Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Synergies... amazing!

MountainsMountains Veteran
edited October 2010 in General Banter
I'm currently a full-time student living on a limited, fixed income. Well, actually it's not 'income' - it's just a given amount of money I have to get me through the next 2+ years of school and living expenses.

Given the incredibly intense nature of the current semester, I decided that I will not only deserve, but desperately need a real down time break over the holidays, so I'm going to go sit on a tropical beach for a week. True, it's a huge extravagance of money I really don't have at the moment, but I'm doing it anyway :)

Then yesterday, an old client for whom I had done some freelance graphics work emailed me and asked if I would be able to do a project for him before the first of December. Ordinarily I would have to decline, as I have zero time to devote to stuff like that right now. BUT... it turns out the project he's after is essentially just a re-do of stuff I've already done previously! What he needs is taking me about 2 hours to rejigger to his specs, and *voila* my holiday trip is paid for!

Truly, the universe works in mysterious ways sometimes!

Comments

• ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    nice one ;)

Pleasant surprises are always welcomed with open arms. Where exactly are you planning on heading for your holiday anyways?

Where did you pick up your graphic skills..?? That is what I studied at college and university, I might intend to look for work here in Thailand but there are so many laws and restrictions against foreigners working here.
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Very cool, Mountains :-) Gotta love it when things work out like that!
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Where exactly are you planning on heading for your holiday anyways?

Belize.
    Where did you pick up your graphic skills..?? That is what I studied at college and university, I might intend to look for work here in Thailand but there are so many laws and restrictions against foreigners working here.

I'm 100% self-taught. Specifically, I do mostly silkscreen art, but I also do technical illustration. Here's an example of the latter.

Utopia737s.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Those are quite cool. The dolphin in seagull tail is my favorite :P
    I saw a brief on a graphic design forum that was very similar to this actually. I need to create a new portfolio so I was looking around the net for decent briefs.

I am more into editorial work and photo manipulation. My strong point is with typography though, I have a sort of passion for typography. You can create such wonderful things with simple type work.

Belize eh, well have a grand old time won't you chap :p Everybody needs a good old break now and then :)
    edited October 2010
    I *LOVE* type! I'm a fontaholic. I think at last count I had somewhere around 4000 fonts on my system :) I learned typesetting before there was such a thing as a computer typesetting machine. Then I learned the first crude "computer" machines, and then they went the way of the dodo when PC's came along. I remember the first time I "typeset" a document on a desktop PC - I thought the world had surely turned a corner (and I as right). I can tell you why "leading" is called "leading" (and it has to do with the element lead, Pb), and why we say "upper case" and "lower case" for letters...
    edited October 2010
    LOL, oldskool type methods. There are many different terminologies within typography and I am sure most people are oblivious to the vast majority of them. After all, they do not need to know them so there is no real reason to :p

Coming from college and university in graphic design, I was 'raised' on macs and would never consider owning a PC again personally speaking. My macbook is the one main material thing I care about. I have a phone with no colour screen, maybe 4 sets of clothing and yea that is that haha. O I forgot, I have a nikon D60 as well. There is a funny story with my laptop, I actually got drugged about 5 months ago and it got stolen along with £900. My friend had the exact same model as me and owed/owes me an amount of money so he gave me his to take away some of the debt. So all of my uni work has gone, my work I did for pleasure has gone and my copy of fotoshop :( If I had not had any experience with buddhism I probably would have cried, but I just had to laugh and walk it off really. Also I think the substance they drugged me with was still in my system for several days..

When exactly are you heading out to belize??
    edited October 2010
    30 December at 0840! :)

Mac user here since 1989.