Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Attachment/Compassion

edited October 2010 in Buddhism Today
Whilst not actually Buddhist, I've long held Buddhist philosophy with respect and admiration.
But I honestly don't understand the dichotomy of Attachment and Compassion.
Surely to have one, is to have the other?
I'm obviously missing something here and I'd appreciate it if someone could explain what, to me, is one of the most baffling aspects of Buddhism and indeed, in my own life,
Surely compassion is attachment;
and attachment is more often than not compassion?

Comments

• pineblossompineblossom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Dog Star wrote: »
    Whilst not actually Buddhist, I've long held Buddhist philosophy with respect and admiration.
    I'm obviously missing something here and I'd appreciate it if someone could explain what, to me, is one of the most baffling aspects of Buddhism and indeed, in my own life,

Hi Dog Star - good question.

The answer lies in our very Western dualist thinking.

True compassion - that compassion that is expressed without attachment to the idea of 'isn't it wonderful how I'm helping all these unfortunate people' - but pure altruistic, comes with no attachment.

For us Westerners there is very much a subject/object about much charity work. Compassion is not charity. True compassion is giving up yourself for the benefit of others. If you can do that honestly without feeling the need of some 'positive feedback' then you are on the path.
  • edited October 2010
    G'day Pine Blopssom,
    Many thanks for your reply. :)

I think I see what you're saying.

Let me try to put it this way - I'm the sort of rat-bag who flips up-turned beetles back on their feet and picks up bees out of puddles (haven't been stung yet :D)

I think I do this from compassion - that is, I figure that that's a lousy way to die and if I can prevent that by intervention, then I probably should.

But realistically - Why should I care?

I didn't up-turn the beetle in the first place-It's in that position due to causes in its own life. There is no rational reason for me to become involved unless I feel some form of attachment.
    Why should I interfere unless I feel Attached?
    I think that the meaning of compassion is the ability to put ones-self in someone elses shoes and feel what they feel.
    That has to be attachment, surely?
    I'll admit that I sort of get a buzz out of doing it. I don't feel that I've comitted a charitable act, but rather a meaningful act.
    I'm probably really simple , but I'm having a bugger of a time trying to sort the difference between attachment and compassion and understanding why one should be avoided whilst it's desirable to cultivate the other?

Not looking for an arguement - I'm genuinely seeking illumination on this point because I really honestly don't understand it. :confused:
    (Please show some compassion and attachment to a poor simple fool. :) )
  • pineblossompineblossom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    G'day Pine Blopssom,
    Many thanks for your reply. :)

I think I see what you're saying.

Let me try to put it this way - I'm the sort of rat-bag who flips up-turned beetles back on their feet and picks up bees out of puddles (haven't been stung yet :D)

I think I do this from compassion - that is, I figure that that's a lousy way to die and if I can prevent that by intervention, then I probably should.

But realistically - Why should I care?

I didn't up-turn the beetle in the first place-It's in that position due to causes in its own life. There is no rational reason for me to become involved unless I feel some form of attachment.
    Why should I interfere unless I feel Attached?
    I think that the meaning of compassion is the ability to put ones-self in someone elses shoes and feel what they feel.
    I'll admit that I sort of get a buzz out of doing it. I don't feel that I've comitted a charitable act, but rather a meaningful act.
    I'm probably really simple , but I'm having a bugger of a time trying to sort the difference between attachment and compassion and understanding why one should be avoided whilst it's desirable to cultivate the other?

Not looking for an arguement - I'm genuinely seeking illumination on this point because I really honestly don't understand it. :confused:
    (Please show some compassion and attachment to a poor simple fool. :) )

Hmmm ... let's see if I can do a bit better.

From the Buddhist perspective compassion is not an emotion. Empathy is an emotion I feel when I can understanding someone else's suffering - like flipping over beetles. This is putting myself in another's shoes. And when I help them I do feel good.

There is nothing wrong with empathy - but it is not compassion.

Compassion is close to equanimity. The compassion we generate, as Buddhists, is for all sentient beings - which includes those people whom we might see as our enemy and other living creatures which we don't happen to like. The whole concept of reaching enlightenment is so that we can release all suffers - including those in the hell realms. I don't particularly like the Taliban but I pray for them.

On that point a recent contribution to these boards by member who was imprisoned in Tibet was insightful. He made the comment that it was a test of his practice to have compassion for the Chinese who put him there. That is compassion.

Attachment and aversion are products of our dualist thinking. I like this but I don't like that. We grasp at one and avoid the other. Not to pray for our enemies is avoidance and falls into the same category as attachment.

How am I doing?
  • edited October 2010
    This is a newbie response, so take it for what it's worth...

Could it be possible that you're confusing "non-attachment" with "detachment"? I think there's a difference. "Detachment" is having no connection while "non-attachment" is seeing the connection without clinging to it.

Let me use the example you gave of the beetle in the mud. If you were detached, then it wouldn't matter to you if the beetle died in the mud or not. If, however, you were compassionate without attachment, you would realize that, like yourself, the beetle doesn't want to die and doesn't want to suffer, so you free it. But you don't cling to the feeling of saving the beetle's life, or receiving anything in return. You may feel some satisfaction in saving a life, but you don't hold on to that feeling, you don't use it as a way of saying, "Hey, I'm compassionate! I saved a beetle from the mud 15 years ago!"

At least, that's my thinking on the subject.
  • edited October 2010
    To help others is to help yourself. No attachment is required for true altruistic compassion. To think that helping others in no way helps us is a mistake due to the illusion of complete separation.
  • edited October 2010
    When the Buddha said that our attachments cause suffering, he did mean that we should abandon all our attachments. That is extreme thinking and incompatible with the concept of the middle way (i.e. moderation).

Compassion does involve attachment but what the Buddha meant is that we vary the amount of attachment according to the situation. For example, when a child is born, the parents will have attachment to the child. This is a healthy and parents who are unattached will have problems. If the child is causing significant emotional suffering to the parents and the parents are struggling, then, they could lessen their attachments, so that suffer less and have time to revitalise themselves. Once, they feel better, they can increase the attachment and continue looking after the child. If the child dies, then it is time to let go and detach. Attachments will cause profound suffering. So, think of attachment as a sliding scale. We vary our attachment levels according to the situation.
  • AvusoAvuso New
    edited October 2010
    As far is I understand you say that compassion is the same as attachment? In both examples you are trying to get the "same" emotions as the person or animal who is suffering. On the base of the emotions you created for yourself you are acting to help. So in both examples you are acting on attachment.

But why create suffering for yourself to help someone else? Compassion is helping other people without suffering with them. If a friend of yours is very sad and you want to help him. It makes no sense to become sad yourself. Then we have two sad people. Thats exactly twice as sad :) And thats what I call attachment.

When you have compassion you will help you friend without being sad yourself. Give him shoulder or an arm around his/here neck. Be there for them and simply listen to there story without getting attached to the emotions of that story.

This is how I see attachment vs compassion. But he! Maybe I'm wrong I'm not a Buddha :D
  • edited October 2010

Compassion that does not have attachment, does not expect a return, does not differentiate between enemies or friends, does not wish for good merits, does not try to be compassionate, does not wish for the blissful feeling of having helped others... true compassion like that is combined with a realisation of emptiness.

At our point, we work towards such a compassion. We practise it in our life and try to make aspirations to develop it further and further.

Attachment compassion has a huge difference, it is quite demanding and brings alot of emotional ups-and-downs for the person practising it and it has a very differentiating mind... like for eg. if you feed some fishes, and someone comes along and feeds, you feel unhappy... you want to be the one who is feeding... there is a notion of 'I' there and a clinging to that... so that is self-clinging which makes compassion into 'attachment compassion'... but at our early stages, to be completely real compassion is quite difficult, we must work step by step, gently changing...

hope this helps.:)
  • edited October 2010
    There is no seperation between you and the beetle. There is no "I". "I" is the invention of the ego.You would do the same for the beetle as you would your worst enemy. That is compassion to me. No attachment because there is only interbeing.

That is how "I" define compassion. :)
  • edited October 2010
    My deepest thanks to you all for your thoughtful replies.
    Each post has given me much food for thought and I'm continuing to ponder them all.
    I can see that I may have confused compassion with empathy, but I also feel that compassion, attachment and empathy are very probably (to my way of thinking) three separate skeins of a tightly wound rope. :confused:
    I think I understand compassion and I'm fairly confident that I understand empathy.
    It's becoming clear to me that it's the nature of attachment (as used in the Buddhist sense) that I'm having difficulty with.
    I love to contemplate a sun rise (or sun set), a bird in flight, a smiling infant, baby turtles, a dog sleeping in the sun, a Lunar eclipse or one of Jupiter's moons gradually emerging from behind.
    All these examples are forms of attachment, surely?
    Yet they do not produce suffering in me; in fact they induce feelings of joy and almost rapture in me and the knowledge of their impermanence only seems to add to their exquisite beauty, to my eyes.
    I'm in love with the throb of the Universe. :)
    Does this preclude me from becoming a Buddhist or is there a branch of Buddhism that might deal with this?
    My thanks for your forbearance! :)
  • AvusoAvuso New
    edited October 2010
    It's becoming clear to me that it's the nature of attachment (as used in the Buddhist sense) that I'm having difficulty with.
    I love to contemplate a sun rise (or sun set), a bird in flight, a smiling infant, baby turtles, a dog sleeping in the sun, a Lunar eclipse or one of Jupiter's moons gradually emerging from behind.
    No they are not attachment. But they can lead to attachment. I think a lot of buddhists will enjoy all of these things to. And thats perfectly fine.

But when you enjoyed the sun rise in the morning and at night you are craving for the next morning to come. So you can see the sun rise again. Thats the attachment part. And that craving is the "suffering".
    Yet they do not produce suffering in me; in fact they induce feelings of joy and almost rapture in me and the knowledge of their impermanence only seems to add to their exquisite beauty, to my eyes.
    I'm in love with the throb of the Universe. :)
    Does this preclude me from becoming a Buddhist or is there a branch of Buddhism that might deal with this?
    My thanks for your forbearance! :)
    Nobody is precluded since buddhism does not have rules for lay people. Only recommendations.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I think I understand compassion and I'm fairly confident that I understand empathy.

Like Avuso said, the enjoyment in itself is not attachment, but can lead to attachment; if you constantly seek those things in order to find happiness, that would be attachment.

And "suffering" isn't necessarily overt sadness or despair. The fact that happiness and enjoyment wanes is part of suffering. You may be really happy when you play with your dog, but an hour later that happiness will fade. You may not be sad per se, but that cessation of happiness is part of "suffering."

No of course it doesn't preclude you from becoming a Buddhist! You don't have to be a "perfect person" to be a Buddhist... far from it.

And the concept of dukkha (suffering) is part of the Four Noble Truths, which is central to all schools of Buddhism.
  • HanzzeHanzze Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I read an Interview about Einstein and why he stopped continue to work out his "relativity theory!", "If I continue, would mean that I do not accept a god. I don't like to give up the believe in a god." (other words, but the meaning)
  • edited October 2010
    Hanzze wrote: »
    I read an Interview about Einstein and why he stopped continue to work out his "relativity theory!", "If I continue, would mean that I do not accept a god. I don't like to give up the believe in a god." (other words, but the meaning)

Link? Not saying I don't believe you per se, but you gotta be careful about what you believe when it comes to random posts on an internet forum. You understand.
  • HanzzeHanzze Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Dog Star sticks with Einstein and western thinking. Is the task of this topic an pastimes? If so, sorry for the quick step forward :-) _/\_

Dog Star, be real 100% selfish. Do only what is good for you and do not cheat your self! There are two ways, the way of pure compassion or the way of pure selfishness. Both will bring the other on its aim. But don't cheat your self and change on the way!
  • edited October 2010
    My thanks to all who took the time to reply to my enquiries.
    They are serious to my understanding of Buddhism and your replies have given me much to think about. :)
    Again, many thanks!:)
  • edited October 2010
    To Hanzze,
    Your reply was the most cryptic.
    You either misunderstand me completely or understand me more than I do myself. :)
    My deep thanks for your considered reply. :)
  • HanzzeHanzze Veteran
    edited October 2010
    _/\_ :-)