Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Video games and Buddhism

edited October 2010 in Buddhism Today
Greetings, all:

I'm a graduate student who is very interested in the intersection of faith/religion and video games and I'm pursuing this as a part of my masters degree thesis. I'm very interested in whether video games offer any kind of path to religious experiences and what that would mean.

The audience here is perfect for the kinds of people I am looking for to complete a short survey on games and religion, and I would be extremely thankful for anyone who might have the time to complete my survey. It's aimed primarily at people who are video gamers, but of any variety of religious belief.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ZTL35LQ

I've really very interested in what everyone has to say on the topic, it's very exciting.

This survey is completely anonymous and the only use it will have is to help me in my research. Once some results come in, I will condense them and probably come back to this forum to share some of the findings.

Thanks very much and forgive any intrusion. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply or message me.

Isaac

Comments

• ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Done. What exactly would you classify as a spiritual experience?
  • edited October 2010
    Thank you very much.

The question of what qualifies as a spiritual experience is rather open to me. I'm genuinely not sure. This is one of a series of surveys and is rather broad and preliminary. There is a lot of room in it for comments and free-text, so I'm hoping to learn something from the people who take it. I'm hoping that people who take it will interpret "spiritual experience" in their own way and then ideally explain what they meant. :)

Thanks again.
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Ah ok, no worries. Good luck with the research.
  • edited October 2010
    done.
    that was a good one.
  • HondenHonden Dallas, TX Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Done. I hope you'll share your results with us when all is said and done.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Doing it now.

Curious - what is your field of study?
  • edited October 2010
    When I saw the username was DrFreeman I was relieved to find you signed your name as Isaac rather than Gordon.
  • edited October 2010
    Thanks all for taking the survey. The results so far have been rather interesting and I appreciate it. My field of study is Game Analysis, sort of a non-directed Game Design study. It's a bit like film studies or film analysis, but with video games as the subject. Because games are interactive, there are different things to think about than with straight-up film, etc.
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited October 2010
    done
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Done. I have played games all my life, so I have plenty of opinions on them.