Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

So a friend hit a deer on the way to work today...

MountainsMountains Veteran
edited October 2010 in General Banter
Fortunately she was okay. The deer, not so much. Her comment was, "I wasn't injured - God is good!"

What about the deer? Was "God" pissed off at the deer so he made it step out in traffic and die a violent death?

I don't get it...

Comments

• robotrobot Veteran
    edited October 2010
    One of the downsides of being a deer I guess, you don't know what traffic is. Probably beats the heck out of getting torn up by a cougar or a wolf. Even dieing of old age probably sucks for a deer with no doctors or pain relief medication. I once found a small one that had been hit by a car. It was intact except that its lower leg was attached by a thread of skin. I tackled it then killed it with a stick. I felt sad for it but it was all I could do. We ate it.-P
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I just found it funny (sad) that "God is good" for her, but not for the deer :)
  • edited October 2010
    If she is Christian she certainly doesn't have the same view of sentience as you likely have. She probably feels that non-human beings are of little consequence.
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited October 2010
    If she is Christian she certainly doesn't have the same view of sentience as you likely have. She probably feels that non-human beings are of little consequence.

Whilst I agree the Christian understanding is different in relation to sentience than the Buddhist teachings, I also do not think it can be assumed that a belief that life other than human is of no consequence to all Christians ( also not suggesting that this is what without_beliefs is necessarily saying above ).

I can see that the human birth offers many opportunities that other forms of life do not and this is a view I have held whilst practicing both as a Catholic and a Buddhist practitioner.

Maybe her comment was more in relation to a belief that in the specific nature of the accident it seems unlikely to her that she wasn't also killed or injured and she sees it as an intervention/God's will that she wasn't.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited October 2010
    andyrobyn wrote: »
    do not think it can be assumed that a belief that life other than human is of no consequence to all Christians

I do not think you can find any Christian theologian propounding the idea that any nonhuman life is of any real significance. In classic Christian thought only the human being partakes of the Image (mind) and Likeness (heart) of the creator-God. Indeed, in the Book of Genesis, Humankind is made Lord and Master of all the animal kingdom.

Jewish and Christian theology have not been good stewards of this planet or its resources, making everything inferior to human whims and enterprise.

In this matter, Buddhist thought is much more environment-friendly and conducive to harmony and a more balanced appraisal of the value of the different species.

We may not notice this is our daily lives, but I submit that without Buddhist thought there might not be the track record there is of trying to preserve species and habitats.
    edited October 2010
    Nirvana wrote: »
    I do not think you can find any Christian theologian propounding the idea that any nonhuman life is of any real significance. In classic Christian thought only the human being partakes of the Image (mind) and Likeness (heart) of the creator-God. Indeed, in the Book of Genesis, Humankind is made Lord and Master of all the animal kingdom.

Jewish and Christian theology have not been good stewards of this planet or its resources, making everything inferior to human whims and enterprise.

In this matter, Buddhist thought is much more environment-friendly and conducive to harmony and a more balanced appraisal of the value of the different species.

We may not notice this is our daily lives, but I submit that without Buddhist thought there might not be the track record there is of trying to preserve species and habitats.

Agree with you Nirvana.

My point was that the comment made is focused on herself rather than the deer, ( which many people would/could be, I think, especially after being in a nasty car incident, irrespective of religion - Christian or not ) and as a Christian it is indicative of a belief in being saved by God rather than indicating a belief that God disregards the animal.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    edited October 2010
    The reason why she may have these views is because of this:
    <dl><dt>Genesis 1.26 </dt><dd> And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. </dd></dl>
    Animals and Humans are not equals in Christian eyes. Animals were created to serve us and we get to control them. God has no pitty on the deer because the deer was created to serve man.

Richard Dawkins and Douglas Adams said it best:
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6ygqJ5ZA5ss?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6ygqJ5ZA5ss?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited October 2010
    And I thought this was a thread about road kill. I was thinking about posting some recipes.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Turns out its about religious sectarianism.
    edited October 2010
    The reason why she may have these views is because of this:
    Animals and Humans are not equals in Christian eyes. Animals were created to serve us and we get to control them. God has no pitty on the deer because the deer was created to serve man.

Richard Dawkins and Douglas Adams said it best:
    <EMBED src=http://www.youtube.com/v/6ygqJ5ZA5ss?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01 width=425 height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></EMBED>

Agree, she may hold very rigid beliefs about animals and life based on such scripture - my point is not all Christians do - lol ... the comment God is good would not necessarily be related to the deer's experience !!! that is all ...
  • HanzzeHanzze Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Well I guess the deer will not suffer any more of it. What about her and you?
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited October 2010
    We should remember that your friend has had a shock.She probably is greatful that an accident like this,which could well have been a lot worse has left her unscathed and her faith in god is what she is attributing this to.
    About a year ago I was in a 3 vehicle pile up while going somewhere to collect my manager.I phoned him to let him know what had happened and his first question was
    "are you alright"?When I said I was ok he replied thank god for that,then asked about the occupants of the other vehicles.Did he care less about the others?Perhaps.He does not know them and therefore the attachment is less.Just a thought.
  • HanzzeHanzze Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Nice to meet you Ven. nanadhaja :-)
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Things like this happen. When I hit a deer and it looks like it will not survive the impact, I give it a coup de grace to ease its suffering. Hitting a deer is no one's fault... not even the deer's. It is just one of those unfortunate incidents and it must not be dwelled upon.
  • edited October 2010
    Why not dwell on it? It sounds like a perfect way to reflect how your own life can change from happy and fed in one instant to broken and dead in the next. We are no different than deer in that regard.

I just typically ask when I hear comments like your friend made, "Yes, but why did God put the deer in your way? Is he trying to kill you?!"
    edited October 2010
    karmadorje wrote: »
    Why not dwell on it? It sounds like a perfect way to reflect how your own life can change from happy and fed in one instant to broken and dead in the next. We are no different than deer in that regard.

I just typically ask when I hear comments like your friend made, "Yes, but why did God put the deer in your way? Is he trying to kill you?!"

Agree karmadorje - it is a reminder for us all.

As has been identified in this thread, maybe as the friend has just been involved in a car accident the timing would not be beneficial for such a comment to her - although in some relationships it may be.
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Poor deer. Poor dear. Poor car. So much thinking and postulating about god consciousness. Car hits deer. Lightening strikes tree. Earthquake destroys buildings. Rain causes floods. Drought causes famine. Cancer kills loved ones. Where is god in this? In a story about why these things happen. A story that is intended to remove the suffering of misunderstanding. Delusion. Fantasy. My dog poops outside. Dog is good.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Mountains wrote: »
    Fortunately she was okay. The deer, not so much. Her comment was, "I wasn't injured - God is good!"

What about the deer? Was "God" pissed off at the deer so he made it step out in traffic and die a violent death?

I don't get it...

People and Animals Die, Some naturally others not so. Theres no way to tell when Death is coming, We've created the Karma continually in life after life to Inhabit different forms each being born out of Delusion and Inturn the form of the being has contaminated aggregates caused by delusion, These are Subject to arising and Dissolving what the former is the cause of the later. Karma is Gross, Subtle, and very Subtle, We can see the Gross In everyday actions that have immediate effects, Subtle effects may take years or even lifetimes to ripen but if we know the causes we can potentially anticipate the effect, Very subtle karma is something that can only be seen by a completely clear mind of enlightenment, actions that where performed aeons ago have the potential to ripen upon the mental continuum in the future when the causes and conditions come together for the actions effect to be experienced, An action is never wasted.

What caused the Deer to die ? The Impact of the Car.

What caused the Car the kill the Deer ? The person behind the wheel.

What caused the person Behind the wheel to drive the Car that Killed the Deer ? The Intention to go Driving.

What caused the Intention to Go Driving ? There are many different reasons why the intention arose, But ultimately why the Intention arose was because previous minds had determined to do something that would require subsequent actions in order for the original intention to be fulfilled.

Everything that transpires isnt a result of some man in the clouds throwing tantrums, But rather action and consequence, Although we do not currently possess a clear mind to see the full circle we can do so eventually.

The Universe is often ascribed to working In mathmatical precision, There is always a cause and and always an effect.

Finding a first cause In a circle of action and effect is almost nigh Impossible its not even a feat Buddha was able to perform.