Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Attitude toward Buddhists

2»

Comments

• edited November 2010
    Faith does not have to mean blind obedience to a concept regardless of the evidence. I can't see the heavens or hells or even other future human lives, I can't see the goal of nirvana, etc. For these, I must rely on the words of Lord Buddha. This is an act of faith.

What Cloud says is true, in the sense that the Sanskrit word is shraddha, which has a connotation of "confidence based on experience" in both Buddhist and Hindu practice. We find this again and again of importance in Buddhist texts such as the Kalama Sutta:

"The ariyan [noble] disciple is of faith; he has faith in the Awakening of the Tathagata [Buddha], and thinks: He is indeed Lord, perfected one, fully Self-Awakened One, endowed with right knowledge and conduct, well-farer, knower of the world(s), matchless charioteer of men to be tamed, teacher of devas [gods] and men, the Awakened One, the Lord."
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Buddhists are seen as smiling, happy people with some strange beliefs, but who pose no threat to anyone.

Furthermore, many of them grew up Jewish.

Now many people know that Jews are smart.

Therefore, Buddhism is not only for Buddhists, but for smart people in general.

Let me rephrase: In today's society, among the many, Buddhists are seen as smart, smiling, happy people with a penchant for being peaceful and kind.
  • edited November 2010
    It all depend on how visible you want to make your religion. It's better to not let everyone know your a Buddhist if you suspect it's going to create divisive problems for you and other people. After all, Buddhism is about helping other people and not to show off how much more tolerant and wise than other people. A Bodhisattva is not restricted to any religion.
    edited November 2010
    Huh?
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Nirvana wrote: »
    Huh?

I think what Ch'an_noob is trying to say is that in some cases, it may not be skillful to make public that you're a Buddhist, as it may create anger or other negative reactions.

The point is not to show others "how much better" Buddhism is by announcing you're a Buddhist and doing good things and going "Hey! Look at me! Another Buddhist doing more good stuff! See? Buddhism is great!!!" but rather just live according to the 4NT and 8FP and let things follow from there.
  • edited November 2010
    Trying to write more clearly with better Grammar and punctuation is something I am also working on :P

I used to write like a G lol "Tryin ta write moe clearly wid moe bettah grammaz and punctuation is somethang I am also workin on! Know wat im sayin?"
    edited November 2010
    Maybe I've just got a very thick skull, but I thought this thread was about the public perception of Buddhists as a group and attitudes of others towards them.

I don't see what that has to do with anything a Buddhist either chooses to do or simply exudes —whether by intent or by accident.

hence the "Huh?"