Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Regarding things Westerners like me have trouble accepting...

ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
edited October 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Reincarnation, karma, ghosts and other concepts are all inherited from Hindu and Indian culture.

If Buddha was born elsewhere... lets say Sweden for example. Would he still be teaching using Hindu concepts? Would he realise upon enlightenment "hey, we're all wrong, the Indians are right, I need to teach karma and reincarnation as well"?

I think Buddha had a high level of understanding other humans, so he knew that he would have to put everything in terms others would understand. Obviously karma was something everyone believed in and understood, so it was a good starting point.

Perhaps instead of teaching about reincarnation, samsara and Nirvana he'd say the ultimate goal is to reach enlightenment and go to Valhala?

Am I wrong? I'd like to hear from those who accept reincarnation as absolute fact.

Comments

• B5CB5C Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Of Course Buddhism would be a lot different. If he was born in Scandinavia we would be basing of Nordic cultures.

They were probably were some Vikings who might believe in reincarnation. Heck there were Buddhist missionaries who did meet with Vikings.

oseberg_buddha.jpg
    http://www.vikingrune.com/2009/08/oseberg-buddha/
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Reincarnation, karma, ghosts and other concepts are all inherited from Hindu and Indian culture.

If Buddha was born elsewhere... lets say Sweden for example. Would he still be teaching using Hindu concepts? Would he realise upon enlightenment "hey, we're all wrong, the Indians are right, I need to teach karma and reincarnation as well"?

I think Buddha had a high level of understanding other humans, so he knew that he would have to put everything in terms others would understand. Obviously karma was something everyone believed in and understood, so it was a good starting point.

Perhaps instead of teaching about reincarnation, samsara and Nirvana he'd say the ultimate goal is to reach enlightenment and go to Valhala?

Am I wrong? I'd like to hear from those who accept reincarnation as absolute fact.
    Hi Shift.Interesting question.
    If you believe that Buddha attained enlightenment and saw the nature of samsara,I am not sure that he would have taught any differently.
    He would have refuted the Norse point of view and still taught the 4 noble truths and 8 fold noble path.He would probably have taught that the nordic gods were subject to samsara.:)
    With metta.
    PS.Watch the word reincarnation-that is closely associated with Hinduism.Most buddhists reject the idea of reincarnation as it implies the transmigration of an eternal soul from one body to another. The terms rebirth or re becoming are more commonly used in buddhist practice and I was recently made aware that in the Vajrayana tradition the term emanates is used as opposed to reincarnates.
    With metta
  • edited October 2010
    nanadhaja wrote: »
    Hi Shift.Interesting question.
    If you believe that Buddha attained enlightenment and saw the nature of samsara,I am not sure that he would have taught any differently.
    He would have refuted the Norse point of view and still taught the 4 noble truths and 8 fold noble path.He would probably have taught that the nordic gods were subject to samsara.:)
    With metta.
    PS.Watch the word reincarnation-that is closely associated with Hinduism.Most buddhists reject the idea of reincarnation as it implies the transmigration of an eternal soul from one body to another. The terms rebirth or re becoming are more commonly used in buddhist practice and I was recently made aware that in the Vajrayana tradition the term emanates is used as opposed to reincarnates.
    With metta

Seconded.
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited October 2010

We dont know if they were inherited into Buddhism, essential to it or later additions imported after the Buddha's death.
    Obviously karma was something everyone believed in and understood, so it was a good starting point.

No, Karma is essential to Dharma. I can see why you might say ghosts and rebirth "don't belong" in dharma, but Karma is as essential and clear and indubitable as the four noble truths etc. (Im not referring to "magic" karma)

I expect he would have said the entire notion of Valhalla is wrong view and attachment to it leads to suffering and more delusion.

Mirror of Dharma versus Thor's Hammer?;)

Am I wrong?

Who knows?

I'd like to hear from those who accept reincarnation as absolute fact.

How about from those who don't need to accept it as certain because they are clear there can be no certainty upon the issue and even more clear that it isn't relevant to the practice of dharma, either way.

namaste
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2010
    OP: And yet who is to say that these things are not truth, and so the Buddha would only arise with their presence in that culture as conditions? If we are to accept the Buddha's teachings, we should be slow to abandon any of them without sufficient reason. Having doubts is natural, but to discard these simply because they seem foreign to us does not seem skillful.
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Babylon5crusade, thanks for the reply, the article was pretty interesting.

nanadhaja, yeah the 4 noble truths and the eightfold path are the core that would stay the same. However I was wondering whether he'd teach those other things I mentioned in addition to that.

I say reincarnation instead of rebirth to separate the rebirth of ideas, feelings, thoughts and things that lead to suffering from the rebirth of human beings, especially in different realms.

I can clearly see rebirth, I can't see reincarnation or literal rebirth.

You say Buddha saw the nature of samsara.
    Samsara, reincarnation and karma are discussed in the Vedas which were around before 2600 BC. They're basically the earliest known religious teachings.

You say he wouldn't teach any differently. Then samsara and rebirth (of human beings as ghosts/animals/what-have-you) would have to be pretty important. I find it hard to see how that would work.
    edited October 2010
    thickpaper, our views on the matter don't differ too much. Sure, I accept karma as another word for causality.

Cloud, I haven't discarded them. They're on the side somewhere, waiting to be relevant. However, recently they have started gnawing at me. =)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Yes, they will gnaw. Things that we can not internally believe, though we are asked to, tend to do that. Just don't give up hope that they will become relevant -- as the enlightenment process commences and the mind begins to transform, deeper and more complete understanding of the teachings unfolds to the mind's eye. I always think of it like math; you can't understand quantum physics without having gone through a process of learning the simple and then more complicated teachings, and so some things that seem simply incredible (impossible to believe given what you know) can in fact be true.
    edited October 2010
    Cloud, so then you see those things as a part of the teaching rather than a method or tool of the teaching?

The maths example implies that accepting and understanding reincarnation is a requirement for enlightenment. I think that karma would be more like 'BOMDAS', it's not required, but some people might need it.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2010
    It's all the same really; the teachings are a tool with proper practice. One picture broken down into its component parts, but it is the full picture that we wish to see in the end. The method of Buddhism is transformation of the mental patterns away from the cycle of suffering based on ignorance and clinging; only when free of these and the identification of a separate "self" can the mind see the selfless reality with clarity. I think we might be getting off on a tangent though.
  • ChrysalidChrysalid Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I completely disagree with you Cloud, you say that we shouldn't abandon the Buddha's teachings without sufficient reason, I say we shouldn't accept them without sufficient reason, and the Buddha said the same.

Accepting something because "the Buddha said so", is accepting something without thinking, without engaging the reasoning mind. For all we know, there are teachings the Buddha gave that were meant for that specific person at that specific time and don't apply to us and may even harm our practice were we to accept them.
    I'm reminded of the story of when the Buddha was approached by three men; the first, an atheist, asked him if there was a heaven and hell, the Buddha said yes. The second, a theist, asked him the same question and the Buddha said no, there is no heaven and hell. The third, an agnostic, asked him whether he thought there was a heaven and hell, the Buddha remained silent.

Taking everything the Buddha said as literal and fixed truth disallows for the fact that he taught each individual what they needed to follow the path as best as they could. By shaking up peoples pre-conceived notions, including those that they may hold regarding his own teachings, he frees the reasoning mind to look closer at what is really important.

Believing in rebirth after physical death will not lead to the ending of suffering.
    Trying to fathom the fruits of karma will not lead to the ending of suffering.
    Beliving in hungry ghosts, heavens, hells, gods, spirits, essences, magic, astrology and prophecy will not lead to the ending of suffering.

Accepting teachings without questioning will not lead to understanding and wisdom.
    Rejecting teachings without researching them will not lead to understanding and wisdom.
  • edited October 2010
    Chrysalid wrote: »

Accepting teachings without questioning will not lead to understanding and wisdom.
    Rejecting teachings without researching them will not lead to understanding and wisdom.
    This is the key point of the discussion.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2010
    There is no reason for disagreement. If we take refuge in the Buddha, the Dhamma and the Sangha then we accept the teachings. Only with sufficient reason should we say that any teaching is not-so. This is common sense. If we doubt, then we must explore further; if no answer is readily available, we must be patient and allow our progress along the path to illuminate the teachings more clearly at a later time. I agree with shenpen nangwa's evaluation, and I never meant that you should or need to believe... only that you should refrain from disbelief for the same reasons. There is a middle ground where we can accept what we do not yet understand; though we should question the teacher, we should not state that he is wrong before we have gained a clearer perspective.
    edited October 2010
    Cloud wrote: »
    There is no reason for disagreement. If we take refuge in the Buddha, the Dhamma and the Sangha then we accept the teachings. Only with sufficient reason should we say that any teaching is not-so. This is common sense. If we doubt, then we must explore further; if no answer is readily available, we must be patient and allow our progress along the path to illuminate the teachings more clearly at a later time. I agree with shenpen nangwa's evaluation, and I never meant that you should or need to believe... only that you should refrain from disbelief for the same reasons. There is a middle ground where we can accept what we do not yet understand; though we should question the teacher, we should not state that he is wrong before we have gained a clearer perspective.
    The middle ground for a teaching we do not understand is not acceptance, it is in recognising that we do not understand and so neither accepting nor rejecting it.

Should a teacher be asking us to accept on faith that which we do not understand. Or should they be teaching us methods to formulate our own understanding?
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited October 2010
    He might have enjoyed a nice lutefisk now and then though... And his name might have been Lars instead of Siddhartha :)
    edited October 2010
    Lol Mountains, great answer.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I think that the essentials of the 4NT and 8FP may have very well been unchanged, but the social/historical/geographical context may have affected some other aspects of the teachings.
  • edited October 2010
    Reincarnation, karma, ghosts and other concepts are all inherited from Hindu and Indian culture. ......

You left out "meditation" - which is also one of the Hindu/vedic concepts. If the Buddha was born in, say, Britain would sitting in the full lotus posture and meditating been a part of his teaching of the 4NT & 8FP? I guess, we'll never know what other method He would have employed. As for me, the suttas are like tools in a toolbox - just pick out the ones you need right now for the job on hand. Don't discard the rest, there mignt come a time when you'll need them. :)
    edited October 2010
    sukhita, I left it out because I have no trouble accepting it. However, Buddha wouldn't be Buddha without some form of meditation. Just about every culture practised meditation, it was just a little obscure sometimes. It can be as simple as observing a flame or the waves on a beach or listening to the rhythm of a drumbeat (for external meditation), or just observing the mind, heartbeat or breath (for internal meditation).

So yeah.... meditation is something I can see happening outside of India, since focusing on the heart and breath was sometimes used as a way to tell how much time had passed when a clock wasn't available. It just wouldn't have been known as meditation.
  • edited October 2010
    Shift,

I have some of the same questions you do. I'm very new, so I don't presume to have answers, just suggestions.I think you'll find similar questions arising when reading other ancient religious (?) texts. For example, Christians today struggle with texts that oppose homosexuality or the equality of women. My feeling is that we need to contextualize some ideas. We can't expect that conversations Buddha had in another time and culture to transfer entirely to our modern Western zeitgeist.

I had a professor at BU who claimed to be both Christian and Buddhist. He belonged to a group called Boston Buddhists. (Can't find it on Google) He said this group had been formed because the members believed that Westerners could never properly practice an Eastern religion.
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited October 2010
    My experience is that understanding is hastened and " to get on with it " contextualising is important .... there is a lot of " if's " that can be disgarded to leave the important points which we can then apply, a lot of the cultural add ons ( as I hear often hear people refer to them of late ) seem to upset many people.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    If the Buddha went against the trends that were prevalent in ancient India, such as ordaining Bhikkhunis (which was a revolutionary act) or teaching Anatta (many Brahmanical/Jain religions were based on a belief in an "atta"), then why would he feel the need to go with the trends in regard to rebirth if it wasn't true?

But this question itself is somewhat misleading, because the way he taught rebirth was not the same as the way it was taught in other traditions, so you could say he even went against the trends with his teachings on rebirth.
    edited October 2010
    GuyC wrote: »
    If the Buddha went against the trends that were prevalent in ancient India, such as ordaining Bhikkhunis (which was a revolutionary act) or teaching Anatta (many Brahmanical/Jain religions were based on a belief in an "atta"), then why would he feel the need to go with the trends in regard to rebirth if it wasn't true?

One possibility is that that he did "go against" rebirth but, in the centuries of division and split after his death, the notion became re-included in the doctrines due to any of various reasonable factors.

namaste
  • edited October 2010
    This was recently discussed somewhere on here. I highly disagree that you should doubt what the buddha says until it proves to be true. Sure, if you're not a buddhist you gotta make sure he knows what he's talking about, but once you become a buddhist you should put faith in his words, until they are proven wrong as cloud said. imo.
  • edited October 2010
    sukhita, I left it out because I have no trouble accepting it. However, Buddha wouldn't be Buddha without some form of meditation. Just about every culture practised meditation, it was just a little obscure sometimes. It can be as simple as observing a flame or the waves on a beach or listening to the rhythm of a drumbeat (for external meditation), or just observing the mind, heartbeat or breath (for internal meditation).

So yeah.... meditation is something I can see happening outside of India, since focusing on the heart and breath was sometimes used as a way to tell how much time had passed when a clock wasn't available. It just wouldn't have been known as meditation.
    A sort of mindfulness is being touted by psych. therapists. This variety never did anything for me. I think that's because the type therapists are promoting is a negative thing. It's 'Do this and you can control those troubling thoughts.'

But mindfulness has had a big impact on my life now. With Buddhism it's a major component of a path to enlightenment. My point is, I don't think you can pull out one Buddhist practice and say it's been practiced before / elsewhere. Like most religions, Buddhism is internally coherent. That is everything in regard to practice.
  • edited October 2010

Believing in rebirth after physical death will not lead to the ending of suffering.
    Trying to fathom the fruits of karma will not lead to the ending of suffering.
    Beliving in hungry ghosts, heavens, hells, gods, spirits, essences, magic, astrology and prophecy will not lead to the ending of suffering.

Well said and absolutely true Chrysalid. The Buddha's core teachings such as the 4 Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path are verifiable for ourselves. Nobody knows for sure about rebirth and all the rest, so its pointless to speculate - and some teachers affirm that the 'realms' can be taken as different mental states that we experience.

I may have quoted this before somewhere, but as far a rebirth is comcerned, this is what Ajahn Sumedho an abbot with the Theravada Thai Forest Tradition (who focuses very much on the here and now in his teaching) has to say about rebirth in his book "The Sound of Silence":

THE SOUND OF SILENCE ……PAGE 237
    <O:p</O:p
    “Rebirth,” like “reincarnation,” is a term that’s used generally referring to having gone through a series of different lives, and then there are various views about whether once you get reincarnated into human form where you can go, become a frog again or something like that.

I was teaching a retreat in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[IMG]http://newbuddhist.com/forum/ /><st1:country-region w:st=[/IMG]Australia</ST1:p</st1:country-region> at the Theosophical Society, where people’s views were split. Some held that once you made it to the human level you can’t slide back into a lesser animal one, whereas others insisted that you could. But the truth of the matter is, nobody really knows.
    The historical Buddha refered to previous lives in the scriptures and things like this, but for me these things are speculative. Maybe you can remember previous lives, but I have no such memory. So all I know is from the here and now. We’re talking about direct knowing rather than Buddhist theory or Buddhist doctrine.<O:p</O:p
    When Ajahn Chah taught about rebirth, he did so in the context of paticcasumappada, or dependent origination. He was talking about the kind of rebirth you can actually witness in daily life; birth is the beginning, death is the ending. How many rebirths have you gone through today, mentally ? What is born dies; what arises, ceases. Rebirth in this sense is actually provable.<O:p</O:p
    In the paticcasamuppada, through desire (tanha) comes attachment (upadana), and then attachment leads to becoming (bhava), becoming leads to rebirth, and rebirth leads to suffering. Jati (birth) is the result of grasping desire.

I quite like the idea of reincarnation and rebirth, on a theoretical level. I’ve no bias against it, but it is speculative and it’s conceptual.”<O:p</O:p

With kind wishes,

Dazzle
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Accepting that you do not under stand means the same thing as recognizing. Well it could. Jon Kabat Zinn uses the word accept in this manner in his teachings on mindfulness. Acceptance doesn't mean to be pleased (or rather trying and wishing we were pleased hehe) that we don't understand in this way of speaking. It means that we are not in denial that we don't understand.

I'm not rebuking Chrysalid for making a mistake because I can see how accept could be taken to mean 'embracing non-understanding'.

My purpose is to question the two parties that perhaps they in fact agree exactly with each other.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Believing in hell and rebirth can lead to enlightenment.

Traditionally it is used as a motivation to practice. My teacher when she first went to Tibet her teacher spent most of the time talking about the suffering of the hells. She asked him why he did this and he said that he wanted them to put a lot of energy into their practice rather than wasting time at the market or other frivolous things.

Now that she has come to teach in the west she doesn't teach this way. First of all a westerner doesn't believe in hells. Second even if you can get a westerner to believe in hell usually it will just depress them because they don't have a faith in the path to enlightenment. Rebirth is also part of that faith in enlightenment because you have a feeling that however pathetic dharma practioner you are that thats ok you have other lifetimes to improve. So in Tibet they have one teaching on rebirth to give them confidence and a second teaching to (hell/suffering, karma entangle, impermanence, precious birth) encourage them to turn away from samsara and give their practice a serious effort.

If buddha arises in the western culture he would teach the dharma that would be suited to bring a westerner to enlightenment.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2010
    So why would karma and rebirth be taught as psychological motivation if hypothetically they are lies. Like santa? Lies are bad karma right?

Ok first I will point out that I am saying hypothetically. I don't know if rebirth and karma are true I have no idea.

But a buddha or bodhisatva will sometimes create negative karma in order to get a positive result. Some people might not agree with this but its part of the bodhisattva path and I am gathering it extends to the idea of a buddha at least in the mahayana tradition.

The bodhisatva vows are held in higher regard than the 5 or 10 precepts and so the bodhisatva if they judge it is needed might break the precepts deliberately. They are only a bodhisatva and not a buddha so they are very careful to do this and generally avoid it. The reason being that they are not omniscient and they cannot foresee the results of the action fully.

An example could perhaps be that you would kill someone who was very harmful. This is a little bit dangerous because people can take on the idea that they are a bodhisatva and create some horrible karma just based on anger and delusion rather than a skillful action.

Even a bodhisatva who is very skillful is not free from the karmic consequence. The karma may still cause the bodhisatva suffering. Perhaps on earth and perhaps in a hell realm.

So this is how it could be that hell (a lie) is used as skillful means. Hypothetically of course. There may really be a hell. I think certainly there are many shades of suffering just in earth in this universe in 2010.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2010
    An example I thought of you might be familiar with is the movie dancer in the dark.

Selma is pretty much blind. She works in a factory and saves all the money she makes so that her son can get a treatment to prevent him from becoming blind. He has the same genetic disease as her but there is a treatment if caught in time.

Selma's friend a police officer finds out she has money. He comes over and I forget this bit but somehow he finds where it is stashed and takes it. Selma sees this (or hears) and somehow kills him, perhaps with his own gun I forget.

She is charged with murder. She doesn't even hire a lawyer because she wants the money to go to her son. She is executed.

Now I am not saying Selma was a bodhisattva but we can see that her 'attachment' to her money and her anger at the policeman is a little more complicated than just greed.

Its a musical otherwise it would make a pretty bad movie I think. Its also worth watching if you like artsy films or music. Bjork is the lead role of selma and also plays the music. Won first place at Cannes film festival I think.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-DAikmiIdE8?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-DAikmiIdE8?fs=1&hl=en_US&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    edited October 2010
    TheJourney wrote: »
    This was recently discussed somewhere on here. I highly disagree that you should doubt what the buddha says until it proves to be true. Sure, if you're not a buddhist you gotta make sure he knows what he's talking about, but once you become a buddhist you should put faith in his words, until they are proven wrong as cloud said. imo.

I think "doubt everything" must include his words?

I remember there are a fair few other places (Than just the KS) in the texts where the Buddha asks us to doubt even his own words.

My belief is that it isn't wrong dharma to doubt The Budda, it is wrong dharma to doubt the buddha and not extinguish those doubts.

namaste
  • edited October 2010
    thickpaper wrote: »
    I think "doubt everything" must include his words?

I remember there are a fair few other places (Than just the KS) in the texts where the Buddha asks us to doubt even his own words.

My belief is that it isn't wrong dharma to doubt The Budda, it is wrong dharma to doubt the buddha and not extinguish those doubts.

namaste
    Spot on. Doubt is considered a hindrance.
    edited October 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    Rebirth is also part of that faith in enlightenment because you have a feeling that however pathetic dharma practioner you are that thats ok you have other lifetimes to improve.
    And it's also a very dangerous doctrine. If you go to some parts of the world, Japan is one I believe, where they practice Pure Land Buddhism, you will find people who don't meditate or follow the 8-fold path because they have already prayed to Amida Buddha and secured their future birth in his Pure Land. Or so they think. They abandon dharma practice because they rely on being able to practice in future rebirths. That's not what the Buddha taught.
    So in Tibet they have one teaching on rebirth to give them confidence and a second teaching to (hell/suffering, karma entangle, impermanence, precious birth) encourage them to turn away from samsara and give their practice a serious effort.
    The Islamic philosopher-poet Rubia Basri once wrote;
    O God! If I worship You for fear of Hell, burn me in Hell,
    and if I worship You in hope of Paradise, exclude me from Paradise.
    But if I worship You for Your Own sake,
    grudge me not Your everlasting Beauty.
    Replace God with dharma and you some up my feelings quite well. I think if you're following the Buddha's path for fear of rebirth in hell or the promise of future chances to attain Buddhahood, then you're missing the point.
    If buddha arises in the western culture he would teach the dharma that would be suited to bring a westerner to enlightenment.
    Bingo!
  • edited October 2010
    And it's also a very dangerous doctrine. If you go to some parts of the world, Japan is one I believe, where they practice Pure Land Buddhism, you will find people who don't meditate or follow the 8-fold path because they have already prayed to Amida Buddha and secured their future birth in his Pure Land. Or so they think. They abandon dharma practice because they rely on being able to practice in future rebirths. That's not what the Buddha taught.

This is a pretty bad over-simplification and common misunderstanding of what Pure Land Buddhism is. There are definitely individuals who approach Pure Land practice in the way you describe but that is not the way the entire tradition functions. Pure Land Buddhism is a lot more sophisticated than this.
    Try reading some Alfred Bloom or Jeff Wilson if you are curious to learn more about the actual tradition.
    edited October 2010
    This is a pretty bad over-simplification and common misunderstanding of what Pure Land Buddhism is.
    That's true. But my point wasn't to bad mouth a tradition, but to point out via example the possible negative results of believing in literal rebirth/reincarnation, to juxtapose Jeffrey's positive effects.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Nonetheless that is the way it is traditionally taught in Tibet.

1. Suffering has infinite gradations

2. We are entangled in karma ie who knows what negative karma will ripen (see 4)

3. We have a favorable condition to practice the dharma right now. In short human. In long this is listed in depth in the Jewel Ornament of liberation all the qualities that we do have and the hindrances that we lack.

4. All of those favorable conditions are impermanent meaning that we can fall back into a deeper gradation of suffering in the future.

The teaching that we have infinite lives is based on the observation that we are not the skandas. We are the buddha nature. This nature can be observed directly in meditation according to my teacher. She is convinced from her own experiences that our true nature goes beyond birth and death. She calls this indestructible heart essence. In traditional buddhist teachings it is known as the clear luminous and unimpeded nature of mind. In other words self is not the skandas.

Therefore we don't need to get discouraged or feel hopeless.

There are other skillful means to despair such as recognizing that despair itself is just conditioned thinking. A skanda. Not the self.

It is this despair that I feel the islamic poet is truly referring to. If we are ruled by despair that is foolish. Yet indeed it is wise to practice while we have the favorable condition.

We experience this every time we meditate when we drift off. We are tempted to get caught up in despair and discouragement that we are bad meditators. When all we need to do is gently return to practice. And not worry!
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2010
    But your right you can turn gods into devils. You can waste your human life waiting for 'peace' 'retirement' 'to go to heaven' or whatever thing.

I am unconvinced that your portrayal of pure land buddhism is accurate. I hope a pure land practitioner will give another opinion.
  • edited October 2010
    That's true. But my point wasn't to bad mouth a tradition, but to point out via example the possible negative results of believing in literal rebirth/reincarnation, to juxtapose Jeffrey's positive effects.
    Oh, I didnt think that was your intention. Just wanted to clarify.
    edited October 2010
    She is convinced from her own experiences that our true nature goes beyond birth and death. She calls this indestructible heart essence. In traditional buddhist teachings it is known as the clear luminous and unimpeded nature of mind. In other words self is not the skandas.
    And would you agree with her that the self is this "clear luminous.. unimpeded nature of mind"?
    Is this true nature permanent or impermanent, according to your teacher?
    Jeffrey wrote:
    I am unconvinced that your portrayal of pure land buddhism is accurate. I hope a pure land practitioner will give another opinion.
    It's not an all-encompassing description, no. But you will find people who believe as I have described.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2010
    And would you agree with her that the self is this "clear luminous.. unimpeded nature of mind"?
    Is this true nature permanent or impermanent, according to your teacher?

It's not an all-encompassing description, no. But you will find people who believe as I have described.

I think she has said that it has never come into existence in the first place. It is not a skanda. So it is neither permanent nor impermanent. It is the unconditioned. The unborn.

She does say it is indestructible heart essence. That is a bit mysterious to me too.

There are many views on emptiness. One good book is Progressive Stages of Meditation on Emptiness. I might have some misunderstandings myself so it may be pretty useless to question me on this topic :( But if you are interested in the diversity of views on emptiness that book contains 1 Shravaka 2 Cittimatra 3 Sautantrika 4 Prasagika 5 Shentong. It is written by an author who is actively teaching the shentong view to his students but I think it could be a valuable perspective even if your root teacher is teaching one of the other 4 views. I experienced some suffering when I realized that there wasn't agreement in buddhism on how to view things. Eventually I came to see that from a relative standpoint any of the views presented could be of value in a persons life and that to study any of them was worthwhile.

Just in a nutshell you know about non-self. And you imagine that emptiness is the same thing which it kind of is. Emptiness (realization) would mean that you stop grasping onto body mind objects of mind feelings as I me mine. You see that they are just thinking (from one perspective).

The third turning of the wheel of dharma is that the buddha qualities such as love should emerge when you stop grasping. Otherwise you are just at a purely intellectual level. This could be perhaps the nirvana dharma seal? You could say.

Anyhow like I say I am just a knucklehead who has been reading a bit and meditating.
    edited October 2010
    Anyhow like I say I am just a knucklehead who has been reading a bit and meditating.
    I don't think you are a knucklehead. Thank you for expanding on how you see things, I'll have a look at the book you mentioned. :)
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2010
    This discussion reminds me of AN 4.111.
  • edited October 2010
    Jason wrote: »
    This discussion reminds me of AN 4.111.
    Are we to guess? Maybe you're trying to say we're all horses backends?:lol:
  • edited October 2010
    I just re-read the section of my book on rebirth. I've found that in religious thought one sometimes need to ask the question, "Why not" In other words, is there some compelling reason why this can't be true? In my estimation, there is not.
  • edited October 2010
    Buddhism didn't inherit anything from Hinduism because Buddhism is an older religion than Hinduism. Long before Hinduism came into existence, Buddhism is already there. Even before Shakyamuni Buddha came into existence in India, Dhamma already exist, it is just unrealized.
    Even before Shakyamuni Buddha, there was Kassapa Buddha.
    Even before Kassapa Buddha there was Konagamana Buddha..
    Even before... there was........
    Even before Tanhankara Buddha there are even 'older' Buddhas so numerous they are more Buddhas in Nirvana than the grains of sands in the Ganges River.
    An extract about Gautama Buddha/Shakyamuni Buddha from the Wikipedia:
    Now two years after his awakening, the Buddha agreed to return, and made a two-month journey by foot to Kapilavastu, teaching the dharma as he went. At his return, the royal palace prepared a midday meal, but the sangha was making an alms round in Kapilavastu. Hearing this, Suddhodana approached his son, the Buddha, saying:
    "Ours is the warrior lineage of Mahamassata, and not a single warrior has gone seeking alms"
    The Buddha is said to have replied:
    "That is not the custom of your royal lineage. But it is the custom of my Buddha lineage. Several thousands of Buddhas have gone by seeking alms"

All the Buddhas are only born when specific conditions are fulfilled such as continent, mother, father etc. One reason why Lord Buddha chose India as his birth place is probably because of the basic foundation of meditation many yogis had.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited October 2010

That is certainly an entirely possible way to look at it. It would seem that any effective Teacher must teach to the culture.

The only doctrine that I adhere to without question is karma, and this is karma as it is taught by Pema Chodron ...
    namely that karma is the sum total of all habits, thoughts, and feelings. That every time you do, think, feel, you are either reinforcing an existing imprint, changing an existing imprint, or creating a new imprint.
    From any standpoint, the sum total of our imprints, at the very least, affects how we view and interact with the world, and this in turn creates how the world interacts with us. I do not know how far into unseen areas this goes, but certainly, it operates on at least a minimal level ... if you are angry all the time, then you do indeed "live in hell". If you don't trust people, then people do not treat you in (as your perceive) trustworthy ways.
    edited October 2010
    FoibleFull wrote:
    The only doctrine that I adhere to without question is karma, and this is karma as it is taught by Pema Chodron ...
    namely that karma is the sum total of all habits, thoughts, and feelings. That every time you do, think, feel, you are either reinforcing an existing imprint, changing an existing imprint, or creating a new imprint.
    From any standpoint, the sum total of our imprints, at the very least, affects how we view and interact with the world, and this in turn creates how the world interacts with us. I do not know how far into unseen areas this goes, but certainly, it operates on at least a minimal level ... if you are angry all the time, then you do indeed "live in hell". If you don't trust people, then people do not treat you in (as your perceive) trustworthy ways.
    I also see it this way, you worded it very well. :)
  • edited October 2010
    the vikings probably would have just cut his head off lol... then buddha would have been in bardoworld & he'd be like "ahh DRATS i reached vasnajieke (norse word for nibbana) but now i was slain... hmm maybe i'll go rebirth in spain... try that place.... or maybe the carribean...!! " and then buddha would get so excited about having the option to travel anywhere he wants in the world that he justs goes to some island getaway and gets really stoned and teaches the dharma to some empty coconuts that he and a monkey drank up lol
  • edited October 2010

The Bodhisatta Deva Setaketu did not hastily give his consent to the supplication of the Devas and Brahmas who had come together from the ten thousand world-systems; in consonance with the tradition of previous Bodhisattas, he made the five great investigations as follows:
    (1) appropriate time for the appearance of a Buddha,
    (2) appropriate island-continent for the appearance of a Buddha,
    (3) appropriate country for the appearance of a Buddha,
    (4) the family into which the Bodhisatta (in his last existence) is reborn, and
    (5) the span of life of the Bodhisatta's mother.
    (1) Of these five great investigations, the Bodhisatta considered first: "Is the time right or not for the appearance of a Buddha in the human world?" The time is not proper for the advent of a Buddha when the life-span of human beings is on the increase from one hundred thousand years. Owing to such longevity, suffering caused by birth, suffering caused by disease, suffering caused by old age and suffering caused by death are not manifest. Veiled by their lengthy life-span, human beings tend to be oblivious of all suffering. The Dhamma sermons to be delivered by Buddhas invariably centre around the characteristics of impermanence (anicca), suffering (dukkha) and non-self (anatta). If Buddhas who appear when the life-span is more than one hundred thousand years give sermons on the nature of anicca, dukkha and anatta the people of that period will be perplexed, wondering what the Buddhas are teaching; they will neither listen to nor believe the sermons. Without listening or believing, human beings will surely wonder what the Buddhas' preaching is. They will never realize the Four Noble Truths and never achieve Nibbana. It will be fruitless to teach the non-believers the discourse on the three characteristics which would liberate them from samsara. Therefore, the period when the life span extends more than one thousand years is not the proper time for Buddhas to appear.
    The period when the life-span of human beings falls below one hundred years is also not proper for a Buddha's appearance because beings belonging to such a period abound in the defilements of sensual pleasures. The Dhamma sermons given to such people will not endure; in fact, they will fade away instantly just as the scribbling with a stick on the surface of the water will disappear, leaving no mark whatsoever. Therefore the short period of the declining life-span below one hundred years is also not the proper time for the Buddhas to appear.
    Only the periods ranging from one hundred thousand years life-span to one hundred years' life-span are right for the coming of a Buddha. These are the periods in which birth, old age and death manifest themselves easily, in which the teaching on the three characteristics and the teaching as to how beings can be liberated from samsara as understood easily and in which beings are not so overwhelmed by the defilements of sensual pleasures. Hence the appropriateness of the period for the most opportune arrival of a Buddha. Therefore, only the period below the one hundred thousand years' life span and the period above the one hundred years' life-span by human reckoning is the most propitious time for a Bodhisatta to attain Buddhahood. (Incidentally, when the Devas and Brahmas made their entreaty to Setaketu, the life span of human beings was in the one-hundred-year range.) Thus Bodhisatta Setaketu Deva came to see the right time clearly and decided, "This is the most propitious time for me to become a Buddha."
    (2) Then he investigated the island-continent which serves as the place for the appearance of Buddhas. There are four large island-continents, each surrounded by five hundred smaller islands. Of these, one, which is called Jambudipa as it is distinguished by a Jambu (rose apple or Eugenia) tree growing on it, was discerned clearly by the Bodhisatta as the only island-continent on which previous Buddhas had appeared.
    (3) Then he went on investigating thus: "This Jambudipa is extremely vast measuring ten thousand yujanas. Where did former Buddhas appear in this vast expanse of land?" Then he saw Majjhimadesa, the Middle Country, in Jambudipa as the place for the appearance of ancient Buddhas.
    (Majjhimadesa, the Middle Country, is demarcated on the east by the great sala tree east of the market-town of Gajangala; on the south-east by the river Sallavati; on the south by the market town of Setakannika; on the west by the Brahmin village of Thuna; on the north by Usiraddhaja mountain. The Middle country having the said five demarcations is three hundred yojanas in length and two hundred and fifty yojanas in breadth with the circumference of nine hundred yojanas. Regions outside this boundary are called border areas (paccanta). Only in Majjhimadesa do Omniscient Buddhas, Pacceka Buddhas, Chief Disciples, eighty Great Disciples, Universal Monarchs and powerful, wealthy Khattiya, Brahmana and Gahapati clans live and prosper.)
    In the Middle Country was situated Kapilavatthu, the royal city of the kingdom of the Sakyas. Bodhisatta Deva Setaketu decided that he should be reborn in that royal city.
    (4) Investigating the family in which the Bodhisatta in his last existence should be reborn, he clearly perceived: "The former Bodhisattas in their respective last existences belonged neither to the merchant class nor to the poor class. They were born only in a royal or a brahmin family, whichever is considered superior by the people of the period. At the time when people show the highest honour to the ruling families, the Bodhisatta is born in their class. At the time when people do so to the brahmins, he is born in one of their families. The present time witnesses the aristocrats being honoured by the people; I should be reborn in one of these families. Among them King Suddhodana of Kapilavatthu is a direct descendent of Mahasammata, the first elected primeval king, through an uninterrupted Khattiya lineage of pure Sakya clan. This King Suddhodana of pure, noble birth shall be my father."
    (5) Finally, he investigated as to who should be his mother in his last human existence. He clearly perceived: "The royal mother of a Buddha is a paragon of modesty and chastity; she never indulges in liquor or intoxicants; she has accumulated merit and fulfilled perfections throughout one hundred thousand aeons to become the mother of a Buddha. From the moment she is born as the future mother of a Buddha, she continuously observes and upholds the five precepts without any breach. Siri Mahamaya Devi, the Chief Consort of King Suddhodana, is fully endowed with all these qualities. Thus this Chief Queen Siri Mahamaya Devi shall be my mother." Then investigating further the remaining life-span of Siri Mahamaya Devi, he perceived clearly that she had only ten months and seven days more to live.

I think all Buddhas, past, present of future will be born in one specific continent:D.
    Source: http://www.thisismyanmar.com/nibbana/gotama/gotama01.htm
    it's quite interesting :D
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    What about when the Earth is destroyed and this universe comes to the end of its cycle? Will another universe begin with another planet similar to Earth for Buddha's to appear in?