Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

self deception

ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
edited October 2010 in Buddhism Basics
This may have been, or almost certainly has been covered before on this forum, but I tried searching it and came up empty handed. I have this quote I found that emphasizes my query.

''On a much deeper and more subtle level do the six sense sources create a misapprehended pointing to an illusory reality, by mistaking a sensation for a true reference to a world really existing "out there" independent of mind''

I understand everything is merely a perception of reality, electrical signals sent to the brain, and I am also aware that we will never be fully aware of the true nature of reality itself. But why does this matter? Say for example there is a hole in the path, I know not to go into it as I may fall and hurt myself. Yet this hole does not exist, I do not exist, how can I even get hurt? Well, I would have normally said it does not exist in the way we think, but after reading some quotes from the buddha himself, it stated that the self does not exist at all.

Comments

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    No the Self does not exist the way it appears...
    Conventionally we have a self that functions in that way, But anything other then the mere concept of it you cannot find anything that is Idenpendantly existant, Like dreams for although they appear they do not exist the way they appear.
  • edited October 2010
    It depends what you mean by self. If by self you mean something which is separate from other selfs, than you're correct we don't have yourself. If by self you mean a true essence, we do have a self.

And why are you conceding that you will never know the nature of reality? Enlightenment is possible. If gautama could do it without a buddha, we can most definitely do it with the buddha.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I was under the assumption that even if we were to reach a state of mind totaly awoken then we are free from attachment, suffering and delusion. But we would in effect still be perceiving the world around us with our 5 senses, thus not knowinf the true nature of reality.
    Ob example to how I come to this thought, if you think we live in the 3rd dimension, we see a cross section of the 4th dimension, (time) with each microsecond that passes. If we were to live in the 4th dimension, we would see things as long streaks from birth to death etc. Maybe this is looking at it from a wrong point of view.. I do not know lol.

Anyway, I know if I point to my arm or my chest and say that is me, it is not. It is skin that has blood, bones and muscle underneath, I understand this. But if there is a true self, how does it help to walk around saying/thinking, 'that does not exist in the way I see it'? because that is what I do as I do not have a girm understanding here, I simply know these things do not exist in the way I perceive them, but how is this important?
    edited October 2010
    Ignorance Is deep rooted on the surface we can grasp that things arent as they seem be we automatically cling this way, This Self-grasping Ignorance we cling to resulting in delusion and suffering, It is important as continued meditation will cut the trunk of Self grasping which is the root of delusion.
    edited October 2010
    I see, well thank you for that, it does help to put things in a better perspective :)

Can we use an example and deconstruct it a moment.. Lets say that your father or mother dies or leaves home when you are a young person. The attachment we have to this person causes us to suffer as when they are gone we still cling for them to be around. If this is ignorant and delusional, how should we see the nature of a parent in our life?
  • edited October 2010
    I see, well thank you for that, it does help to put things in a better perspective :)

Can we use an example and deconstruct it a moment.. Lets say that your father or mother dies or leaves home when you are a young person. The attachment we have to this person causes us to suffer as when they are gone we still cling for them to be around. If this is ignorant and delusional, how should we see the nature of a parent in our life?

Good question, and it's something i've thought of. This is purely my perspective, but how I look at it is that you love everyone equally, but certainly you will be more invested in someone who plays a bigger part in your life, like a parent. I don't know if I described what i'm trying to say very well. lol.
    edited October 2010

Not recognising the way things are causes suffering, We have attachment to things that cause us suffering, The loss of loved ones causes us suffering, Why ? It is not an Inherant quality of a loved one to cause suffering, But It is the only purpose of delusions that arise in our mind, Non attachment does not mean one should not associate with speak to, or love others, But to really recognise that things come an go, That our loved ones, ourselves and others having been born In samsara possess aggregates that will always dissolve, That having been born into samsara we are like a naked person living in a thorn bush, No matter which way we turn we shall always be wounded by circumstances or events or our own minds. Attachment is not love...Nor should it be confused with love, Love is a positive mind that wishes others only happiness and arises from wisdom, Attachment is a mind that arises from delusion and functions to cause other things peoples and objects to become like part of our body so that when inevitabley the time of parting comes it will be like having our limbs torn away, Very painfull and hard feelings of loss. The trick is realize that love for others need not be mixed with attachment. Loved ones come and go Death comes for every samsaric being, We should see others with love in this life and love in future lives, Since beginingless time we have been reborn over and over it follows that such all living beings at some stage have been our kind parents therefore it is only because of changing appearance we do not recognise them, With a mind of love for them wish them well in all places of wandering, and with this mind, develop love for an ever extending audience, seeing their sufferings generate great compassion, Wishing them freedom from suffering, Be motivated to do something about it, and with this motivation realize Emptiness of all phenomena remove all obstructions of the mind and there imprints and become a Buddha to help them all, With these minds of virtue we can never be unhappy and all sorrow that arises from delusions shall quickly cease when we generate these minds. Therefore practise training the mind :)
    edited October 2010
    Thank you guys for clearing this up some what, it has helped for sure :D