Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Similarities between Buddhism and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy

edited November 2010 in Philosophy
Seven years ago, I was treated for major depression and anxiety using Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. Two years ago, I started learning Buddhism. I am amazed by the similarity between the two.

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is based on the fact, that how we think affects how we feel. For example, irrational thoughts, like everyone must like me will cause us to feel upset, every time, we confront a person who reacts negatively to us, we feel upset. Cognitive Behavioural therapy also operates on the idea, that it is our unrealistic expectations that causes much suffering. For example, I must be rich, I must always have many friends etc. Cognitive Behavioural therapy is about thinking realistically and rationally.

Buddhism says the same thing, but in a different way. Buddhism uses the word, desire instead of expectations and Buddhism too is about thinking realistically, that is, impermanence, law of causes, conditions and effects, suffering etc. Buddhism emphasizes wisdom which is similar to rational thinking promoted by Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.

What are your thoughts on this?

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited October 2010
    There are some similarities in the psychological models of the two practices, but the actual practice of Buddhist meditation is very different from that of CBT or the like. CBT revolves around talking one's self out of a given belief or thought pattern by "thinking realistically and rationally," and in so doing, ending the emotional disturbance the thoughts are creating. In my experience, this is not very effective, because it puts the cart before the horse. The emotion proceeds the thought pattern, and emotional life is much more powerful than intellectual life. In the end, one's intellectual landscape is far more shaped by one's emotional landscape than the other way around. Buddhist meditation doesn't give primacy to control over any aspect of mental experience. Instead, it teaches one to rest in the experience without reactivity.
  • edited October 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    There are some similarities in the psychological models of the two practices, but the actual practice of Buddhist meditation is very different from that of CBT or the like. CBT revolves around talking one's self out of a given belief or thought pattern by "thinking realistically and rationally," and in so doing, ending the emotional disturbance the thoughts are creating. In my experience, this is not very effective, because it puts the cart before the horse. The emotion proceeds the thought pattern, and emotional life is much more powerful than intellectual life. In the end, one's intellectual landscape is far more shaped by one's emotional landscape than the other way around. Buddhist meditation doesn't give primacy to control over any aspect of mental experience. Instead, it teaches one to rest in the experience without reactivity.

You make a good point. Since, in this world, no two people are exactly alike, some people will respond well to Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, other people will require Buddhism or other methods. I agree with you, that our emotions often precedes the thoughts, however, there will be exceptions to this. For example, people are different, different circumstances etc. Also, a criticism of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is that it tends to focus on our own self thoughts rather our relationships with others. The cause of some emotional problems tend to come from our relationships. Buddhism is useful because it teaches us to let go of our thoughts and not be influenced by them. After all, they are just thoughts. They cannot hurt us, useless we allow them to.
  • edited October 2010
    you nailed it concisely, 5B.
  • edited October 2010
    I've also felt some overlap between CBT and some aspects of Buddhist philosophy, though less so in terms of actual practice. However, the equanimity and diminution of unexamined reactivity (knee-jerk responses, thoughless reactions) and so forth are not unique to either CBT or Buddhism. You'll find those values expressed in Pyrrhonism, Epicureanism, Taoism, etc., too. Proponents of those thought systems also praised equanimity and dispassionate examination of phenomena as means to liberation, ataraxia, wisdom, and the like.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Seven years ago, I was treated for major depression and anxiety using Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. Two years ago, I started learning Buddhism. I am amazed by the similarity between the two.

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is based on the fact, that how we think affects how we feel. For example, irrational thoughts, like everyone must like me will cause us to feel upset, every time, we confront a person who reacts negatively to us, we feel upset. Cognitive Behavioural therapy also operates on the idea, that it is our unrealistic expectations that causes much suffering. For example, I must be rich, I must always have many friends etc. Cognitive Behavioural therapy is about thinking realistically and rationally.

Buddhism says the same thing, but in a different way. Buddhism uses the word, desire instead of expectations and Buddhism too is about thinking realistically, that is, impermanence, law of causes, conditions and effects, suffering etc. Buddhism emphasizes wisdom which is similar to rational thinking promoted by Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.

What are your thoughts on this?
    The Buddha knew the mind and brought these teachings to the world 2500 years ago. It is amazing to me that western psychology is just now starting to embrace some of eastern thought. One would imagine that the study of the mind began just with Freud. Five bells makes some very good points regarding the difference between the two.
    Yours in the Dhamma/Dharma,
    Todd
  • edited November 2010
    The Buddha knew the mind and brought these teachings to the world 2500 years ago. It is amazing to me that western psychology is just now starting to embrace some of eastern thought. One would imagine that the study of the mind began just with Freud. Five bells makes some very good points regarding the difference between the two.
    Yours in the Dhamma/Dharma,
    Todd

I agree. Despite limited resources such as no technology, text books, internet etc, the Buddha was able to discover how the mind works. It is also interesting that a cause of depression is unhealthy selfishness, hence, confirming, the Buddha's discovery that unhealthy selfishness is the cause of suffering.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I agree. Despite limited resources such as no technology, text books, internet etc, the Buddha was able to discover how the mind works. It is also interesting that a cause of depression is unhealthy selfishness, hence, confirming, the Buddha's discovery that unhealthy selfishness is the cause of suffering.
    The Buddha was the bomb!!:D
  • HumbleHumble Explorer
    edited November 2010
    The only thing I would like to add is that thinking does often precede emotions. The type of thinking that often precedes negative emotions is much more subtle than the "I must have X, if I do not have X I will not be happy."

It has allot to do with our inner parent and our inner critic.

Our inner parent is all of the limitations and negative thoughts our parents imposed on us and we adopted subconsciously.

Our Inner critic is all of the negative thoughts and limitations we have adopted through our experience in the world.

Much of learning to cope with emotional problems has to do with modifying how our inner critic and inner parent work through becoming aware of what they are telling us and arguing against the negative criticisms and limitations by creating positive arguments. Over time our inner critic can actually be turned into a positive voice that reassures us. Much of this thinking takes place on an almost subconscious level so we need to be very mindful of our thoughts to see it and change it.

Edited for spelling
  • edited November 2010
    Humble wrote: »
    The only thing I would like to add is that thinking does often precede emotions. The type of thinking that often precedes negative emotions is much more subtle than the "I must have X, if I do not have X I will not be happy."

It has allot to do with our inner parent and our inner critic.

Our inner parent is all of the limitations and negative thoughts our parents imposed on us and we adopted subconsciously.

Our Inner critic is all of the negative thoughts and limitations we have adopted through our experience in the world.

Much of learning to cope with emotional problems has to do with modifying how our inner critic and inner parent work through becoming aware of what they are telling us and arguing against the negative criticisms and limitations by creating positive arguments. Over time our inner critic can actually be turned into a positive voice that reassures us. Much of this think takes place on an almost subconscious level so we need to be very mindful of our thoughts to see it and change it.

Well said. Judith Beck, a contributor to Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, said this, "just because we think something, does not necessarily mean it is true". This also applies to our inner critic. I agree that to overcome our inner critic, we need to be like lawyers and argue against the inner critic. One diffference between Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and Buddhism, although, there is some overlap, is that Cognitive Behavioural Therapy focuses on the content of the thought, whereas Buddhism through mindfulness and meditation concentrates more on watching the thoughts rise and fall and not attaching to them.
  • HumbleHumble Explorer
    edited November 2010
    If anyone is interested in learning more about psychology and how we can take steps toward forming healthier thought patterns and behaviors I highly suggest "I never Knew I had a Choice" by Corey and Corey. It is a text book for my Psychology of Adjustment class but uses allot of Buddhist references. The Coreys are heavily influenced by famous Buddhists such as HHDL and Thich Nhat Hanh. Though it is a text book it is very well written and easy to understand.

Here is a link to the 9th edition. I use the eight edition myself you can probably find older editions that are fairly affordable.

http://www.amazon.com/Never-Knew-Had-Choice-Explorations/dp/0495602299/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1289095013&sr=8-1