Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Being in the moment?

edited March 2007 in Buddhism Basics

I get caught up in dopey stuff sometimes but here is another beginners question!

How can you ever really "be in the moment" by the time you realise your in it, the moments over, isnt it?

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2005
    At the level of our senses, we perceive at many removes.The nearest thing to immediate perception is the Stimulus-Reflex arc, functioning below cortical level. Even then, the stimulating sensation will only be perceived consciously after the response has been initiated.

Thus, Grainne, you are right: being 'in the moment' is not an available function of the conscious mind in normal mode. Aldous Huxley (and others of less intellectual worth) maintained that certain psychoactive substances, such as mescalin and LSD, reduce the temporal and perceptive 'distance'.

It is, in my experience, one of the results of meditation that awareness of this moment rather than that one just gone arises. It appear natural, a sort of 'default' position, which became distorted by the process of living. In Transactional Analysis, we speak of "life scripts" which we 'write' and then play out. These are usually more or less complete by the time we are a few years old (possibly even months). I think that they are more like "life spectacles" through which we see the world.

The practice of mindfulness is exactly this: take off the spectacles, unhook the hearing aid, expel the anaesthetic and be here, now as fully as possible. The more I do it, the more I can do it: a bit like any other skill.

Does that help?
  • kinleekinlee Veteran
    edited October 2005
    This is awesome.
    At the level of our senses, we perceive at many removes.The nearest thing to immediate perception is the Stimulus-Reflex arc, functioning below cortical level. Even then, the stimulating sensation will only be perceived consciously after the response has been initiated.

Thus, Grainne, you are right: being 'in the moment' is not an available function of the conscious mind in normal mode. Aldous Huxley (and others of less intellectual worth) maintained that certain psychoactive substances, such as mescalin and LSD, reduce the temporal and perceptive 'distance'.

It is, in my experience, one of the results of meditation that awareness of this moment rather than that one just gone arises. It appear natural, a sort of 'default' position, which became distorted by the process of living. In Transactional Analysis, we speak of "life scripts" which we 'write' and then play out. These are usually more or less complete by the time we are a few years old (possibly even months). I think that they are more like "life spectacles" through which we see the world.

The practice of mindfulness is exactly this: take off the spectacles, unhook the hearing aid, expel the anaesthetic and be here, now as fully as possible. The more I do it, the more I can do it: a bit like any other skill.

Does that help?
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited October 2005
    kinlee wrote:
    This is awesome.

I've always said that Simon uses his tongue pertier than a $20 hooker!

I kin just imagin all them perty word rollin' off a his tongue while he's sittin' in some big ole fancy English chair suckin' on some big ole fancy pipe talkin' like a big ole fancy English guy.

-bf
  • edited January 2007
    grainne wrote:

I get caught up in dopey stuff sometimes but here is another beginners question!

How can you ever really "be in the moment" by the time you realise your in it, the moments over, isnt it?
    Not a dopey question at all. Very intelligent and thought-provoking. I think that we can't HELP but be in the moment all the time. Problem is - Our mind is almost always either focused on the non-existant "future" or trapped in some long-dead "past". Hope this offers some light!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2007
    You are in the moment when you're not aware that you're in the moment.

Palzang
  • edited January 2007
    Yes, we have all experined that, but I do not think we are aware of it. We think it is something mystical and only a few can attain. But we already have that ability. Children are wonderful to be around for this reason.
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited January 2007
    What Palzang said. There is no way to be 'not in the moment'. That's simply impossible. I think maybe we are more talking how to uproot mental proliferation & division so that our mind is unified.

metta
    _/\_
  • edited January 2007
    Everything flows. Perhaps we're in the moment when we're accepting, not wanting the next moment to contain something we don't have at the moment (or to contain the same as the present one, for that matter), just being with what's in this moment.

Martin.
  • edited March 2007
    grainne wrote:

Investigate! :thumbsup:

The nature of the present moment is that it is passing,
    seeing the emptiness, the selflessness of the present moment
    - we do not fall into aversion and grasping.

Be aware of the three characteristics of phenomena in cyclic existence -
    impermanent - in the nature of suffering - their selflessness.

So when we say this present moment is all there is
    what we are saying is
    - look deeply right now - don't get sidetracked by stories about the present moment - look deeply right now : what is the nature of what is in front of us?

When we look deeply , we realize that happiness does not depend on grasping at these things, nor on aversion - on pushing away these things - nor on just ignoring, so when we look deeply into the present moment what also happens is we free ourselves from the things that prevent us from being in the present moment

keep checking up, keep looking

:bigclap: