Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

WRITING IN ALL CAPS EQUALS YELLING

NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `  South Carolina, USA Veteran
edited November 2010 in NewBuddhist.com
Just tonight I deleted a post I made that had already been quoted (Not like you couldn't make all that up, though.)

The reason I did so really was due to a response using a line with ALL CAPS.

Don't people realize that when they do that it is perceived as hollering or as being irrational or angry or intolerant or dramatic?

Don't they realize that this can and usually does give offense, if it is any kind of response to anything anyone else said or wrote?

I'm sure most of you already know this, but unfortunately it's not clear that you care.

You know what that means?

You're not Bodhisattvas! (Notice that I was kind enough not to put this in ALL CAPS.)

Comments

• RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Any other poor posting habits you care to mention, Sir?
  • edited October 2010
    i use all caps for emphasis not yelling. and i usually clarify that in the post. i dont like italics
  • jj5jj5 Medford Lakes, N.J. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited October 2010
    i've been working behind a computer for a few years now and i still find myself using all caps. (usually out of laziness to hit the cap lock key)
  • edited October 2010
    LOL WHAT R U TALKING ABOUT? I NEVER DO THAT AND AM ALWAYS REALLY CALM.

GRR WHY AM I ALWAYS SO ANGRY?
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Seriously —all sarcasm and joking aside— people's perceptions are important.

Why choose to give offense to anyone, unless you're an antiBodhisattva?

The website of many colleges and junior colleges make the very statement I made above, namely that writing in ALL CAPS is perceived as shouting or yelling and posts should not be made employing them.

The point is, why turn off your audience or even take the risk of being completely misunderstood?

I hope that the traditional pattern of posts made in good faith will continue here. I know others have found fault with me before for objecting to needless chatter about others, but I hope the unfriendliness I seem to note on this site is more a figment of my imagination than a reflection of the intentions of others.

If not, I think there's a way I can find just not to visit here anymore. NewBuddhist used to be a smaller, more intimate space and is now turning into something more resembling a rather busy train station. I guess with all its traffic, some bumps are to be expected, but they need not be rude bumps.
  • edited October 2010
    Nirvana wrote: »
    The point is, why turn off your audience or even take the risk of being completely misunderstood?

CAPS is an irregular way to look at something and takes up loads of space. The letters are irregular shapes; it's offensive in the same way as wearing jam jars over your eyes is (makes reading more annoying for some unknown reason).

Besides I can think of other things like overquoting. OP makes a long post, seconds later the whole thing is quoted with 'i agree' stapled to the bottom. I've already read the first post and now have to use my mouse wheel wasted ten seconds of my life to scroll past to the punchline: LOL

It's not a perfect world, and so far everyone has done really well to NOT use caps. ;)
    edited October 2010
    To clarify further:
    I'm not referring to mere inconveniences or niceties here.

I am talking about unfortunate events, sorry communications, and propensities for misunderstanding, confusion, and perhaps even some grief, no matter how little it might be.
  • edited October 2010
    i dont know dude, i think maybe youre skins too soft. when i read caps i never take offense, unless the actual words are offensive.
    edited October 2010
    John83 wrote: »
    i don't know dude, i think maybe youre skin's too soft. when i read caps i never take offense, unless the actual words are offensive.

Further clarification:

I'm referring to form here: in this case bad art. Yes, just bad art.

It is simply not artful expression to be sabotaging your message simply by employing unskillful means.

As for your thin-skinned (or soft) remark, I don't think so. In my field you have to have pretty tough skin to survive.

Speaking of thin skin, though, I see a lot of people here manifesting knee-jerk reactions over mild trifles. Rather than waiting and reflecting, they jump right in with ad-hominem attacks and such —sometimes quite bitter and scolding, even making up lists of faults that their "opponent" must surely have. Now, where does that come from, but hurt feelings or feeling insulted. In most cases, I'll bet you'll find no offense was even contemplated, let alone intended.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Imagine if Latin wasn't a dead language. A forum with Latin as its primary language would be a hoot. :)
    edited October 2010
    I really need to brush up on my Latin. Any takers? Now, it's been awhile, so nothing too deep.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Most I ever knew were a couple of phrases I memorized. I tried learning it once (self-study) but got pretty bored with it. Thinking of it now, that's about the biggest waste of time I can readily imagine... learning a dead language for no good reason. I'm not even sure why I wanted to ever learn it, maybe I thought it was cool. Much rather spend some time conversing in a language I know and that people can understand! And then of course I find Buddhism and no one in my life (offline) knows what the heck I'm talking about anymore... *incoherent babbling*
    edited October 2010
    Latin is the loveliest language I know. I keep up with my New Testament by means of that graceful tongue.

I'd even write that in ALL CAPS if someone disparaged it.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited October 2010
    SOMETIMES IT IS CATHARTIC AND PROPERLY EMPHATIC.

OTHER TIMES IT IS USEFUL FOR ADMINS TO TROLL MEMBERS WHO ARE SENSITIVE ABOUT IT.

;)
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Nirvana wrote: »
    Latin is the loveliest language I know. I keep up with my New Testament by means of that graceful tongue.

I'd even write that in ALL CAPS if someone disparaged it.
    Complete rubbish,bunkum,hogwash disparage,disparage,disparage:lol:
    Caps on.:grin:
  • HondenHonden Dallas, TX Veteran
    edited November 2010
    caps-lock-no-tnecessary-all-the-time.jpg

I think Caps Lock was once described as cruise control for lazy people.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited November 2010
    No, no: "Caps lock is cruise control for cool."
    edited November 2010
    Lincoln wrote: »
    SOMETIMES IT IS CATHARTIC AND PROPERLY EMPHATIC.

OTHER TIMES IT IS USEFUL FOR ADMINS TO TROLL MEMBERS WHO ARE SENSITIVE ABOUT IT.
    ;)

HA! SORRY FOR OPINING!

Seriously, I do heartily appreciate all the good humor here!

And of course I KNOW that ALL YOU BODHISATTVAS OUT THERE recognize that I was referring to the need for people to bear in mind that LINES IN ALL CAPS given in response to another post should not be stereotype-making, in much the same way that portraying cartoons or other images to lampoon another are not skillful ways of true communication.

I know that silly notions making light of another's sentiments expressed in a previous post will GENERALLY NOT BE EXPRESSED IN ALL CAPS!

All this said in order that channels of communication between people using this board will not be narrowed by misunderstanding. Keeping the channels of communication open is perhaps the best chance we have for peace on this blue-green earth.