Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism + ghosts...

edited October 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Sorry guys, I'm always asking questions. My google search obviously needs improvement :p

I was in the bath this evening + was thinking of Buddhism + its theories + I started hearing the same noises I here whenever i am in the house alone. Now I don't really believe in ghosts but these noises are just like footsteps, + there is never an explanation for them. I don't maintain they are ghosts but I never know any logical explanation for them either. So i just got to thinking do Buddhists believe in all that seeing as its believed in the re-incarnation theory? If so how? I'm guessing not? + I have read a little about the "hungry" ghost but that's not really the same thing is it.

thanks guys, you'll start to love me + my annoying threads soon :lol: :rolleyes:

Comments

• ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Buddhism doesn't deal with ghosts. It deals with the path to enlightenment. You are free to have whatever beliefs you wish when it comes to the supernatural. That's my understanding.
  • edited October 2010
    If the noises are in the kitchen, then definitely hungry ghosts. :lol: Just kidding....
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2010
    est4elvis wrote: »
    Sorry guys, I'm always asking questions. My google search obviously needs improvement :p
    I wouldn't bet on it.... My skills are nondescript....!
    I was in the bath this evening + was thinking of Buddhism + its theories + I started hearing the same noises I here whenever i am in the house alone. Now I don't really believe in ghosts but these noises are just like footsteps, + there is never an explanation for them. I don't maintain they are ghosts but I never know any logical explanation for them either.
    Sometimes, that's where such things belong. in the "I don't know" file.
    I have a relatively tiny thin file, titled "This I know for sure..." Then a whacking huge massive file titled "Things I haven't a clue about". It's massive. If my brain was the Bodlean library, that's what virtually every book would be called....
    Sometimes - unless it's harmful, or disturbs us in a negative way - it's best to just observe and accept.....
    So i just got to thinking do Buddhists believe in all that seeing as its believed in the re-incarnation theory?
    Before I decide to embark on a huge diatribe on reincarnation/rebirth - what do you understand of reincarnation/rebirth? Let's start from what "you know" or have taken in, and move on from there....Remember - we don't ascribe to a transmigrating soul, or anything tangible moving on from 'one life' to 'another'...
    If so how? I'm guessing not? + I have read a little about the "hungry" ghost but that's not really the same thing is it.

Eerrrrr...... No.
    thanks guys, you'll start to love me + my annoying threads soon

Is that a promise? :D
  • edited October 2010
    Buddhism doesn't deal with ghosts. It deals with the path to enlightenment. You are free to have whatever beliefs you wish when it comes to the supernatural. That's my understanding.

hmm I think this is something I need to remember + get my head round; advised inspiration rather than forced teaching. + I actually read that last night :rolleyes:
  • edited October 2010
    sukhita wrote: »
    If the noises are in the kitchen, then definitely hungry ghosts. :lol: Just kidding....

:lol::lol::lol:
  • edited October 2010
    federica wrote: »
    I wouldn't bet on it.... My skills are nondescript....!

Sometimes, that's where such things belong. in the "I don't know" file.
    I have a relatively tiny thin file, titled "This I know for sure..." Then a whacking huge massive file titled "Things I haven't a clue about". It's massive. If my brain was the Bodlean library, that's what virtually every book would be called....
    Sometimes - unless it's harmful, or disturbs us in a negative way - it's best to just observe and accept.....

Before I decide to embark on a huge diatribe on reincarnation/rebirth - what do you understand of reincarnation/rebirth? Let's start from what "you know" or have taken in, and move on from there....Remember - we don't ascribe to a transmigrating soul, or anything tangible moving on from 'one life' to 'another'...

Eerrrrr...... No.

Is that a promise? :D

I like this post a lot :lol::D

then again, it is about remembering advised inspiration rather than forced teaching..

Maybe not promise then..... :lol::lol:
  • ChrysalidChrysalid Veteran
    edited October 2010
    If you had died and were a wandering spirit. Would you;

a) visit your loved ones, watch your kids grow up and get married, maybe comfort them with the knowledge that there is life after death;

or

b) wait until elvis has a bath and walk up and down the stairs to freak him out?
  • edited October 2010
    :lol::lol: if I died + i had the opportunity to walk around whilst Elvis was in the bath believe me, there'd be no contest, though I'm not sure it would be to freak him out :lol::lol::lol::lol: ahhahahaha so need to work on that lust part eh..... :lol::lol::lol:

but, I hope it is my stepdad.... :) but i dont think it is. :lol:
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited October 2010
    b) wait until elvis has a bath and walk up and down the stairs to freak him out?
    If there is nothing else to do but to haunt the living I'd probably just freak everybody out, including elvis and my family.
  • edited October 2010
    Isn't there supposed to be a ghost realm? In buddhism. Could be wrong.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    From what I have heard from paranormal researchers it seems as though ghosts tend to like to hang out in the same places they hung out while they were human beings. If you do have a ghost, it is possibly someone who used to live in that house. How old is the house?
    edited October 2010
    TheJourney wrote: »
    Isn't there supposed to be a ghost realm? In buddhism. Could be wrong.

That's a part of Buddhist cosmology. Buddha didn't teach it. It was collected from a variety of Buddhist sources and is mostly a product of cultural beliefs. If you wanted to collect 'An American View on Cosmology' you could find and collate all things about cosmology written by Americans and then they that is an American teaching. It's a silly example, but that's how it is with Buddhist cosmology. I have a feeling most Buddhists would disagree with me on this and I am new though.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    That's a part of Buddhist cosmology. Buddha didn't teach it. It was collected from a variety of Buddhist sources and is mostly a product of cultural beliefs.

Source?
    edited October 2010
    What happened to the good old days when you could just make stuff up and nobody would question it?

Well here's my reasoning... I just watched the PBS documentary mentioned in one of the other threads and they say when Buddha was asked why he didn't provide the answer as to what happens when we die he said it's because he never aimed to answer that question. He just didn't see it as an aspect of the practice. However obviously there are some sutras which have little pieces here and there. I share the same perspective as described at the bottom... basically it's a matter of interpretation (literal vs. symbolic). I try not to take everything literally... unless I can experience something directly, it's logically self-evident or it has been scientifically proven, I can't internalise it as fact. I set these things aside, but I can see how they can be helpful models for understanding. That's all cosmology and reincarnation is - simplified models.
    Do you Buddhists believe in rebirth as an animal in the next life? Are you going to be a dog or a cow in the future? Does the soul transmigrate into the body of another person or some animal? What is the difference between transmigration and reincarnation? Is it the same as rebirth? Is karma the same as fate? These and a hundred similar questions are often put to me.
    A gross misunderstanding of about Buddhism exists today, especially in the notion of reincarnation. The common misunderstanding is that a person has led countless previous lives, usually as an animal, but somehow in this life he is born as a human being and in the next life he will be reborn as an animal, depending on the kind of life he has lived.
    This misunderstanding arises because people usually do not know-how to read the sutras or sacred writings. It is said that the Buddha left 84,000 teachings; the symbolic figure represents the diverse backgrounds characteristics, tastes, etc. of the people. The Buddha taught according to the mental and spiritual capacity of each individual. For the simple village folks living during the time of the Buddha, the doctrine of reincarnation was a powerful moral lesson. Fear of birth into the animal world must have frightened many people from acting like animals in this life. If we take this teaching literally today we are confused because we cannot understand it rationally.
    Herein lies our problem. A parable, when taken literally, does not make sense to the modern mind. Therefore we must learn to differentiate the parables and myths from actuality. However, if we learn to go beyond or transcend the parables and myths, we will be able to understand the truth.
    People will say "If such is the case why not speak directly so that we will be able to come to an immediate grasp of the truth?" This statement is understandable, but truth is often inexpressible. [Ed comment: we as human beings are limited in understanding "Buddha Knowledge". We cannot speak TRUTH, only words ABOUT Truth] Thus, writers and teachers have often resorted to the language of the imagination to lead the reader from a lower to a higher truth. The doctrine of reincarnation is often understood in this light.
    What Reincarnation is Not
    Reincarnation is not a simple physical birth of a person; for instance, John being reborn as a cat in the next life. In this case John possesses an immortal soul which transforms to the form of a cat after his death. This cycle is repeated over and over again. Or if he is lucky, he will be reborn as a human being. This notion of the transmigration of the soul definitely does not exist in Buddhism.
    Karma is a Sanskrit word from the root "Kri" to do or to make and simply means "action." It operates in the universe as the continuous chain reaction of cause and effect. It is not only confined to causation in the physical sense but also it has moral implications. "A good cause, a good effect; a bad cause a bad effect" is a common saying. In this sense karma is a moral law.
    Now human beings are constantly giving off physical and spiritual forces in all directions. In physics we learn that no energy is ever lost; only that it changes form. This is the common law of conservation of energy. Similarly, spiritual and mental action is never lost. It is transformed. Thus Karma is the law of the conservation of moral energy.
    By actions, thoughts, and words, man is releasing spiritual energy to the universe and he is in turn affected by influences coming in his direction. Man is therefore the sender and receiver of all these influences. The entire circumstances surrounding him is his karma.
    With each action-influence he sends out and at the same time, receives, he is changing. This changing personality and the world he lives in, constitute the totality of his karma.
    Karma should not be confused with fate. Fate is the notion that man's life is preplanned for him by some external power, and he has no control over his destiny. Karma on the other hand, can be changed. Because man is a conscious being he can be aware of his karma and thus strive to change the course of events. In the Dhammapada we find the following words, "All that we are is a result of what we have thought, it is founded on our thoughts and made up of our thoughts."
    What we are, then, is entirely dependent on what we think. Therefore, the nobility of man's character is dependent on his"good" thoughts, actions, and words. At the same time, if he embraces degrading thoughts, those thoughts invariably influence him into negative words and actions.
    The World
    Traditionally, Buddhism teaches the existence of the ten realms of being. At the top is Buddha and the scale descends as follows: Bodhisattva (an enlightened being destined to be a Buddha, but purposely remaining on earth to teach others), Pratyeka Buddha (a Buddha for himself), Sravka (direct disciple of Buddha), heavenly beings (superhuman [angels?]), human beings, Asura (fighting spirits), beasts, Preta (hungry ghosts), and depraved men (hellish beings).
    Now, these ten realms may be viewed as unfixed, nonobjective worlds, as mental and spiritual states of mind. These states of mind are created by men's thoughts, actions, and words. In other words, psychological states. These ten realms are "mutually immanent and mutually inclusive, each one having in it the remaining nine realms." For example, the realm of human beings has all the other nine states (from hell to Buddhahood). Man is at the same time capable of real selfishness, creating his own hell, or is truly compassionate, reflecting the compassion of Amida Buddha. Buddhas too have the other nine realms in their minds, for how can a Buddha possibly save those in hell if he himself does not identify with their suffering and guide them to enlightenment.
    The Lesson
    We can learn a valuable lesson from the teaching of reincarnation.
    In what realm do you now live? If you are hungry for power, love, and self-recognition, you live in the Preta world, or hungry ghosts. If you are motivated only by thirsts of the human organism, you are existing in the world of the beast.
    Consider well then your motives and intentions. Remember that man is characteristically placed at the midpoint of the ten stages; he can either lower himself abruptly or gradually into hell or through discipline, cultivation and the awakening of faith rise to the Enlightened state of the Buddha.
    http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/reincarnation.htm
  • edited October 2010
    Oooh I'm so terrified of being a ghost :eek: that I can't even joke about sneaking up on Elvis.
    That's a part of Buddhist cosmology. Buddha didn't teach it. It was collected from a variety of Buddhist sources and is mostly a product of cultural beliefs..

The few books I’ve read about the history of Buddhism and the compilation of the Tripitaka have shown me that almost all of the teachings were collected from a variety of Buddhist sources with many cultural beliefs. It was a couple hundred years before all of this was written down, then it went through different translations so the intact versions are different, so unless we are to start sounding like fundamentalists, it’s pointless to argue about what teachings in the Tripitaka are actually words of the Buddha and which ones are from a variety of sources and products of culture. The majority of Buddhist scriptures are not words of the Buddha- most don’t even claim to be, including the entire third of the Tripitaka. So can we cherry pick like that and say that because there is not a definitive text that has the words coming right out of the Buddha’s mouth then it doesn’t count as Buddhism but rather as a cultural byproduct?

But even if we were to start thinking that way, I'm pretty sure that the Buddha himself taught about various rebirths in the sense-sphere realm which includes humans, animals and devas but also includes realms of misery that include ghosts and demons and hell. Also there is the “wheel of becoming” which includes the hungry ghost realm- and the bhavachakra is one of the most recognizable images associated with Tibetan Buddhism anyway. There’s also the stories about how to become a hungry ghost called the peta stories in the Tripitaka and culturally there are all sorts of hungry ghost festivals and ghost exorcisms- some of these are major holidays around the world so ignoring ghosts in Buddhism for most of the world would be like saying Easter isn’t in Christianity. Or saying that Christians do NOT believe in god or heaven simply because there are some who interpret it metaphorically.

For me, yes I usually believe in ghosts and I admit it. Gives me the creeps though. :eek: But really my strategy is just to accept they are there and go on about my life. Investigating them (especially in my house alone) just seems like a sure fire way to have a panic attack. Maybe I'm just nuts though. :crazy:
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Do you have a source in the Suttas where the Buddha specifically states he didn't teach about the various realms of Samsara, including pretas/ghosts?
    edited October 2010
    Trust me, I am well aware that very few Buddhists would see it the way I do, so I am not expecting anyone to. Hell, other Buddhist forums actually ban people for questioning reincarnation and such. Sorry, I can't write a full reply right now. Basically, it's an opinion.. I am not here to prove anything or shove my opinions down other people's throats.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Try walking around the grounds of a 1,000 yr old ancient temple at 2am, by yourself, in the pitch black dark... and then tell me if you believe in ghosts.:eek:
  • edited October 2010
    GuyC wrote: »
    From what I have heard from paranormal researchers it seems as though ghosts tend to like to hang out in the same places they hung out while they were human beings. If you do have a ghost, it is possibly someone who used to live in that house. How old is the house?

its funny u should say this but my hubbys dad died a few years ago + he lived with us + it only started since he died. + i know it sounds like im being one of those crazy girls who just wants it to be true but i have never believed in all that stuff + even my hubby who is the most logical person u'll ever met said he heard it + it sounded just like footsteps. :eek: but it is only when one of us is in the house on our own....
  • edited October 2010
    Hey..
    We know Rebirth happens.. So why can't a person be reborn as a ghost???????????
    If it is not a rebirth, it can just be the Karma Energy suspende(Which cannot mix into the surroundings)... And those things you hear are just results of the working of that Energy on your mind.. :P

Love And Light,
    Nidish
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    est4elvis wrote: »
    its funny u should say this but my hubbys dad died a few years ago + he lived with us + it only started since he died. + i know it sounds like im being one of those crazy girls who just wants it to be true but i have never believed in all that stuff + even my hubby who is the most logical person u'll ever met said he heard it + it sounded just like footsteps. :eek: but it is only when one of us is in the house on our own....

Recently Venerable Sister Hue Can gave some talks about death/dying/ghosts/etc that may be of interest to you:

Death and Dying

Living and Grieving
  • edited October 2010
    thanks hun just tried to listen but with Lillie + cbeebies i cant concentrate! will listen to these tonight xx
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I think there are ghosts, definitely. I've had a few encounters myself that could very well have been ghosts, like when I was in Okinawa (I was in the Air Force) and lived with some friends on the very beach where the invasion took place in WW II (there was a Japanese pillbox right under our house). One night one of the other guys got up for an early flight, opened up the back door, and outside on the beach was all kinds of screaming and carrying on, even though we couldn't see anybody. Very spooky! I don't think this goes against Buddhist teachings either. Quite the opposite. Consciousness doesn't need a physical body, and as Guy said, ghosts generally are found in the places where they died or lived. It's a karmic thing. They get so attached to a place - either through trauma or habit or whatever - that the consciousness just stays there when the body dies. It's actually a kind of hell realm, according to my teacher. One of the people in our sangha had a sister who died suddenly in an accident and didn't realize she was dead. When she got home, she couldn't get anyone to acknowledge her, so she got really frustrated and started throwing things to get people's attention. Made the local papers as a poltergeist. Fortunately for her my teacher was told of it and was able to move her along.

Palzang
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Thanks for the ghost stories Palzang. :)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Come back on Halloween and I'll tell you some better ones! :eek:

Palzang
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Ghosts/spirits sure are real. If you are logical, and you pay attention to your surroundings most people will have at least one paranormal encounter in their lives. So it's both a combination of being logical, but not being oblivious.

I used to date a medium. She was a girl who was like a light beacon for spirits. She could see spirits better than normal people and since they knew this they were attracted to her. But she was terrified of them. She never wanted to talk about it most of the time, but it was very obvious.

A lot of the times I would stay with her crazy stuff would happen like doors slamming shut without wind and door knobs turning by themselves while I tried to sleep. I also heard the foot steps without anyone walking. I really have a whole list of paranormal events that happened to me. It seemed like after I spent time with this girl I started to experience more of these events.

I even recorded a spirit before on audio. It's rather creepy, but to me it's conclusive.
  • edited October 2010
    To me and many others, ghosts/spirits or astral beings(as we conveniently call them) are real.
    At the human plane of existence there are about three realms that overlap each other namely, Human, Animals and Astral Beings.
    For the majority we can see animals and each other however we cannot see astral beings.

From what I've heard and know, astral beings in their realm on Earth also have their kind of ranking ladder which is entirely based on merit/de-merit. Their knowledge, ornaments, glow/shineliness and command are based on merit created when they were humans. Their state of housing (size, colour etc) also depends on their merit
    If they had little merit they will be reborn as wandering ghost. If they had enough merit they might be reborn as Earth spirits who live in earth residences.

Besides from Earth spirits there are also Air spirits/Devas who live in the air and live in silver palaces. Well there are also water spirits and Nagas(Mystical Serpents who live under river beds and their natural predators being the garudas in the heavens)

If a human being created a lot of demerit and died as a spirit the hell-guards will drag him down to hell.

Furthermore there are also guardian devas who act as protectors of the good and there are also evil guardian devas(Maras) who act as protectors of the bad and serve to disrupt the work of the good).

Evil spirits can harm us but they'll get bad karma too. That is all I know about ghosts/spirits/devas etc. But because I lack insight into this matter i cannot justify their existence for anyone including myself. :)
  • edited October 2010
    Buddhism doesn't deal with ghosts.

Not true.
    There are references to preta's (the class of beings that includes but is not limited to hungry ghosts and what we in the west think of as spirits or ghosts) in the Sanskrit and Pali canons. The preta are a class of being that are often used by example to teach and there are even specific practices that use the preta realm as a basis of development.

Buddhism most certainly deals with ghosts on many different levels.
  • edited October 2010
    Nidish wrote: »
    Hey..
    We know Rebirth happens.. So why can't a person be reborn as a ghost???????????

They can be.
    Preta's are a class of being that one can take rebirth as. Its not a good one.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Unquenchable hunger, thirst and grasping. Don't no about being born like that in a future life, but I sure know being born a Hungryghost in this life. It is appalling.
    edited October 2010
    Not true.
    There are references to preta's (the class of beings that includes but is not limited to hungry ghosts and what we in the west think of as spirits or ghosts) in the Sanskrit and Pali canons. The preta are a class of being that are often used by example to teach and there are even specific practices that use the preta realm as a basis of development.

Buddhism most certainly deals with ghosts on many different levels.

Yeah, you're right. I made that statement a while back and obviously I was wrong.
  • edited October 2010
    Yeah, you're right. I made that statement a while back and obviously I was wrong.

The point you made about Buddhism being concerned with liberation was certainly true though. It is interesting to take a look at were any possible "spirits" fit into that path.