Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What would Buddha do in a fight?

Today, or 2,500 years ago, what would Buddha have done if in a fight (a fight that could not be stopped with words) Would he simply do nothing? Defend himself but not hurt the attacker? This question has popped in my mind several times but I just havn't asked it until now. I am referring to an attacker who attacks for the sake of pleasure.:hrm:

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2005
    Knight of Buddha,

It is said that the Buddha's kamma was such that he could not be harmed physically, except for one single occasion when his foot was injured by his cousin Devatta, but, what the Buddha taught to his monks I imagine he too would practice:

"Monks, even if bandits were to carve you up savagely, limb by limb, with a two-handled saw, he among you who let his heart get angered even at that would not be doing my bidding. Even then you should train yourselves: 'Our minds will be unaffected and we will say no evil words. We will remain sympathetic, with a mind of good will, and with no inner hate. We will keep pervading these people with an awareness imbued with good will and, beginning with them, we will keep pervading the all-encompassing world with an awareness imbued with good will — abundant, expansive, immeasurable, free from hostility, free from ill will.' That's how you should train yourselves."

- Taken from the Kakacupama Sutta

Jason
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2005
    Here, also, is the chapter of the Dhammapada entitled "Violence":

129. All tremble at violence; all fear death. Putting oneself in the place of another, one should not kill nor cause another to kill.

130. All tremble at violence; life is dear to all. Putting oneself in the place of another, one should not kill nor cause another to kill.

131. One who, while himself seeking happiness, oppresses with violence other beings who also desire happiness, will not attain happiness hereafter.

132. One who, while himself seeking happiness, does not oppress with violence other beings who also desire happiness, will find happiness hereafter.

133. Speak not harshly to anyone, for those thus spoken to might retort. Indeed, angry speech hurts, and retaliation may overtake you.

134. If, like a broken gong, you silence yourself, you have approached Nibbana, for vindictiveness is no longer in you.

135. Just as a cowherd drives the cattle to pasture with a staff, so do old age and death drive the life force of beings (from existence to existence).

136. When the fool commits evil deeds, he does not realize (their evil nature). The witless man is tormented by his own deeds, like one burnt by fire.

137. He who inflicts violence on those who are unarmed, and offends those who are inoffensive, will soon come upon one of these ten states:

138-140 Sharp pain, or disaster, bodily injury, serious illness, or derangement of mind, trouble from the government, or grave charges, loss of relatives, or loss of wealth, or houses destroyed by ravaging fire; upon dissolution of the body that ignorant man is born in hell.

141. Neither going about naked, nor matted locks, nor filth, nor fasting, nor lying on the ground, nor smearing oneself with ashes and dust, nor sitting on the heels (in penance) can purify a mortal who has not overcome doubt.

142. Even though he be well-attired, yet if he is posed, calm, controlled and established in the holy life, having set aside violence towards all beings — he, truly, is a holy man, a renunciate, a monk.

143. Only rarely is there a man in this world who, restrained by modesty, avoids reproach, as a thoroughbred horse avoids the whip.

144. Like a thoroughbred horse touched by the whip, be strenuous, be filled with spiritual yearning. By faith and moral purity, by effort and meditation, by investigation of the truth, by being rich in knowledge and virtue, and by being mindful, destroy this unlimited suffering.

145. Irrigators regulate the waters, fletchers straighten arrow shafts, carpenters shape wood, and the good control themselves.

- Dhp X: Dandavagga

Jason
  • edited October 2005
    He would lay ten types of smackdown on all their candy asses! Gimme a Hell Yeah! :-)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2005
    I don't know about the Buddha, but when Bodhidharma came from the West to China, he started Shaolin Monastery and Kung-Fu!

Of course, the earlier comment by Elohim is right. He didn't have the karma to have someone just walk up and assault him. If your mind is perfectly at peace, then the world is too.

Palzang
  • angulimalaangulimala Veteran
    edited October 2005
    since we are not enlightened yet,i think we should defend ourselves if someone wants to hurt us.we could fight back or practice the highest technic of all tactics,run for your life(flee)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Palzang wrote:
    ...................... He didn't have the karma to have someone just walk up and assault him. If your mind is perfectly at peace, then the world is too.

Palzang

Now doesn't that raise some interesting points?

• edited October 2005
    I would think of this concept, Buddha was at such peace with himself that any attack directed at him would seem useless. Until at last the attacker would realize that peace is the only way. This is the way of many martial arts. To deflect an attack in a way that it is deemed useless and to be able to do so until the attacker decides that there is another way. This could take great skill but more over than skill is the need for mindfullness and wisdom in such a situation.
    Mike :D
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited October 2005
    I don't know.

Buddha was just a man. He died just like all people do. There was nothing mystical about him.

If death could reach him - pain could reach him.

I figure he'd probably get the crap knocked out of him - if someone wanted to do so. But, I don't think he would suffer as we do though. After seeing images of Buddhist priests (that may or may not have been enlightened - I don't know the entire story surrounding each individual priest) setting themselves on fire and calmly sitting there while they burn up - I'm sure their and Buddha's inner control and peace would have taken over.

But then, what do I know?

-bf