Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Has anyone ever heard of Sawan Singh Nisargadatta Maharaj

edited October 2010 in Faith & Religion
are any of these gurus associated with cults

Comments

• pineblossompineblossom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    bill wrote: »

'The seeker must disappear'.

Sounds very Buddhist but a closer examination will reveal that there is no real motivating factor other than feeding the ego.

As in many such cults the focus is not on some overall 'good' - some social or moral imperative. The focus is pure individualism.
  • edited October 2010
    besides personal opinion does anyone have proof these 2 gurus are frauds or associated with cults,
    thanks in advance
  • edited October 2010

why do you ask?
  • edited October 2010
    its a long story............... lets just leave it at that
  • edited October 2010
    its a long story............... lets just leave it at that

OK
  • edited October 2010
    sorry to sound like a broken record but does anyone know the answers
  • qohelethqoheleth Explorer
    edited October 2010
    Hi Bill,

I do not know the first name you mention, but Nisargadatta Maharaj was not a cult leader (he is no longer alive). If any cult has formed around his name, I would be surprised, and would essentially stay away, because he ultimately taught that a good guru will teach his disciple to seek the true guru (or sadguru) who is within oneself. I know that Jack Kornfield studied with N.M. in India. In my opinion, many of his teachings align quite seamlessly with Buddhist teachings (particularly Zen) and I highly recommend him! He certainly doesn't teach some kind of exalted individualism. He ultimately teaches people to disidentify with their egos (which are not real anyway) through a deep process of introspection and questioning (jnana yoga), to recognize what about the self is limited, temporal and therefore ultimately unreal, and to discover one's true nature as timeless awareness.