Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

No clinging and romance?

I want to talk about romantic love and Buddhism.

To my understanding, a goal in Buddhism is to love all equally correct? Also, it is important to not desire things we do not have, and not to form bonds with wordy things that could influence your emotions and feelings.

So, where does romantic love fit in? Is feeling a special feeling for someone something to be avoided? What of working towards romancing someone, desiring someone to think of you more than just a friend and trying to charm them into liking you back.

I think I had read that early Buddhist practice stressed no sexual relations of any kind, and that later practices eased it so one could be a Buddhist and have children. Still, I can't imagine how one could fall in love without someone without a certain amount of clinging to their presence. The Dhammapada stresses to not feel passion, isn't love by definition passionate?

Even if we don't feel clinging attachment, by engaging in a romantic relationship with someone we are attaching them to us, setting them up for the inevitable disappointment of worldly pleasures the Buddha warns us of. Also by romancing someone others who love our partner would be hurt as they wanted who we have, we create pain through romance.

tl;dr how does a Buddhist find, feel, and practice romantic love?

Comments

• MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited October 2010
    There have been several threads on this. I think the upshot is, loving without clinging is hard. Loving for the sake of loving, and not expecting anything in exchange seems to be a theme. I think if you search Google for the Dalai Lama's quotes on this subject you'll find some material.

The stuff about sexual relations has, as far as I know, never applied to lay Buddhists, only to monks & nuns. If no Buddhists ever had sex, and never had children, there wouldn't be any more Buddhists within a generation, so that doesn't make much sense. Especially since there are no evangelical Buddhists out there converting the infidels... There's a concept to ponder: Buddhist jihad! :)
  • edited October 2010
    There aren't "Buddhists", there are just people. Different people think different things.

I think that romance should be completely renounced.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I'm not technically a Buddhist but I'm going to post on this anyway. Its likely that the only way you will find love without attachment is to start with love then see what happens. Most people will will come up against all kinds of attachment, obsessing and pain of all kinds through relationship with a spouse and children. I know I did. Amazing pleasure and joy and satisfaction as well. Relationship exposed attachments I never knew I had! How will you know for sure that you have overcome attachment if you avoid situations where you might be exposed to it? It could be said that avoiding those aspects of life and concentrating on study, contemplation and meditation will result in greater realization sooner. Maybe. You could say that because you have had families countless times throughout eternity and you are still unenlightened that it hasn't been working. Sounds kind of delusional but it did cross my mind once or twice. No, I think spouse and family are a perfectly valid path to realization.-P
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Mountains wrote: »
    Especially since there are no evangelical Buddhists out there converting the infidels... There's a concept to ponder: Buddhist jihad! :)

I would make a comment about a specific sect but I won't.

But yeah there is supposedly some way to balance love and clinging, but it seems pretty difficult unless your SO is very understanding.
  • edited October 2010

Even if we don't feel clinging attachment, by engaging in a romantic relationship with someone we are attaching them to us, setting them up for the inevitable disappointment of worldly pleasures the Buddha warns us of. Also by romancing someone others who love our partner would be hurt as they wanted who we have, we create pain through romance.

I think this applies to those who doesn't practice meditation. Buddhists practice meditation to reinforce and still their mind and thus they won't be so affected by the suffering and pain of 'romantic attachment/love'.
    For many Buddhists romantic love is eventually replaced by loving-kindness as romantic love dies out over time.:D

The Dhammapada stresses to not feel passion, isn't love by definition passionate?

It is very hard to restraint passion. Even though it is restrained it cannot be stopped forever as it is not stopped at its roots. Perhaps the Dhammapada insinuate that we should eradicate passion at its roots not just restraining passion.
    Although restraint is a nessessary first thing we should do before embarking on the journey to find the 'roots'. :D
  • edited October 2010
    Coupling can be so beautiful though.

Don't lamas sometimes get a consort? It's a female partner who they meditate with and exchange harmonious energies with. The vajra and the ghanta.

I had this opportunity once with a very beautiful female. We were into the same things (Buddhism) but we were young and life took us in different directions. However... I still miss that connection.

You can't disregard the nature of the universe - male and female - the dot and the void - and so on.

Aren't even our bodies hardwired for it? They say that sexual energies go up all the way to our brow chakras. We are like 90% sexual or something.

Then there is the crown however... can't forget about that.

I totally understand the concept of letting go and transcending the partner but it's so sad... when it can be SO beautiful.
  • edited October 2010
    We must be strong. We must do the right thing. We must go one little step at a time. We can do it.

People have beautiful experiences on meth. For them it is sad to have to give it up.

The cause of all these things can be explained by the theory of evolution. Of COURSE humans are hardwired for sexual desire. Males are basically a self-transporting, self-maintaining sperm-injector, and females are basically a self-transporting, self-maintaining baby maker/feeder. the human genepool as a whole is basically the result of the death of that which did not reproduce.

Now. There is this funny thing we call consciousness and soul and stuff. Wanna make the best of it? It is difficult.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOr1DiZ18a8
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I think I am not an expert as a buddhist and as a man talking about the affairs of the heart.

But my teacher is married. A senior buddhist Trungpa commented on their union "its about time you got together".
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Questionful-As a former meth user in my teen years I can assure you that there is no beauty in it. Only the most serious craving and suffering that you can imagine. I have seen people die from it and destroy their health, To compare it romance is laughable in the extreme. If it weren't such an error.-P
  • edited October 2010
    Well I've never tried it so I guess I'm wrong. I'll just make my analogies with nicotine or alcohol from now on.
    But really there's no beauty in meth? I've heard people have amazing wonderful experiences with it. And I've been using it in analogies for a long time (shit lol)!
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I guess if you like running sores, rotten teeth, insomnia and psychosis.lol Maybe try for something that isn't addictive and destructive, but that might not pack the same punch.;)