Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

classical music and impermanence

edited October 2010 in Arts & Writings
I made an observation a long time ago, and I'm hoping to find someone who could comment (either agree or disagree).

I'm a classical music buff. One thing about classical music that really interests me is the endings of pieces. Some composers, such as Bach and Mozart, can create extraordinary beauty and satisfaction in the ending.

This is interesting, because you would think, naively, that if you were enjoying a piece of music, that the ending would be disappointing! I mean, if it's enjoyable, then why would you want it to end?

Now look at what I have learned from Buddhism. All things end. On one level, I really don't like that. I struggle with it by habitual nature. But on another level, I long to "let go" into that truth.

My theory is that classical composers (in some pieces they compose, not necessarily all) have found a way to resonate with this deep wish to "let go" into the truth of annica. They make beauty from the ending. What does that mean? I think it means that they tap into a deep truth and guide us into that truth with equanimity. We not only accept the ending, we are literally satisfied by the ending.

By the way, this doesn't mean the composers knew they were doing that. Their brains found a way to make beauty, as all artists do.

Mike

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Interesting, I find that too. I absolutely love classical music. When it ends, I don't feel like "Oh I wish it didn't end" it's like you said they end it so beautifully for me I can just let it go. For hours and hours on end the music rings in my head and I hum the tunes. I feel so calm and relaxed.

I think it's safe to say musical geniuses like Mozart and Chopin in their lifes would of gotten to a sense of enlightenment, I don't mean enlightenment like Buddha but I think you get what I mean? I've always said to my friends and family, Music more so classical is like the language of the soul. It transcends way beyond what words can give us.

It's probably why I've always got a pair of earphones in my ears and don't speak much :]

D
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I like your analysis, and I understand you're speaking from what you know, but it's definitely not just classical music!
  • edited October 2010
    Thanks. Oh, the most amazing example I know of making beauty from the ending---specifically in a way that taps into the truth of annica---is the ending of the Goldberg Variations by J. S. Bach. The second-to-last movement is very warm--feels like a fond farewell with great love (even though we know that is the last time we hear this particular music in the piece). And the final movement is an expression of the Void from which all things arise and into which all things end. At least that's how I hear it.

Another amazing piece is the Ave Verum Corpus by Mozart. That's the last piece of music I want to hear before I die. (If I have any choice in the matter.)

Mike
  • edited October 2010
    I think that great artists relate to their material with great wisdom, analogous to the way a Buddhist master relates to the "material" of the six senses, moment-by-moment. Shinzen Young says that he's met artists who have become enlightened through their art. I have observed that other artists are attached to their art---they may be relatively enlightened in the way they relate to their art, but they can't relate to the six senses, moment-by-moment, in the same way; thus, they are dependent on the art to obtain a spiritual experience. This easily leads to attachment.
  • edited October 2010
    Uhm, interesting I never thought of this but as student of classical guitar I do enjoy a good ending, be it somber, peaceful, powerful, strong or weak. In fact I just came back from my weekly class and this certainly is a great thread to savor and think about...

It's great to play a piece and work towards the inevitable end and if played from the heart there is even a short aftermath of a few seconds where after you play the final note, there is a moment or two of total emptiness where you finally let go, look up and communicate (non-verbally) with the audience to let them know that you are indeed done.

Speaking of impermanence one of the interesting parts of playing music is how impermanent it is. Unlike a painting, sculpture or other works of art, performance arts such as music are unique in that whatever you offer to the audience, to others is gone just as quickly as it is perceived, leaving simply a ghost of memory or feeling behind. And even with today's technology of digital recordings, youtube etc... nothing can replace the feeling and experience of watching someone perform, especially when it involves classical music.

Mike, thanks for this thread as I'm sure it will pass through my mind from time to time as work towards and finish up the ending (especially) of some of my favorite, melancholic and personal pieces that I play. :)

By the way if you are interested in checking some of my recordings those of some great friends feel free to stop by my youtube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/olarte99

Please note thought that I'm not the guitarist in the guitar & flute duets, they are good friends of mine and I just hosted their videos. I play the tango (a year or so ago which is towards the bottom of the list) with my sister and have some other assorted pieces on the channel. I will be uploading some newer videos in the near future of my current playing abilities....