Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism at work

edited November 2005 in Buddhism Today
I have the joy to work at a ropes/challenge course. At our course we have a 30 ft and a 50 ft. high ropes course in the trees and 23 low course elements where we help groups to learn ways to talk to each other and work together in a positive and productive way. I have been putting different teachings I have learned into practice at work, such as mindful breathing. So far this has worked very well for most groups. Does anyone have any more advice on buddhism at work? It helps me to be mindful in my own life when I can carry what I have learned to my job with me, and I would love any stories/ideas you all could share! :D

Mike

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2005
    Mike,
    there isn't one instant during anything you do that can't be connected to what you're learning! You can integrate Mindfulness and The Eightfold Path as an underpinning foundation to every thought Word and deed.
    When you greet people as they arrive, have the Buddha in your heart, and just know that you and they are the same.....
    When you talk to people and instruct them on the Health & Safety issues, do so with their well-being at heart.
    I teach Qi Gong, and my duty to my students is, on a Physical plane, to instruct them on how to stand correctly, how to distribute their weight, how to constantly adjust their posture, how to centre their 'Qi' (Chi, Ki, Energy......) how to relax, and how to trust their bodies....
    On a Mental plane, I lead them towards a calm and peaceful thinking process, bringing on a less troubled Mind, and a serene outward disposition.
    If I make the Effort to 'do it Right', The teaching transmits far more than all of the above. And bless them all, they bring me so much in return! I learn about me, about my own tolerance levels and self-imposed blinkered limits, and it teaches me what I have to work on, in myself!
    The above makes me sound like a pious, holier-than-thou cloistered nun - nothing could be further from the Truth! But when I remember what I used to be, and compare the current (work-in-progress!) result - It worked for me - !!

We'll all be discussing each aspect of the Eightfold Path and seeing how we can work it in, consciously, into every day..... This is going to be such fun, and what a learning curve!! ;)
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited October 2005
    As Fede said, I'm sure Mindfulness would be a key element.

Is there any fear involved with these lessons? Fear of falling. Focusing on "the moment" could be something you could incorporate. Also the mindfulness of a person identifying their fear or hesitancy at what they're about to do and how they perceive things "after" they've completed the task. The recognition of "perception".

-bf
  • edited November 2005
    Sorry it has taken me a bit to get back to you guys! There is a element of growth in one's "comfort zone" at my job which can make people deal with fear. In the team aspect of what I do we often talk about everyone as one team. Not just at school/work but neighborhoods, states, countries, and the world. I love to speak about interdependancy if a group is open. I often give the group the idea of a team breath if things get out of hand while working on problems. Helping others to be aware would really help in the high course and team building aspect of my job.