Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Reincarnation/Rebirth question

edited October 2010 in Buddhism Today
If there is no self (Anicca) then who is reborn after death of this body?

Comments

• FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited October 2010
    You are starting off with a misconception. Self exists ... it's just not what we think it is. "Who" exists ... it's just not what we think it is.

And don't worry about it. The longer you move down this road, the more it will make sense. And it will make sense in the only way that actually makes any sense ... from direct observation and experience.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2010
    Ruppah wrote: »

If you're interested, you can read my thoughts about not-self and rebirth here and here.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Dependent Origination explains how rebirth occurs without a self. You could say it is the "Middle Way", if you like, between eternalism and annihilationism.
  • edited October 2010
    There's no independent self. There is a subtle consciousness that depends on Karma. That's what does the moving on, or so I've read.
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I have just been reading a book that makes a good point. It is talking about mental factors and specifically about faith, scepticism and testing the word of Buddha.

The gist is like this:
    There are many aspects within Buddhism that we can test to see if they are true or not. There are some aspects that are beyond our understanding. By testing those elements which we can, and finding them true, we develop faith that those that are beyond our understanding are also true and that one day we may understand them directly.

This would be defined as critical faith, as it is underpinned by personal validation.

This is where I find karma and rebirth fall into the spectrum of Buddhist theory.

Cheers, WK
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited October 2010

With the true realisation of no self (Anatta), this question becomes irrelevant.
  • edited October 2010
    Let go of discursive thoughts about past and future.

Speculation about rebirth is irrelevant to one's practice in the here and now.

• edited October 2010
    wow you guys are amazing.
    you replied so fast.
    Firstly sorry for the mistake of calling selflessness "Anicca" and thank you for correcting me as it is Anatta.
    Yes I see now that in time all will be revealed and that this is beyond my understanding. My mind was just curious about this, the thought arose every now and then for a few months and now I found these forums and so I thought I'd ask.
    I read a passage from this book "Eight mindful steps to happiness" by Bhante Gunaratana. He talks about how although there is no self, we create a "backpack" through our actions and thoughts etc. which provides the momentum for rebirth and is carried on.

Thanks guys.
  • edited October 2010
    GuyC wrote: »
    Dependent Origination explains how rebirth occurs without a self. You could say it is the "Middle Way", if you like, between eternalism and annihilationism.

http://www.buddhanet.net/funbud12.htm

great article I just found that was of use to me.
  • edited October 2010
    TheJourney wrote: »
    http://www.buddhanet.net/funbud12.htm

great article I just found that was of use to me.

Thanks man. That article really helped me understand.
  • edited October 2010
    Regarding Dependent Origination, I recommend a booklet at Buddhanet by P. A. Payutto called "The Buddhist Law of Conditionality".

Of particular interest for me was this part of section 5... "An example of Dependent Origination in everyday life. "

http://www.buddhanet.net/cmdsg/coarise5.htm

• edited October 2010
    Ruppah wrote: »

The mind stream of yours continue to flow throw lifetimes.
    beginning-less and endless.
  • edited October 2010
    mantra0 wrote: »
    The mind stream of yours continue to flow throw lifetimes.
    beginning-less and endless.

so the mind stream is self?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2010
    The body decomposes after death. Many parts of it are devoured by plant, insect and animal life, allowing them to survive and to grow. Other parts remain a part of the earth beneath our feet. Where then have you gone? You were never contained merely within the body to begin with -- as you see you are now a part of many other things, in separate places in this world. What had come together to form you were plant and animal life and material from your parents -- those too all from different places, converging to create a changing mass of aggregates. That change began to think of itself as something new, something created and independent. Nothing was further from the truth...

We are not something new that comes to be and then is gone. We are the result of conditions, of change, forming new temporary phenomena (these bodies... these aggregates), which will fade and become the basis for new phenomena. This is our rebirth, and it is selfless as with all things.
  • edited October 2010
    More posts to ridicule.

Buddhism creates individuals. People who cannot be influenced or manipulated outside there own worldview or "universe".

By remaining neutral in your actions and minds, your intentions (your true intentions regardless of what you think or beleive.) come out. They will come out in subtle ways. You will see them without seeing them.

Rebirth is a manifestation or your will to survive kicking in after your dead.

As you very well know, someones intentions/influence can remain in the world even after they are dead, yes? Of course they are, this is an unfalsifiable statement and I challenge they greatest intention-manifestors in this exsistence to demolish or falisify this statement.

Who's to say their will of survival goes with their death? Hmm?

No. Sir. > No. One. Ever. Dies.

Rebirth in this point-of-view does not exsist, because, within reason and reality - no one ever dies.

You will not be aware of your rebirth until you re-self-actualize in your new self, so to speak.

It is a paradox, Cloud explains it well.

It is like being without being. Dieing without dieing and living without living.

The individual is everything as everything is the individual.

I do not digest that independance is not possible.

It is both attached and independant. It is also neither and both.

I can be independant, attached, neutral, defensive and agrresive in my behaviors all at the same time or none at the same time.
  • edited October 2010
    ^liked that post
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Cloud wrote: »
    The body decomposes after death. Many parts of it are devoured by plant, insect and animal life, allowing them to survive and to grow. Other parts remain a part of the earth beneath our feet. Where then have you gone? You were never contained merely within the body to begin with -- as you see you are now a part of many other things, in separate places in this world. What had come together to form you were plant and animal life and material from your parents -- those too all from different places, converging to create a changing mass of aggregates. That change began to think of itself as something new, something created and independent. Nothing was further from the truth...

We are not something new that comes to be and then is gone. We are the result of conditions, of change, forming new temporary phenomena (these bodies... these aggregates), which will fade and become the basis for new phenomena. This is our rebirth, and it is selfless as with all things.

The twelve links are specifically based on mental phenomenon; they do not specifically refer to physical interactions. While what you said is not wrong in a physical respect, if this is the entire story, then this is nihilistic from a mental point of view. You seem to be denying the existence of the mind, or postulating that it is a purely physical phenomenon, or as more commonly done in today’s society, pretending it doesn’t exist.

Buddhism is about the mind.

To reduce it to brain activity is to allow it to lose most of its effectiveness. The concept of subjective experience is vital and most of the Buddhist teachings are based on a subjective foundation. When you allow for the possibility of subjective analysis, this then opens the mind to the possibility of the mind coexisting with physical phenomenon, which then allows for the possibility of rebirth due to the two parallel paths of causation of mind and matter/energy.

The killer of rebirth is objectivity, it is impossible to allow for from a purely objective (black box) perspective. That's why Westerners have trouble with rebirth, because of our cultural heritage that has eliminated the usefulness of subjectivity in the early days of modern philosophy. Anyone that does a bit of reading of philosophy, particularly in relation to realism will find out that the objective view that is taken as dogma (scientific realism) these days is not founded in science but founded in belief. We are fed this information through our media and schools by those who do not understand the philosophical implications of what they promote. A good magazine that talked about these sorts of issues is Scientific American: Mind. Choosing Reality by B A Wallace is another though it’s a bit harder to understand.

Of course this is just my take,

Cheers, WK