Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A taste of enlightenment?

edited October 2010 in Philosophy
Has anyone had an experience that brought you to another realm of existence, perhaps a taste of enlightenment?

Walking into the kitchen practicing mindfulness, I suddenly was transported into, what I can best describe as a different realm. Everything became crystal clear and as I looked around at objects, they no longer needed names to identify them. I had extreme wisdom. It was a feeling of complete bliss!! It lasted about 20-30 seconds, and then I was back to the world of stress and suffering! But it gave me motivation to continue practice, because, if this was a taste of what Enlightenment will bring, TAKE ME!!!

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Truker wrote: »
    Has anyone had an experience that brought you to another realm of existence, perhaps a taste of enlightenment?

Walking into the kitchen practicing mindfulness, I suddenly was transported into, what I can best describe as a different realm. Everything became crystal clear and as I looked around at objects, they no longer needed names to identify them. I had extreme wisdom. It was a feeling of complete bliss!! It lasted about 20-30 seconds, and then I was back to the world of stress and suffering! But it gave me motivation to continue practice, because, if this was a taste of what Enlightenment will bring, TAKE ME!!!
    I think those are called something like "clarity experiences", or because they were like crystal, I think "experience about emptiness". Now, it is important to know that having an experience doesn't mean comprehension, not necessary wisdom (it has too much connotations).
    An advice as a practitioner, I recommend you not getting attached to any kind of experience, don't go to practice wanting to "revive" that experience you had while you were walking into the kitchen.
    Oh, also and the most important thing: Tell this experience to your teacher. Maybe it is related to the practice you are doing, maybe your winds are moving and reorganizing and you got this kind of experience, who knows.
    But try not to get so speculative with it as to think "is this what a Buddha experience? Is this what I need to attain? Was I a Buddha for 2 seconds?" That is just misleading for your own practice.
    Remember what the Buddha said to its disciples: I got to the state I am because I was never contempt with what I had obtained, I always continued on searching. Remember also the mantra of the Heart Sutra: Gone, gone, gone beyond, gone utterly beyond. Hail to the awakening (I'm not so sure about the exact translation tho). Gone; that's because it departed from our natural and common perceptions and understandings, can not be put on words, nor in the limited conventional mind, because it is beyond any kind of experience and/or idea. :P Hope it helps.
  • edited October 2010
    Hi Truker,

As Alfonso has already said, don't become attached to experiences or want to relive them.

They come and go and one shouldn't pay too much attention to them. Just let it go and continue practising. Teachers used to tell me this too when I spoke to them about different experiences I had during meditation or during other practices I was given to do.

I suggest that if you don't already go to a meditation class or Buddhist centre that you have a look to see what's available in your area.

Kind wishes to you,

Dazzle

• IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited October 2010
    tayata om, gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi soha.
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited October 2010
    You had a momentary awakening... what is termed as a non-abiding awakening. Once that has happened you cannot go back. You may have more, hopefully leading to an abiding or permanent awakening.
  • edited October 2010
    I think it's either "RIGPA", or instantanous realization of sunyata/emptiness.
    I think it's said to be seeing the "son" light (a bit of the enlightenment) while real enlightenment is the "mother light".

Some say we can see this mother light and gain real enlightenment in the bardo of death.
    I'm not yet understand it... :S

----

Many years ago I had similar experience.
    After reading some Zen comics by Chai ZiZhong I gain such "realization beyond words" and start to control the weather literally.

It's like Neo controlling the matrix world.
  • edited October 2010
    I think you guys are speculating just too much, it could easily be just a shamata experience with a little more clarity than normal. Also it could be some kind of wind movement, dunno.
    Stop speculating so much about if it is Rigpa or instantaneous clarity, and all these kind of high words and concepts, let his teachers check him and not by a forum. It could give the wrong idea.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited October 2010

Walking into the kitchen practicing mindfulness, I suddenly was transported into, what I can best describe as a different realm. Everything became crystal clear and as I looked around at objects, they no longer needed names to identify them.
    It was a feeling of complete bliss!! It lasted about 20-30 seconds, and then I was back to the world of stress and suffering! But it gave me motivation to continue practice, because, if this was a taste of what Enlightenment will bring, TAKE ME!!!
    good

I had extreme wisdom.
    if i were you, i wouldn't say this
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Uppeka-Why shouldn't he say that?
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited October 2010
    robot wrote: »
    Uppeka-Why shouldn't he say that?

because there is a danger
    that
    many would jump at him and would say it is not real
    and
    he would have to prove it but nobody ever be able to prove it to another

since
    it is the beginning and not the end
    there is a possibility
    one would fall into the trap of argument[/quote]
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Sorry, the International Caps Lock Day has already come and gone (22nd of October).

There's no link between someone not believing you and having to prove something. It's not like everyone believed the Buddha.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Uppeka, whats with the caps? Maybe you didn't notice that the previous seven posts were reasonable responses. A new guy expresses his feelings about his experience, the least you can you can do is explain to him why you think his post is wrong. No? No need to yell at me about it.lol See, I asked, you explained, I responded. No argument.-P
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited October 2010
    robot wrote: »
    Uppeka, whats with the caps? Maybe you didn't notice that the previous seven posts were reasonable responses. A new guy expresses his feelings about his experience, the least you can you can do is explain to him why you think his post is wrong. No? No need to yell at me about it.lol See, I asked, you explained, I responded. No argument.-P

sorry dear, i am extreamly sorry for the caps lock

do not take it personally, i didn't yell at you or anyone else

:)
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Apology accepted!:)
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Also, sorry for spelling your name wrong twice:o-P
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited October 2010
    words, words, words,
    what else?
    he he he!!
  • edited October 2010
    I asked if anyone had an experience like this. Not for an analysis, or to start an argument. Where is your compassion, Buddhists, anyhow??? But I love you anyhow.
  • edited October 2010
    I asked if anyone had an experience like this. Not for an analysis, or to start an argument. Where is your compassion, Buddhists, anyhow??? But I love you anyhow.
    My compassion is in posting what I feel is more appropriate in this case. If you don't want to read/listen opinions that goes against your expectations, then why to post? Just to reaffirm your ideas? Then, I think it is not a good idea to post in a forum where there are buddhist, knowing that buddhist are pretty good for starting debates and arguments (and I love that) for the sake of truth.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Where is your compassion, Buddhists,

if the mindfulness present now, it is possible to see where the compassion lies

when there is no mindfulness there is no 'highest wisdom' to see anything clearly

not seeing outside and seeing inside it is easy to find where the compassion is
    :)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2010
    OP: There are many experiences one who actively practices will have; try to meditate on your experience to better understand.
  • edited October 2010
    upekka wrote: »
    because there is a danger
    that
    many would jump at him and would say it is not real
    and
    he would have to prove it but nobody ever be able to prove it to another

since
    it is the beginning and not the end
    there is a possibility
    one would fall into the trap of argument

I agree that he shouldn't say that he attained some sort of special wisdom, as it is...unwise. There is no special wisdom. For you to think it's wisdom is to conceptualize it, and to conceptualize it is to make it something that it's not. It just is.
  • edited October 2010
    Buddhism is about striving for insight into our human condition, not about the content of our human experiences, however wonderful or terrible they may be. This seems hard to swallow, because we are hardwired to look for pleasure. But you can kind of accept it intellectually, because you know from previous experience that any experience, no matter how miraculously elevated it may seem, is subject not only to slow erosion, but also the law of diminishing returns. Two or three weeks of divine and heavenly bliss, and you start to get sick of it. Strange but true.
    We have to try and look beyond experience, to the 'mechanisms' behind experience. It's the door we came in, and the door we need to use to go out, if you want to. All experience will one day pass. But how did it happen in the first place ? What gave rise to it ? That's Buddhism right there. Now if your mind answers you with a cosmic experience, you just say to yourself, yes, sure, very enjoyable, but that's not the question I asked. And then ask your question again, this time knowing full well that the mind is not going to divulge its deepest secrets just like that.