Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Book Suggestions for all! (mostly for me):P

shanyinshanyin Novice YoginSault Ontario Veteran
edited November 2010 in Arts & Writings
Hello!

I've currently decided I'm going to buy some books as soon as I get money!! yay!!

Anyone have any suggestions? (non-fiction)

Comments

• edited October 2010
    I think there's a similair thread.

I think you should try something like Gigapedia.com
    (and decide for yourself if it's good, morally wrong, or so so)
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Two that have served me well:

The Dhammapada - Gil Fronsdal translation and annotation
    In the Buddha's Words: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon - Bhikkhu Bodhi
  • edited November 2010
    Decision Points by George W. Bush....oh wait, you said you wanted non-fiction.
  • edited November 2010
    *does rimshot for shenpen nangwa*

I have found two books by the Dalai Lama to be quite inspiring: Ethics for the New Milennium and The Art of Happiness (the latter is actually written by a cognitive psychologist in collaboration with His Holiness).
  • edited November 2010
    Artemis wrote: »
    *does rimshot for shenpen nangwa*
    I'll be here all week.
  • aHappyNihilistaHappyNihilist Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I don't know why you'd want non fiction, the best fiction is often a better description of reality and truth, i've just finished reading alot of Dostoevsky, Crime and Punishment and Notes from the Underground, and am now reading The Brothers Kazmarov. I don't know if Dostoevsky ever heard of Buddhism but his main characters are generally people living lives exactly opposite to the ideals of buddhism and suffering terribly for it.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited November 2010
    "Old Path White clouds" by thich nhat hanh is really good! It's really not a "study" book, but more of a story book of the Buddha during his lifetime. Where he went, the people that he met, his family and monk friends, all the people that started following him, etc. It's a pretty big book but it's a very easy read. And it's a true story. :)