Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Land of King Ashoka

ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
edited October 2005 in Buddhism Basics
In my Sec 1 History lessons I learnt about King Ashoka... I knew he was converted after he was horrified at the damage of war and did many Dhamma-spreading... But how was his kingdom like?

How did he deal with the criminals? And how does one keep a strong army, but yet the whole army is Buddhist-inclined? How was the political system, economical system and social model like?It's a shame that his kingdom had to go... But well, all things are impernament.

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Ajani,

I have a better idea.

Why don't you tell us of what you know about King Ashoka. Indian history isn't covered too much where I'm from - so it would be interesting to hear what you're learning.

-bf
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2005
    All,

If you are interested in learning more about King Asoka, here is an English translation of his edicts which were inscribed onto stone pillars scattered in more than thirty places throughout India, Nepal, Pakistan and Afghanistan:

The Edicts of King Asoka

:)

Jason
  • edited October 2005
    Let's say that a war never happend in India during Asoka era, and thus, he didn't felt the need to create a Buddhist empire in India. Is it possible that Buddhism wouldn't have spread out today around the world? I heard, the main reason why Buddhism is spread and known throughout other parts of the world is due to Asoka converting his kingdom and spreading Buddhism. Else, if he didn't felt the need to be Buddhist, India would be known for Hinduism only, and all other parts of the world would only know of Hinduism only?
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited October 2005
    From what I can still remember from the dusty regions of my brain...

He attacked some neighbour and was horrified as he saw the casualties... Then he converted to Buddhism, ordered the inscription of the Dhamma onto pillars throughout his land. He built pavillions for travellers to rest in the forests and ordered all animals to be treated nicely, he even built small "rest-places" where the wild animals could come for food if they failed in hunting.

He sent many missionaries all around, especially Asia, and was quite responsible for spreading the Dhamma to the Asia we know now. And that was about all I learnt, because it was part of a small chapter telling us of how the 3 largest religions in pre-colonial Southeast Asia came by, Buddhism, Hinduism and Islam.

After reading the text from the link you gave, Jason, I must say we rather had yet another biased version of King Ashoka... But he was still a great ruler... Ah...