Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Interview a Buddhist?

edited October 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Hello everyone, I am currently writing a paper about the buddhism and if someone could answer a couple questions I have that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1. What are some stereotypes others form of you?
2. How do you deal with such stereotypes in your communication interactions?
3. What sort of prejudice or bias have you experienced in your personal life and in the workplace?
4. How have you coped with such prejudice?
5. When was a time you gave off a good impression when communicating with others who were culturally dissimilar to you?

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2010
    That actually sounds like a negative interview. Maybe try focusing on what is, instead of stereotypes.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited October 2010
    1. Don't know, don't much care. It rarely comes up that I'm Buddhist anyway.
    2. I don't.
    3. None, except that people assume because I'm a middle aged man in a hospital, I *must* be a doctor. My reply is, "No m'am, I work for a living. I'm a nurse." :)
    4. Not an issue.
    5. When I told them I didn't like George Bush.
  • edited October 2010
    "No m'am, I work for a living. I'm a nurse."

Har.
  • edited October 2010
    petegall wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I am currently writing a paper about the buddhism and if someone could answer a couple questions I have that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1. What are some stereotypes others form of you?

Me or Buddhism, that we dwell on suffering

2. How do you deal with such stereotypes in your communication interactions?
    Depends if the person is receptive I try to explain, if not I nod politely and smile.

3. What sort of prejudice or bias have you experienced in your personal life and in the workplace?

None... I actually have experienced more acceptance and smiles from random strangers simply by being open, smiling and looking at people in the eye...

4. How have you coped with such prejudice?

No need to copy, I'm happy with who I am and other people's views\perceptions of me don't affect me in a negative way. I try to smile either way.

5. When was a time you gave off a good impression when communicating with others who were culturally dissimilar to you?

When I smile, treat everyone nicely, and stay calm and open.

Buddhism has brought peace and calm to my view of others and how they see me. Not that I care or don't what they think but rather that I accept their views of me as they are without having a direct impact of who I am, or how I feel either way.

good luck on your project :)
  • edited October 2010
    Cloud wrote: »
    That actually sounds like a negative interview. Maybe try focusing on what is, instead of stereotypes.

I understand what you mean. But we are currently studying stereotypes of cultures and religions in my class, and I was assigned Buddhism. Thanks though.
  • edited October 2010
    I do not experience any stereotyping and prejudice because the people around me know virtually nothing about Buddhism. But I they do pick on other religions... :)
  • edited October 2010
    Funny thing about Buddhism is that we blend in quite well... and since Buddhism is not a religion per say, once can be Jewish, Christian etc and still be a practicing Buddhist.

And I have found that most people that follow Buddhism talk very little about it to others as it's hard to explain briefly what it is and what it's not. It's more of a very personal journey than anything else.

So because of this, I have not gotten "pegged" as a Buddhist and it's never been an issue in my short experience of following my practice.
  • edited October 2010
    What sort of prejudice or bias have you experienced in your personal life and in the workplace? (Because of being Buddhist) anything you can think of..
  • edited October 2010
    I don't exactly walk around at my workplace with a big sign on my chest that say's "Hey, I'm a buddhist!" so I think the question is kind of silly. Maybe it would be more pertinent if there was some outward quality that was required to be a buddhist like tattoos or something, in which case the question might be valid.
  • edited October 2010
    I'm not trying to offend anyone here. Sorry my questions are weird, I'm just posing them as my professor did to us. I was assigned Buddhism and I was posed those 5 questions. Thank you for all of your input, the paper is almost done and will be turned in tomorrow.