Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Precepts.

edited October 2010 in Buddhism Basics
There are some situations when precepts are hard or even impossible to keep. What do you think ? And what kind of solutions can you give to these poor people( could be anyone ) who are forced to meet such conditions ?

1.For instance if you're in the army you're forced to kill animals for food or enemies even though you wish to keep the precepts intact.

If you're poor and lived in a poor country there are only few jobs which one could uptake such as being a fisherman or a butcher.

2. White lies. Lies said for the good of others. Does this violates the precept of not lying ?

3. Promises made but one doesn't mean it. For example making empty promises when one is drunk.

4. Promises that are harmful. For example someone promised to kill someone etc. This kind of promises are harmful and if one breaks it, it means the precept is broken. If it is followed another precept is broken. What a dilema...

Share your throughts :lol:

Comments

• thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited October 2010
    exonesion wrote: »
    There are some situations when precepts are hard or even impossible to keep. What do you think ? And what kind of solutions can you give to these poor people( could be anyone ) who are forced to meet such conditions ?

1.For instance if you're in the army you're forced to kill animals for food or enemies even though you wish to keep the precepts intact.

If you're poor and lived in a poor country there are only few jobs which one could uptake such as being a fisherman or a butcher.

2. White lies. Lies said for the good of others. Does this violates the precept of not lying ?

3. Promises made but one doesn't mean it. For example making empty promises when one is drunk.

4. Promises that are harmful. For example someone promised to kill someone etc. This kind of promises are harmful and if one breaks it, it means the precept is broken. If it is followed another precept is broken. What a dilema...

Precepts are not Laws but principles that form the Moral guidance of the path.

For example, white lies have their karmic payload irrespective of the good intentions behind them.

namaste
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Solutions:

1. Don't join the army to begin with?
    Poor people: would depend on the situation.
    2. Depends on the situation. "Does this dress make me look fat?" No, it looks fine" comes to mind. :lol:
    3. Don't make empty promises and don't get drunk?
    4. Don't make harmful promises?

One of the skillful ways to keep the precepts is to not put yourself in a situation that would require you to break them to begin with.
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited October 2010

This is a hard one.I guess not joining the army is the best way to avoid that but in some countries it is compulsary.I do not know.
    Again,difficult.Though I am not sure that there are many places like this.I guess unfortunately if you are poor and have no choice you would have to do it.

It is the intent that matters here.Lying is wrong when you do it for your own benefit or to make problems for others.I think that lying to protect others can be positive.During WW2 many people hid Jews from the nazis.When asked if they knew where any Jews were,they lied.I believe that this would not really be breaking a precept.
    This sounds like 2 precepts at one time.I guess the precept not to take intoxicants has lead to the precept of no false speech to be broken as well.
    Remember though that precepts for lay people are training rules.You try to keep them as best you can.If you do break them,take them again and try harder.Do not give up.
    I will say however that breaking the 5th precept can lead very quickly to the breaking of all of the others.

Making a promise to kill someone is wrong in the first place.This will have consequences,but not as bad as if you actually do the killing.I guess it would be best to break that precept.:)
    With metta
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited October 2010
    seeker242 wrote: »
    Solutions:

2. Depends on the situation. "Does this dress make me look fat?" No, it looks fine" comes to mind. :lol:

This is called skilfull.You lie and this protects 2 people.If you say yes,then you will suffer and your partner may break a number of precepts getting even.:lol:
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited October 2010
    1. Remember there's a balance between good and bad actions... also remember intention matters... and the fact that killing that 1 animal will save several lives. So 1 bad action vs. several good actions... your karma undergoes a positive change.

2. Yes, that's a violation.

3. One wouldn't be drunk in the first place... so that's two violations.

3. Yes, making a promise to kill someone is unskilful... and there's intent to kill. Then through good intent you break the promise... that seems like a neutral action (cancels each other out), but the initial promise to kill would be bad karma to begin with.

Buddhist precepts aren't commandment... you're not going to hell for braking them. They're for your own good, so stick to them to the level that you can and want to.
  • AvusoAvuso New
    edited October 2010
    Is it not all about intentions? Why do you do something?
    edited October 2010
    Well, it's not ALL about intentions. "The road to hell is paved with good intentions", right? Not many 'evil' people think what they're doing is 'evil'. Hitler may have had good intentions, but that's certainly not an excuse.
  • ChrysalidChrysalid Veteran
    edited October 2010
    There are always alternatives. If you are forced to join the army you can refuse, this may result in imprisonment, it all depends how seriously you are willing to take the precept. Otherwise, you could ask to drive military ambulances or train as a field medic.
    And people are rarely forced to kill for food, there is usually some form of vegetation around. However if there are only animals, then I think it would be stubbornness to let yourself starve to death, a dead man can't reach enlightenment.
    Sometimes situations are beyond our control. This fact needs to be accepted. However, as I said before there are almost always alternatives. The alternatives might be a lot harder than the obvious solution, and may involve a lot more work or hardship, but they are usually there.
    Not in my opinion. Better yet though is to stay silent, or deflect the conversation into other areas.
    Depends on the promise. Being intoxicated is no excuse for not keeping your word. But it depends on what that promise is.
    That's not a dilemma. That's being stupid. Promising to kill someone is one of the daftest things I've ever heard, no one who endeavors even slightly to follow the precepts would do such a thing.
  • AvusoAvuso New
    edited October 2010
    Well, it's not ALL about intentions. "The road to hell is paved with good intentions", right? Not many 'evil' people think what they're doing is 'evil'. Hitler may have had good intentions, but that's certainly not an excuse.

Yes, your right about that. Well, lets say right view and right intentions :)
    edited October 2010
    Exactly! ... along with right speech, action, livelihood, effort, mindfulness and concentration. =)
  • edited October 2010
    Thanks a lot for your answers.
    Now I know more about the precepts. :)
  • ZendoLord84ZendoLord84 Veteran
    edited October 2010
    in every situation there is a way with help of the precepts and the noble path....

answers will come easier with wisdom and especially patience.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited October 2010
    The thing about these types of questions is that it varies from situation to situation, case by case. It depends on the intent of the agent, and if that intent leads to a 'right' action.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited October 2010

1. Don't join the army/be a draft dodger/be court-martialed/become a "religious" and be a chaplain in the army/be a medic in the army ... oh, so many ways. ... I lived in the Ozarks for 3 years, living off the land, jobs were scarce and openings went to relatives ... I didn't have to resort to being a fisher or butcher.

2. A lie is a lie is a lie ... says my teacher (a monk since age 12, from the Dalai Lama's monastery). White lies are told for the good of our comfort ... misleading others (no dear, your butt doesn't look big) is not really doing them a favor. "Always tell the truth, but never tell an unkind truth" is a good way to live.

3. This is why Buddhists shouldn't drink ... so they can be fully aware and alert and not say things they don't mean (like, "yes, I'll still respect you in the morning" or is that a white lie?)

4. Again, don't make promises that are harmful.

None of the Precepts are impossible to keep. Yes, some are difficult to keep, and I'm sure it depends on the individual as to which ones are difficult. For me, it's not swatting mosquitoes.