Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

PBS' "The Buddha"

ZaylZayl Veteran
edited October 2010 in Arts & Writings
Has anyone else seen this documentary? If so, thoughts?

I just saw it last night while flicking through Netflix on my Xbox, and found myself pleasantly surprised. The story goes over the life of Siddhartha Gautama, From his birth until his death. Everything from his life of indulgence, His time as an Ascetic, and his eventual enlightenment under the Bodhi tree. It features interviews by a few monks and nuns, as well as the Dalai Lama (a quick aside, this is the first video I ever saw of the Dalai Lama, he seems quite a lively fellow!)

It also explores some of Gautama's travels across India, as well as some holy-sites such as his birthplace, the Bodhi tree, and the place where he finally shed this mortal coil.

Comments

• edited October 2010
    I saw it, and it inspired me to get out some books on Buddhism I had from school. At the time I read them, I was a doctrinal Christian picking up info. This time around one especially seemed to speak to questions I had. That's what brought me here.
  • edited October 2010
    Yes, I watched it on my xbox as well. I found it interesting. Mostly the same stuff I had read numerous times, but something about moving pictures makes it seem like a different experience.
  • still_learningstill_learning Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Interesting, I should watch it. I've passed it up many times on my xbox.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited October 2010
    We could all exchange our xbox live tags and sit in a party and watch it together, and discuss things at length :)
  • edited October 2010
    i like arrows turning into ( or actually always being ) flowers. I instantly thought about people saying hurtful stuff being in reality flowers to practice patience and thier worship of my virtue. pretty cool stuff.
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I watched it on PBS when it originally aired, and now i have my own copy. Nice to loan out to those expressing an interest the Buddha and Buddhism.
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Really a well done program. Content is very thorough and graphics are superb. Yes, HHDL is a lively, humorous dude. I am attending his teaching appearance in San Jose tomorrow. Third time this year (Berkeley & Long Beach previously). This teaching will be upon the eight verses for transforming the mind. If I can't get to Dharmsala this is the next best thing....
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Really a well done program. Content is very thorough and graphics are superb. Yes, HHDL is a lively, humorous dude. I am attending his teaching appearance in San Jose tomorrow. Third time this year (Berkeley & Long Beach previously). This teaching will be upon the eight verses for transforming the mind. If I can't get to Dharmsala this is the next best thing....

Ah! you're very lucky then, I hope you enjoy his teaching.