Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Books of the Buddha's Sayings?

edited October 2010 in Arts & Writings
I am looking for a book that contains all, most, or many of the Buddha's sayings.

(As distinguished from books containing the teachings or sayings of his followers. Not that there's anything wrong with those--it's just that in this case I seek only the words of the Buddha himself.)

Does anyone know of a book like this, which they could recommend?

Many thanks!

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Buddha didn't personally write down anything that was recorded.

His teachings were an oral tradition I think until some of his monks after his death wrote them down.

An example would be the dhammapada.
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited October 2010
    What about the Dhammapada?

Edit: ^What he said...
  • edited October 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    Buddha didn't personally write down anything that was recorded.

His teachings were an oral tradition I think until some of his monks after his death wrote them down.

An example would be the dhammapada.
    Thank you for your reply.

I may not have been clear enough with my request, for which I apologize. Let me try again:

I'm looking for a book which contains the collected sayings of the Buddha. (Not a book written by the Buddha: a book compiled by someone else--perhaps even someone in this century--which contains the Buddha's own direct words.

As opposed to books which contain secondary teachings based on his words, such as theological or instructional writings of his disciples and followers, or their disciples and followers, etc.)

The Dhammapada is a great example of what I mean, and I do have that; but I believe it's only a fraction of the Buddha's direct teachings, and I'm hoping to find a larger collection, perhaps even an exhaustive collection in one book.

If anyone knows of such a book, I would be grateful for a recommendation, thanks.
  • edited October 2010
    What about the Dhammapada?

Edit: ^What he said...
    Yes, that's exactly the kind of thing I mean, thank you.

But it turns out the Dhammapada is not the totality of the Buddha's sayings: there are many other teachings he gave, as well.

I'm wondering if they can all be found in one book?
    edited October 2010
    zendo, there is no 'one book' that I am aware of, but the Dhammapada is a good start. Other than that, you can find bits and pieces of the rest of the pali canon translated into English, but it's not a collection of quotes.
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I think you can only be talking about Suttas and Sutras, and certainly there cannot be one book containing all of those because there are thousands of them and some are rather lengthy...in fact I'm pretty sure there are still some that have not been translated into english yet.
    edited October 2010
    Yeah... Buddha often used metaphors and symbolism which he's elaborate upond to get ideas across, so there aren't many one-liners. Buddha's teachings are more like short stories and dialogues rather than quick quotes.

And you're right, there's heaps that hasn't been translated. The important sutras have been translated, but there's still heaps left. There's also a problem of the translator's personal interpretation... a single word can be translated in many different ways... some of which are more accurate than others. A lot of people seem to want to learn Pali, so they can read these texts as they were written.
  • edited October 2010
    Thanks for your input, guys. A recommendation of a good, clear book of sutras would be most welcome, if anyone has one.

But what I'm really hoping to find is something like the little book I carry around with me, The Buddha Speaks by Anne Bancroft. It's a collection of many of the Buddha's sayings, arranged by category. It's a really beautiful and inspiring book.

Surely there must be other books of this type. If you happen to come across one, please let me know; and I will also share, if I find one. Thanks!
  • edited October 2010
    Teachings of The Buddha is a good one.
  • edited October 2010
    SteadyBlue wrote: »
    Teachings of The Buddha is a good one.
    Thanks--do you know the name of the author?
  • edited October 2010
    zendo wrote: »
    Thanks--do you know the name of the author?

I believe it's Jack Kornfield.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I just ordered this one from Amazon:

isbn.aspx?isbn=9781590303801
  • edited October 2010
    Both of these books appear to be collaborations between Fronsdal and Kornfield.

I would be interested to know how the "new translation" of the Dhammapada compares to other translations.

Meanwhile I've ordered Teachings of the Buddha from the library (thanks for the recommendation).
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited October 2010
    There is also this book ( free online and donations can be made ) and information about this translation of the Dhammapada ... ( think it is was Dazzle who originally highlighted this site to me :) )

http://www.insightmeditationcenter.org/books-articles/the-issue-at-hand/
  • edited October 2010
    Thanks andyrobin, I'll check this out.