Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Pray flags in a dorm room

zpwestonzpweston Explorer
edited October 2010 in Buddhism Today
Today after much research and reading I hung my pray flags in my dorm room, sadly not outside where they are meant to be. The biggest reason for that is because my dorm room is the only place I feel I can keep them from just being torn down and thrown away. I have hung them diagonally from my ceiling to a shelving unit connect to the wall. I have hopefully done it with the right intention, but my question is; do you think that these wonderful symbols can have the same effect inside as out, or do you think they may have some different effect, hopefully a good one? Just let me know what you think. May you be peaceful.

Comments

• NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited October 2010
    do you think that these wonderful symbols can have the same effect inside as out, or do you think they may have some different effect, hopefully a good one?

I don't know what it is supposed to do honestly. Hopefully you don't have a roommate like me, though. Boy, I would be pissed if that thing is hanging across the room. :-P
  • zpwestonzpweston Explorer
    edited October 2010
    The pray flag is on my side only and does not interfere with his stuff. The point is for the wind to pick up the prayers that are put into the flag and transport them through the air to all beings.
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Maybe occassionally a breeze will blow through the room and will have the effect you are hoping to achieve.At the least people entering your dorm may ask what they are all about.Now thats what I call a opening.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    If you have a balcony or something you should hang them outside...The purpose of them is that there being auspscious writing or Deities upon them that then good karma living beings accumulate by perceiving them will benifit them immensley. I know little about them other then they look nice and there is great benifical intention behind them :)
  • edited October 2010
    There are others tantric-gadgets for inside areas, like writing mantras in the top of the entrance. Which mantras? I don't know, but I've seen them in papers in the house of a practitioner that I know. I should have asked him hahaha
  • edited October 2010
    Nirvana wrote: »
    I was unaware that Tibetan Prayer Flags were only supposed to be flown outdoors to catch the wind.

Are you sure about that?

I seem to remember seeing them indoors in some temples, if only in nooks and crannies. I definitely use them indoors where I live.

I hope I haven't made some sort of sacrilege or something. Now you've got me wondering.

Lung-ta, wind-horse, or "horse of the wind", or something like that. So yeah, the idea is to grab the wind and send the blessings to the 10 directions. But I don't think it is like OMG IF IT IS NOT LIKE THAT, THEN HERESY!
  • edited October 2010
    You can read up on the various mantras and amulets and their significance here:

http://www.tendrel.za.pl/amulety.htm

Alfonso I think the ones you seen are the Vimala mantra. :)
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I deleted my post above, in disgust, before I realized that it had been quoted in the quite unfair lampoon two posts above.

Those who know me never take my words at their mere face value.

I believe that a more respectful tone is expected on a site that holds the teachings of the noble Lord Buddha in esteem. Characterizing the views or even scruples of others with scant evidence is hardly a gentlemanly pursuit. One might even try to think beforehand that maybe offense might be taken by others regarding their level of understanding —or even intelligence.

Nobody is expert at everything, except some of the very young who by nature seem to be knowing of everything.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I don't know about inside/outside... but I feel that you should be able to hang flags in your space. Chances are if your room mate is mature he/she will respect your flags provided your relationship is ok. If not it may be because they immature perhaps they blame the flags for no chicks cominging to the room I am just kidding but thats what was on the mind of most of my fellow collegians haha.

Regarding the inside/outside I have a shrine shelf which I am meaning to improve and read about shrine areas and peoples experiences in setting up a space where they encourage practice I guess. But I've had this shrine set up for a long time very rough. A card from someone I respect in spirituality. A painting I did when I was longing to be able to do more things and imagining this wonderful bird with colors and a beak reminding to wake up. A bowl of water. Candles are a bit dangerous don't leave them when you are not in the room imho.

So I said all that stuff just to show that you can make a gesture in your spiritual practice that has a meaning to you but that at the same time might not be exactly what is in temple X. Nonetheless the established traditions are interesting to learn from.

In spiritual practice there is always a fear of 'doing it wrong'....
  • edited October 2010
    zpweston wrote: »
    my question is; do you think that these wonderful symbols can have the same effect inside as out, or do you think they may have some different effect, hopefully a good one? Just let me know what you think. May you be peaceful.

Hi zpweston,

Prayer flags are primarily meant to be hung outside....but its absolutely fine to put them indoors too.

See 'Where is the best place to hang the prayer flags' at the link

https://www.tibetanprayerflag.com/FAQ.html

Kind wishes,

Dazzle

• BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I recently attended the creation of a sand mandala. The monk had set up an altar in the
    room, and also hung prayer flags (see photo below). I figure if the Tibetan monk saw
    no problem with it, then you're probably OK.

DSCN1040.jpg
  • zpwestonzpweston Explorer
    edited October 2010
    My windows have been open since I put them up and thankfully the winds have been blowing. My little flags are just flapping away.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited October 2010
    It should be fine. even if they are inside that does not mean there are no air currents in the room. ;)
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited October 2010
    zpweston wrote: »
    My windows have been open since I put them up and thankfully the winds have been blowing. My little flags are just flapping away.

Great. That does mean you'l have to have a prayerful attitude while there, though, I think.

May the sound of your flapping flags further transport you along your way to joy.
  • edited October 2010
    How about these alternatives:

1. Loop mantra audio file (such as om mani padme hum) in your room. Some sentient beings can pick it out and the sound energy might propagate to surroundings.

2. Print sheets of 2 sided A4 papers full of small worded mantra and keep in your room.