Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New to the site, few questions

Derek3731Derek3731 New
edited October 2010 in General Banter
I have only recently turned to buddhism after reading Paramahansa Yogananda's collections of writings and speeches. I seem to crave a deeper meaning to life and have been searching for a while now. I have trouble finishing school because i dont see a purpose other than money, and money is not neccessarily what i am after. I live in America and i have looked into moving extensively thinking maybe a more traditional or more friendly culture would solve all of my problems. America seems so isolated, unfriendly, unhealthy, there is a lack of direction, and very superficial. I realized one day that i would most likely would not be leaving the problems, just the place.
Also, being new to Buddhism, i am not accustomed to believing in god, praying etc. I have sadly always looked down upon people who preach and lay their problems in god's hands. However, i am trying to grasp the idea that there is a God out there. Well thats just some background, here are a few questions i have.

Have you reached the "blissful" state of mediation and how long did it take, what do you feel as an experienced meditator?
What are some good ways to learn more about Buddhism?
I am white and feel out of place practicing Buddhism, im also not a pot smoking hippie.
Is America an unhappy place or is it unhappiness within myself?
Thanks.

Comments

• pineblossompineblossom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Derek3731 wrote: »
    I have only recently turned to buddhism after reading Paramahansa Yogananda's collections of writings and speeches. I seem to crave a deeper meaning to life and have been searching for a while now. I have trouble finishing school because i dont see a purpose other than money, and money is not neccessarily what i am after. I live in America and i have looked into moving extensively thinking maybe a more traditional or more friendly culture would solve all of my problems. America seems so isolated, unfriendly, unhealthy, there is a lack of direction, and very superficial. I realized one day that i would most likely would not be leaving the problems, just the place.

While you motivation is selfish at the moment it is a start.
    Also, being new to Buddhism, i am not accustomed to believing in god, praying etc. I have sadly always looked down upon people who preach and lay their problems in god's hands. However, i am trying to grasp the idea that there is a God out there. Well thats just some background, here are a few questions i have.

Seeking a 'saviour' is little more than wishing some cosmic superman would intervene in samsara. Many find this escape root appealing but hardly satisfying.
    Have you reached the "blissful" state of mediation and how long did it take, what do you feel as an experienced meditator?

I would balk at being labelled an 'experienced' anything.

Meditation is a vehicle to carry you over something - our misconceptions. Meditation is not an end in itself.

There is any amount of material on the web. Much depends on which tradition you wish to follow.
    I am white and feel out of place practicing Buddhism, im also not a pot smoking hippie.

As you live in the US perhaps a visit to a local Buddhist Centre would be more than appropriate. You will learn that it is probably frequented by many people who are predominately 'white', who do not smoke dope, and who also feel out of place in their own culture.
    Thanks.

The US, as is Australia, as is a Dharma Centre, is part of samsara. Samsara is a place of suffering. If you wish to escape suffering you need to follow the Eight Fold Path.
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited October 2010

Hi Derek3731, welcome !!

I'm not either ... I am white, not a pot smoking hippie - I mean.. lol.

Agree with pineblossum's suggestions, especially in relation to getting offline experience - visiting different Buddhist groups to see which you find welcoming and can relate to the teachings and people there in ways that are meaningful for you - online information about the different traditions can be found and asking questions online can help to clarify, though remember mostly online it is personal opinions :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2010
    I have only recently turned to buddhism after reading Paramahansa Yogananda's collections of writings and speeches. I seem to crave a deeper meaning to life and have been searching for a while now.

If you cannot find peace, fulfilment and serenity where you are, right Now, then where else do you expect to fond it? Start where you are.
    I have trouble finishing school because i dont see a purpose other than money, and money is not neccessarily what i am after.
    This is a foolish notion. You'll find in practically every society that exists, that some form of finacial stability isd essential.
    It's not what you have, it's how you channel it and what you do with it.
    I live in America and i have looked into moving extensively thinking maybe a more traditional or more friendly culture would solve all of my problems.
    This is not known as 'coming home', it's known as 'running away'. The best way to find this 'more traditional and friendly culture' is to start building your own. A good foundation for this building is to watch how your Mind is working.
    America seems so isolated, unfriendly, unhealthy, there is a lack of direction, and very superficial. I realized one day that i would most likely would not be leaving the problems, just the place.
    Now we're getting somewhere....! :D
    Also, being new to Buddhism, i am not accustomed to believing in god, praying etc.
    Right.....? Point being?
    I have sadly always looked down upon people who preach and lay their problems in god's hands.
    The more you place yourself in a position of 'looking down' on people, the harder the fall when you realise they are actually no different to you. Looking for something.
    It's like you look in the closet, but they're looking in the kitchen.
    What are you both looking for? And why?
    However, i am trying to grasp the idea that there is a God out there

Why?
    Buddhists have different takes on this, but personally, why try to grasp something that there is no point pondering on?
    I'm sorry, I just had to laugh here.
    I think you have some pretty odd ideas about what Buddhists do, and why.....
    Take some time to have a look at this website....
    :lol::lol:
    Unfortunately this is a pre-requisite and legal requirement, and we cannot accept applicants who cannot comply....:lol::lol:

I'd love to know where you get these notions from....!
    Thanks.
    No, the people are unhappy, and yes, it's down to you. :)