Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

After years of waiting.

B5CB5C Veteran
edited October 2010 in General Banter

Comments

• MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Have you read about the fracas over who will start in it? Apparently the actor's union is having major issues with the production company, so some of the big names you might expect probably won't participate. Or that was the last I read several weeks ago.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I believe there is going to be a good arrangement soon. It's not Lord of the Rings without Sir Ian McKellen, Hugo Weaving, Cate Blanchett, and Sir Christopher Lee.

At least I hope Sir Christopher Lee is healthy enough to film. :(
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I sure hope so too! I can't wait to see it (them)!!
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited October 2010
    As I recall Saruman and Galadriel did not have a role to play in the Hobbit, unlike Elrond and Golum. So I'm surprised to hear that they may both be in the new film. Of course it would not be the same without Sir Ian as Gandalf.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    edited October 2010
    LesC wrote: »
    As I recall Saruman and Galadriel did not have a role to play in the Hobbit, unlike Elrond and Golum. So I'm surprised to hear that they may both be in the new film. Of course it would not be the same without Sir Ian as Gandalf.
    This is what is going to be added:

"According to the dates, Sauron reappeared earlier, and resided in his fortress of Dol Guldur. His presence there increased the evil of the place, and it remained a constant threat to the peoples of Mirkwood and The White Council. This was the "important business" Gandalf had to attend to in The Hobbit. Gandalf was trying to move the White Council to assault Dol Guldur and drive The Necromancer, hence Sauron, out of Mirkwood. Gandalf finally accomplishes this before the Battle of Five Armies.
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/In_%27The_Hobbit%27_who_is_the_Necromancer
    "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauron#The_Necromancer_of_Dol_Guldur
    edited October 2010
    It was Saruman to whom I was referring, not Sauron... (I know - easily confused). The character Saruman was played by Sir Christopher Lee. His character did not appear in the Hobbit, nor as far as I recall did Galadriel (played by Cate Blanchette). So your earlier comment regarding these roles and stars in the new film, I found somewhat confusing.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    edited October 2010
    If you grab your copy of "Return of the King" go to the appendixes. It's all there.
    edited October 2010
    But what I think you are missing is that is a reference within the LotR trilogy itself. My point was that the Hobbit was written a considerable time BEFORE the concept of the LotR was even dreamt of. So how could characters who did not exist (even in the mind of their creator) appear in a story written years before their creation?

As I'm sure I don't need to tell you, the LotR was written many years later as a response to the overwhelming success of THe Hobbit. Any references found within the trilogy itself would obviously have referrences pointing back and tying The Hobbit into that story, any good author would do that, but the fact remains that those characters did not exist at the time the Hobbit was written, so how could they now appear in the movie, and still remain true to the book??
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Yes it was, but at the time. Tolkien had a basis of his world before the Hobbit. Tolkien has notes and lots of short stories that about the whole history of middle earth before the Hobbit.
    edited October 2010
    I don't dispute that. Not only had Tolkien created those worlds, but also created the languages that went along with them - a brilliant mind. I think we need to put this to bed, because no matter how many times I bring you back to my central question, you avoid answering it. So thank you for the opportunity to discuss Tolkien, but I am not attached to the outcome of this discussion.

Namasté
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Seems the NZ government has stepped in today and things look good to go.