Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

HHDL in Atlanta

edited October 2010 in Buddhism Today
Wasn't sure where to post, so I posted in current events.

So, I'm very new to Buddhism but I recently found out that His Holiness would be right in my back yard, well... two hours away but that's close enough to a back yard when you live in the country. :D I've never attended a teaching before, so I guess you could say attending a teaching to 4000 people from the Dalai Lama himself is like jumping in the deep end... but I tend to do that sometimes.

His teaching was on the Nature and Practice of Compassion, and I think I learned much while it also served to remind me of things I already knew. The day was altogether peaceful and I met many new people. I also heard Tibeten monks chanting for the first time, and that in itself was an interesting experience.

Did anyone else attend this or any of the other events? The monastery is also hosting a Tibetan Festival next month, which I may go to. I give you linkage: http://www.drepung.org/ I would have posted about all this sooner but I haven't had internet and I found out extremely last minute!

Comments

• edited October 2010
    I was at the same teaching. It definitely provided me with some things to think about. I particularly liked the question-and-answer session at the end. I also thought it was interesting to see the diversity of the people who attended. I don't think I saw anyone that I would've thought, "Oh, he's Buddhist...she's Buddhist." Well, except for the monks and nuns in their robes. Or the people wearing malas.

The bad parts for me were the sound issues (I had a hard time hearing, there was some kind of weird echo going on) and my lack of sleep (I only managed about 1 to 1.5 hours sleep the night before).

Oh, on a completely unrelated note...Doc Chey's Noodle House...very good food. :thumbsup:
  • edited October 2010
    My favorite Q and A was when the guy asked: "If you were mute your entire life, and you had only one moment to speak, what would you say?" To which HHDL replied: "What a silly question!" Then he laughed and paused, "I would say I'm hungry! Next question."

It was hard for me to hear as well. His accent, the echo in the auditorium, and the fact that he's not really that loud spoken were parts of that... also 4000 folks are bound to make a little noise, kids crying and whatnot, so I definitely feel ya.

I LOVED the diversity of people there! Such a beautiful thing. There were even a few Muslims as well as Jewish folks wearing yamakas. (sp?) It was very refreshing to see a whole buncha flavors of the same ice cream all together. I witnessed a small beautiful moment while standing in line... a monk went to greet another man and as they both deeply bowed he placed the white scarf around the man's neck. That day was filled with small beautiful moments like that. :D Walking around Emory was very inspiring as well, I remember thinking: 'I'll be back one day, except as a student!'

I ate at Starbucks because my funds were limited and I kinda knew their prices. I wanted to try Sprout though, it smelled delicious!

I understand the lack of sleep issue. I woke up at 2am to get there! I felt bad because I couldn't stop yawning the whole time haha.

I also liked the Tibetan bazaar... got some little things as reminders of the event and reminders of the teaching.