Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Silence Meditation

ChrysalidChrysalid Veteran
edited October 2010 in Arts & Writings
Did anyone else in the UK catch a documentary the other day on Silence Meditation?

It's a Christian (Jesuit) form of meditation, but obviously the similarities to Buddhist meditation are apparent. It followed a group of people as they tried to incorporate silent periods into their everyday lives, also as they went on a Jesuit retreat.
I found it quite interesting how each person reacted to the experience of the retreat, and also how so few managed to find time in their daily lives, not even an hour! I was also quite struck by the similarities between the how the Jesuit monks behaved and how Buddhist monks behave. I think perhaps this is what the Dalai Lama meant by people finding the best in their current religion, rather than converting to Buddhism.

Comments

• BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Years ago, Dan Rather interviewed Mother Teresa for, I believe, Time Magazine (perhaps Life Magazine?).

After she described all the prayer during her day, Rather asked: When you pray, what do you say to god? Mother Teresa replied: I don't say anything, I listen.

Rather then asked: Well then, when you pray, what does god say to you? She replied: He doesn't say anything, he listens.