable and non binding. They are also very cheap and easy to sit in.

Hope this helps.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I wear a loose fitting t-shirt and loose fitting and oh so comfortable pajama pants (because I do not yet have a robe)

The cheapest way I could get one here is by finding out how to make one, then buying the fabric and making it myself. Other than that ordering online is the only way, and that gets expensive.
  • edited October 2010
    I just meditate in my underwear.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Thai fisherman pants are extremely comfortable for meditation - and cheap.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2vYfBCmHEWYyYoX5Q2Q5aE0DkA7TV5DEVlMQJZ-roWjrBV6E&t=1&usg=__A1gUaQ3xj7du-MQeXtEeE6wy-pc=
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2010
    If you believe you "need" external encouragement and stimulus to be in a meditative state, then this is an attachment to a prop which may actually impede your progress. remember Dumbo and his feather?
    ....the birds decide to help Dumbo in learning to fly. By using “psychology” and a feather stuck in Dumbo’s nose, they succeed. Dumbo is actually flying.
    Dumbo returns to the circus and is assigned the same show in which he has to jump from a tall building. This time, the mouse is getting ready to show the new flying talent of his friend, but somehow, they lose the magic feather that made Dumbo believe he can fly. They’re both in the air, falling down faster.

But suddenly, Dumbo realizes that his ability to fly doesn’t lie in the feather but in himself. He stops falling and begins to fly under his own power. The feather has no use.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Steve,

While what Fede says is true, I think you are adult enough to decide whether you "need" a meditation robe or not. But let me introduce you to Mr. Google! Just googling meditation clothes brought up a raft of sites, like this one: http://www.fourgates.com/category/clothing.html. Of course, you didn't say in what part of the world you're located, so I don't know if that place can help you or not, but you get the idea.

Palzang
  • edited October 2010
    I want to thank you all for your suggestions. My interest in obtaining a robe has nothing to do with attachment to a prop (although I do like the look lol). Again, it's a matter of "signals" for members of our household and for guests, neighbors and so on. Just a way to explain or demonstrate to those who deal in the "material world" out of necessity. What is happening is not a hobby nor a project that can be taken up and put down on a whim.

As for the suggestion to Google for what I seek, the problem is not FINDING the things I asked about. The problem is that I am disabled, unemployed and destitute of all of the things that aided me in my studies, including my books, robe, and even the physical space I used to sit in.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Many good ideas.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Aha, thanks for clearing that up. Do you have any family or might anyone in your household be able to help with obtaining what you need?

Palzang