Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

3 in 1?

edited October 2010 in Buddhism Today
I'm looking for a sanga. The website of one I've found says, "Students engage in the study of Theravada, Mahayana, and Vajrayana (Triyana) schools." This appeals to me because I wouldn't have to make a choice before I understand the different traditions better.

What do others think?

Comments

• nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I'm looking for a sanga. The website of one I've found says, "Students engage in the study of Theravada, Mahayana, and Vajrayana (Triyana) schools." This appeals to me because I wouldn't have to make a choice before I understand the different traditions better.

What do others think?
    Could you post a link to the website?I would not like to comment without seeing a bit more.
    With metta
  • edited October 2010
    nanadhaja wrote: »
    Could you post a link to the website?I would not like to comment without seeing a bit more.
    With metta
    Sure http://web.mit.edu/metta/www/
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited October 2010
    From what I saw it seems to largely focus on the Vajrayana tradition more than the others,but thats cool.It can't do you any harm in checking them out.
    Can I take it that you are not sure which tradition suits you best?
    Another possibility is to check out http://www.buddhanet.com
    They can also let you know of various sanghas in your area.
    I wish you all the best on finding a sangha to help you and to guide you on your journey.
    With metta
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2010
    OP: In this age of free information (i.e. internet), it's always wise to do your homework. Before entering into a sangha, which is for many a big decision, you have the ability to research all that your heart desires about Buddhism and the differences between the various schools. Research and practice are generally different things, but it is well to have a mind filled with information that will allow you to know if your practice is leading toward or away from the goal.
  • edited October 2010
    The particular "school" that will suit you will depend on many things, primarily which one you are karmically attracted to. None of the three is "better" or "higher" than the others. It depends on you and what you are drawn to. Study ALL of them at first, to get a good sense of what they are :-).