Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist Colloquialisms

JoshuaJoshua Veteran
edited December 2010 in General Banter
Hey, I was curious if there's any Buddhist colloquialisms or idioms used by anybody in the world. I'd imagine they'd only be popular in Buddhist dominant countries (or perhaps at some sanghas?). Still I didn't know if there's any Sino-Tibetan language speakers on these forums who might have some insight.

Examples of Christian ones in English are: Goddamn, what in the hell, Jesus (Christ), on God's green Earth, only God knows, etc.

or the Roman pagan 'by Jove' or the Anglo-Saxon/Norse pagan 'to bring down the hammer'

Thank you so much if anybody can think of anything!

Comments

• MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Well by dharma, y'know I don't recall ever having heard one, come to think of it. "Buddha damn it" doesn't have quite the same ring to it, does it? :)

Maybe we could start a trend? What in the living nirvana are we talking about? What would Buddha do (or Who Would Buddha Bomb?)??
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2010
    :D
  • edited November 2010
    Sometimes I like "for the love of Buddha!"
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited November 2010
    WWBD is used.
    Also spelled out.
  • edited November 2010
    "Karma's a bitch" is a common one here, though I think that's referring to the comeuppance interpretation of "karma".
  • edited November 2010
    Not Buddhist, but very Thai is the ubiquitous "same same, but different" It seems to mean different things in different contexts.
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited November 2010
    One hand clapping (the sound of)

Not two, not one.

If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him.

Do not speak, unless it improves on silence.

Form is emptiness, emptiness is form.

Namaste.

Namo Buddhaye.

Tashi Delek.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited November 2010
    AFAIK, "Amitabha" was used as a greeting between Buddhists at one point in time in East Asia
  • edited November 2010
    "And so it was said"
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited November 2010
    My daughter ( 14 years old ) said to me earlier this week that the response " whatever " that has been popular amongst her peer group could be understood from a Buddhist perspective ... I suggested if it was said with a smile then "yes" - loved her response ... " actually whatever ... ummm :scratch: is better, mum " :)
  • edited November 2010
    "suck my mind"
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I like WWBD that Nirvana posted, but a thought on that and on WWJD... bit high of an ideal. What each of these would do would be perfect themselves. How about "what would Buddha (or Jesus) want you to do?"
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2010
    Ask yourself.
    Who else could the Buddha be?
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    May I encourage anybody to create some clever ones. I've proven to be of no use to myself.

I think it'd be cool to remove all the Christian connotations in English that I use on a daily basis, like 'God!' or 'Jesus!'. If anyone could think of something pragmatic, that'd be awesome. Plus, it'd spark good conversation with strangers.